Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Do you guys know if we get any decent plywood in SA? I used shutterply for all the ply bits. I managed to get knot free sections by very creatively breaking down a sheet but it still had a lot of voids.

Its nice and easy stuff to work though so Im quite keen to use it again with other projects on my to-do list.

Birch ply is probably what you're looking for, but oh so expensive. Paid R900 for sheet recently.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

marine ply if you want to be kwaai?

I thought marine ply was just a bit miff like the shutterply but for outdoor applications?

You fancy okes in CT can at least get birch even if it is vrek expensive.

Birch ply is probably what you're looking for, but oh so expensive. Paid R900 for sheet recently.

I would still take that price considering shutter cost me around R450 a sheet. The only places I have seen it though are in CT and one dealer in JHB.

I thought marine ply was just a bit miff like the shutterply but for outdoor applications?

You fancy okes in CT can at least get birch even if it is vrek expensive.

I would still take that price considering shutter cost me around R450 a sheet. The only places I have seen it though are in CT and one dealer in JHB.

CT just has style :P

Do you guys know if we get any decent plywood in SA? I used shutterply for all the ply bits. I managed to get knot free sections by very creatively breaking down a sheet but it still had a lot of voids.

Its nice and easy stuff to work though so Im quite keen to use it again with other projects on my to-do list.

Yes, we do, if you are willing to pay. Shutterply is used for shuttering, it’s a C/C board, i.e. both faces are C grade which means knots and filler are allowable. B/C boards are fairly good value, one clean face, the other not.

We have some really nice Commercial grade boards in stock, hardwood face, both clear, and very well priced (comparable to packing ply price wise). Unfortunately, only 4, 6 and 12mm.

Seems as if everyone is in a rush - I normally avoided small jobs in January, rather trying to get one large project going early in the year. Last year I only made guns, so this year I decided to see if I can rustle up a few small jobs in Jan. Invoiced around R15K in small <R500 jobs for Jan ... and every single one of them was a rush job  :blink: Quote today, deliver in 2 days max.

My boss (in the IT part of my life) has decided to a)short pay me for Jan and b) try and force me to reduce my hours to 3 days per week, with commensurate pay cut. I can understand it from a short-sighted company perspective, and have seen it coming for a while now, but it sucks man. I had an offer at another IT company last year but didn't feel that the move would be right - my skill set is not 100% up to scratch, and I don't intend to brush up on new stuff as IT has lost it's soul somewhere between 2001 and 2005

So, if anyone has some projects to throw Pretoria way, gimme a shout  :clap:

I've been busy treading water, so a bit late to the discussion.

I work plenty in plywood, built a boat, cabinets etc. Good old exterior ply (not shuttershite) is pretty OK for most garage type jobs or the odd cabinet in Pete's room etc. 

Birch ply in DBN retails about R200-00 per sheet more expensive in thickness than the local pine ply's. In my book that's worth the money, but, is it worth the application?

Marine ply for anything other than a marine application is bonkers. The stuff is heavy being mostly tropical hardwoods and the glue spec is also a weight additive. yes, you have a nice idea use it, otherwise, maak 'n plan.

However, if Lumber City offers you a marine ply without the BS1088 stamp, decline the offer, its k@k and just heavy, makes splinters galore en just generally screws up your Saturday.

I've been busy treading water, so a bit late to the discussion.

I work plenty in plywood, built a boat, cabinets etc. Good old exterior ply (not shuttershite) is pretty OK for most garage type jobs or the odd cabinet in Pete's room etc. 

Birch ply in DBN retails about R200-00 per sheet more expensive in thickness than the local pine ply's. In my book that's worth the money, but, is it worth the application?

Marine ply for anything other than a marine application is bonkers. The stuff is heavy being mostly tropical hardwoods and the glue spec is also a weight additive. yes, you have a nice idea use it, otherwise, maak 'n plan.

However, if Lumber City offers you a marine ply without the BS1088 stamp, decline the offer, its k@k and just heavy, makes splinters galore en just generally screws up your Saturday.

Yeah, the problem in SA starts with the word pine. I've seen shutter ply with so many variations in thickness that it could pass as a 15 - 21 mm sheet.

If you need/can work with ~1m^2 sheets, a good option is to try and source it from one of the juice/concentrate importers. ~18 - 25 mm thick sheets, and some are pretty decent quality. Just avoid the ones with a plastic laminate on one face.

eg.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-construction-materials/other/shutterply-plywood-shutter-ply-18-21-24-25-everything-must-go-hurry-before-its-too-late/1002199397270911294966609

Yeah, the problem in SA starts with the word pine. I've seen shutter ply with so many variations in thickness that it could pass as a 15 - 21 mm sheet.

If you need/can work with ~1m^2 sheets, a good option is to try and source it from one of the juice/concentrate importers. ~18 - 25 mm thick sheets, and some are pretty decent quality. Just avoid the ones with a plastic laminate on one face.

eg.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-construction-materials/other/shutterply-plywood-shutter-ply-18-21-24-25-everything-must-go-hurry-before-its-too-late/1002199397270911294966609

The shutterply is virtually exclusively imported from China and for construction purposes as we all know, so QC on them is questionable.

I like your link, but hell man, why not Durbs, that's at least closer to us.

The shutterply is virtually exclusively imported from China and for construction purposes as we all know, so QC on them is questionable.

I like your link, but hell man, why not Durbs, that's at least closer to us.

Give Granor Passi in Durban a call.

I thought PG Bison is the main supplier locally of SA pine boards? 

Edited by stefmeister

Give Granor Passi in Durban a call.

I thought PG Bison is the main supplier locally of SA pine boards? 

Yip, them, Nova Board etc. Though the shutter ply is too expensive to make locally and lots of importers bringing the CC board in, hence the trade price of R384/18mm sheet.

Ok, I looking for some suggestions on what to use.

I have this Wall, its single brick and its about 2620 tall, floor to ceiling. The wall is in my dining room and basically is like a screen blocking the front door from the dining area.

I want to build a cupboard on the dining room side and Panel the wall on the front door side.

Any Suggestions on would sheets? the Birch ply mentioned above caught my attention. However I would like something along the lines of Kiat. Please note that I am a hobbyist, so most cutting is gonna have to be done by the wood store if possible.