Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Get yourself a Freud blade

Cuts like butter

Thin kerf if your stock is not too thick

Choose the correct blade for the application though.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get yourself a Freud blade

Cuts like butter

Thin kerf if your stock is not too thick

Choose the correct blade for the application though.

I have noticed on youtube that they seem to cut very easily. Im probably going to order one from toolcraft and hopefully it will make things a bit better.

What would you folk suggest is the going price for roughly 2.8m x230mm laminated Oregon timber pieces? Most are oil treated and were used on railway sidings and then retainers on grass banks.

I have noticed on youtube that they seem to cut very easily. Im probably going to order one from toolcraft and hopefully it will make things a bit better.

Putting a decent blade on a cheap saw is not the equivalent of pimping a corsa with 17" mags. There are actual benefits.

man noticed this woodworking thing is super expensive!

Can see why the hobby has seen little growth.

But I must say I enjoy fiddling with the wood stuffs.

What would you folk suggest is the going price for roughly 2.8m x230mm laminated Oregon timber pieces? Most are oil treated and were used on railway sidings and then retainers on grass banks.

Honestly I have no idea, pants or one of the guys who buys wood often might be able to help.

Some progress this evening, I took the smallest ring and cored out the center a bit so that it would fit my 50mm jaws in expansion mode. Then I took a square scrap of oak and turned it round and to fit inside the ring. It was left proud of the surface for a few reasons but the main ones are it is now the base and it makes a spot on the other side to grip in the chuck.

I cant take a pic at the moment because things are busy gluing to that surface.

Base ring and first ring glued to it.

post-4822-0-23883700-1522871963_thumb.jpg

Using a board on the tailstock pressed up against the rings as a clamp.

post-4822-0-90996900-1522871991_thumb.jpg

The rest of the rings still to glue.

post-4822-0-26689100-1522872042_thumb.jpg

I ran out of bluegum so I used a piece of something brown, no idea what it was. Made two identical sized rings and swapped alternate pieces in them to add some contrast to the ring. It will be more apparent when the finish is on.

post-4822-0-37173100-1522872169_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow evening I will do some turning on the current pieces to rough shape before adding more rings, its going to be some tight curves on the inside when its done so shaping earlier will help.

Oregon/Douglas Fir goes for around R25k per cube. Machining costs another ~R3k per cube.

Nice stuff happening here as usual.

Tork Craft! What utter, utter crap! It's actually sinful. White-labelled Chinese rubbish that's being repackaged here by quite a respected distributor. But the quality is unbelievably bad.

Sometimes I'm forced to buy it because I have a job to do to deadline, but I've regretted it every single time.

Like a hole cutter that actually loosens the retaining nut as it drives in; the thread is the wrong way.

A router bit that looks like it's a resharpened (and I use that word very, very loosely) second-hand 13mm bit now at 12.5mm. Both the router and the wood were chattering and shaking. It was like the bit was trying to bounce the material off rather than cut it.

No, seriously, save your money. Tork Craft is "use once, hate the experience, and throw it away" stuff. 

When I saw that Hardware Centre had started stocking it, my head immediately said, "Well, there's the end of Hardware Centre then". I don't believe that any self-respecting retailer, or someone who enjoys hand work, would ever sell it.

Rant over! Feels goooooooooooooooood!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

How thick? The formula for calculating cubic metres would be 2.800 X 0.230 X (thickness, like 0.050 for 50mm). 

My July 2017 Rare Woods cost sheet has merchantable Oregon at R22 460/cube for a 101mm thickness, and clears at R30 000/cube. (Merchantable = knots, shakes and some defects; Clears = largely knot free and good quality for furniture).

Nice stuff happening here as usual.

Tork Craft! What utter, utter crap! It's actually sinful. White-labelled Chinese rubbish that's being repackaged here by quite a respected distributor. But the quality is unbelievably bad.

Sometimes I'm forced to buy it because I have a job to do to deadline, but I've regretted it every single time.

Like a hole cutter that actually loosens the retaining nut as it drives in; the thread is the wrong way.

A router bit that looks like it's a resharpened (and I use that word very, very loosely) second-hand 13mm bit now at 12.5mm. Both the router and the wood were chattering and shaking. It was like the bit was trying to bounce the material off rather than cut it.

No, seriously, save your money. Tork Craft is "use once, hate the experience, and throw it away" stuff. 

When I saw that Hardware Centre had started stocking it, my head immediately said, "Well, there's the end of Hardware Centre then". I don't believe that any self-respecting retailer, or someone who enjoys hand work, would ever sell it.

Rant over! Feels goooooooooooooooood!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Yup, I've had some hit and lots of miss experiences with Tork Craft. Hole saws, hole cutter, Pilot drill bit set, Screw extractors, and a few other things all failed.

Recently bought a few F-clamps that, so far, is holding up. I can't justify Besseys.

I tend to avoid TC as far as possible, but it's becoming the only available brand in most hardware stores. In fact, most tools sold locally are junk, inlcuding Stanley, Eurotool, Grip, Groz etc etc. It's like choosing between having herpes or syphilis.

Yup, I've had some hit and lots of miss experiences with Tork Craft. Hole saws, hole cutter, Pilot drill bit set, Screw extractors, and a few other things all failed.

Recently bought a few F-clamps that, so far, is holding up. I can't justify Besseys.

I tend to avoid TC as far as possible, but it's becoming the only available brand in most hardware stores. In fact, most tools sold locally are junk, inlcuding Stanley, Eurotool, Grip, Groz etc etc. It's like choosing between having herpes or syphilis.

Sad but true. In EL my choices are limited to Tork Craft or Tork Craft.

I had some quick clamps I bought from them and one snapped in the first week. Bought a few from Gelmar for 1/3 of the price and they are all still going strong.

Called a shephards hut, it's our first time and first one. Going to put it up in the caravan park. Sleeps 2 people, small tv/dining room, shower, basin and toilet. Steel construction and going to get covered with wooden planks.3d3f7cbeef2aee456b7b75a246851bcc.jpg

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Called a shephards hut, it's our first time and first one. Going to put it up in the caravan park. Sleeps 2 people, small tv/dining room, shower, basin and toilet. Steel construction and going to get covered with wooden planks.3d3f7cbeef2aee456b7b75a246851bcc.jpg

you have my interest ...... hope you are going to shove as much insulation into that structure as possible

We sell a board that would be ideal to clad that hut, it’s a Magnesium Oxide (MgO) board that’s fireproof, insulates well, stands up to the elements, comes in various finishes and thicknesses. Currently we only bring it in in white (as specified by the Gauteng Education Dept for prefab classrooms), but is available in various finishes, including brick, sandstone and wood.

you have my interest ...... hope you are going to shove as much insulation into that structure as possible

I don't really know the plans myself, father in law saw it somewhere closer to CT and he is the one with the plans and money [emoji848]