Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Eish

We share similar war stories!

Working in the Sawmilling industry over the years have made me a lot more attend!

i have had a very close encounter...i generally do woodwork after hours or on the weekend...i have learnt to switch off the power and put hand tools down when i dont feel 100 %...then rather focus on design or planning for the next day.

I have however hit 2 nails clean off my fingers with a hammer...hitting 6" nails into wood.

i have also shot nails through wood and through my fingers...holding the wood using a nail gun...especially when they dont go straight through.

My son lost 1 finger on the table saw...warned him about cleaning up while working...left the table saw running...slipped on a plank on the floor...put his hand down onto the saw...finger across the workshop...3 hours sitting in ER waiting for a doctor...by the time he got to see the doc t was too late to save the finger.

wearing gloves while working on a drill press is also not a smart idea...i had a bit catch a glove and almost rip my fingers off

one tool that makes me nervous...the band saw...they seem so safe...yet they are deadly.

working in the construction industry...i have seen some serious accidents.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any other carpenters suddenly hit with a big inflow of work? Seems as if every carpenter I know (in Pretoria) is getting snowed under since last week.

Not complaining, I'm glad to have a lot of work. Just strange timing.

that is a good sign!

you say carpenter ... are you doing more decking, pergolas, feature roof, etc or are you more on the joinery side of things?

Any other carpenters suddenly hit with a big inflow of work? Seems as if every carpenter I know (in Pretoria) is getting snowed under since last week.

Not complaining, I'm glad to have a lot of work. Just strange timing.

that is a good sign!

you say carpenter ... are you doing more decking, pergolas, feature roof, etc or are you more on the joinery side of things?

Joinery with a little carpentry thrown in to keep the wolves at bay end of the month. I do a fair bit of cabinetmaking (as trade, not necessarily cabinets) 

Used it as a blanket term like 'houtwerker' - but even that will get my arse kicked :D

Can anybody recommend a company that supplies composite decking?

I want to build a small 3m x 3m, or 4m x 4m deck with one side having a stair. So nothing huge or fancy.

Can anybody recommend a company that supplies composite decking?

I want to build a small 3m x 3m, or 4m x 4m deck with one side having a stair. So nothing huge or fancy.

Try Bryce Munro

He does very nice decking and a cyclist

078 359 8693

He is JHB based

So this is not as impressive as some of the projects typically posted.

This is the progress I have made on my ringbox, and yes it is not much :blush:

I have had to simplify the design considerably based on the time I have to work on it.

So instead of many layers of wood which I would then use to make the box I have opted for this design.

It is simple and therefore achievable, for me.

I have used Yugoslavian beech which I got from Pants Boy (thank you) and the other wood appears to be imbuia judging by the smell when being worked. this I got from Carrera4s (thank you).

So far I just need to chisel out the base, I started on a piece of Rosewood but quickly had to abandon it when the router ripped it in half. To say that wood is hard is an understatement!!!!

Then drill and add the hinges. After that make the edges neat, sand it smooth and then I must decide on how to treat it to really make the grains pop. Any suggestions?

post-35569-0-99632900-1548314323_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-03412800-1548314334_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-16665500-1548314339_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-90361200-1548314347_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-16544600-1548314355_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-58333000-1548314364_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

I have had to simplify the design considerably based on the time I have to work on it.

So instead of many layers of wood which I would then use to make the box I have opted for this design.

I have used Yugoslavian beech which I got from Pants Boy (thank you) and the other wood appears to be imbuia judging by the smell when being worked. this I got from Carrera4s (thank you).

So far I just need to chisel out the base, I started on a piece of Rosewood but quickly had to abandon it when the router ripped it in half. To say that wood is hard is an understatement!!!!

Then drill and add the hinges. After that make the edges neat, sand it smooth and then I must decide on how to treat it to really make the grains pop. Any suggestions?

attachicon.gifWood6.jpg

attachicon.gifWood5.jpg

attachicon.gifWood4.jpg

attachicon.gifWood3.jpg

attachicon.gifWood2.jpg

attachicon.gifWood.jpg

Ooh chisel work is fun, I really enjoy it when I get to use them.

Danish oil is great for getting the wood looking amazing, super easy to apply too.

super glossy hi lacquer type finish ... a ring box is a very tactile element holding something shiny and prized inside, so make the box feel the same way?

attachicon.gifWood6.jpg

attachicon.gifWood5.jpg

attachicon.gifWood4.jpg

attachicon.gifWood3.jpg

attachicon.gifWood2.jpg

attachicon.gifWood.jpg

Danish oil is great for getting the wood looking amazing, super easy to apply too.

^^ This ^^

I like the look of "natural" wood. Danish oil leaves a satin finish on the wood while bringing out the natural grain. Apply, leave and wipe. 

I was actually leaning towards Danish oil funnily enough.

They sell it on takealot which is convenient.........

I was actually leaning towards Danish oil funnily enough.

They sell it on takealot which is convenient.........

Had to go and check that, seems its sold through Strand hardware. Maybe check out BPM toolcraft too, from what I recall theirs was priced better and they have lots of cool stuff aside from that.

WOW.....pop-up advert for a bargain Makita cordless. Drol in die drinkwater...does not include battery/batteries. Like buying a Ferrari , but guess what...it does not include the engine. Very annoying.

WOW.....pop-up advert for a bargain Makita cordless. Drol in die drinkwater...does not include battery/batteries. Like buying a Ferrari , but guess what...it does not include the engine. Very annoying.

Because it comes from overseas and they may not ship it with batteries, most likely.....