Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

My father-in-law gave me a piece of wild olive branch that the wind broke off in his garden a while ago.  I made a matching pen and pencil set with a desk display stand from the branch.  The top of the upright still shows where an axe was used to clean the torn branch.

I tried Woodoc 20 but just could not get it to a good finish with a brush, so I scraped everything off, sanded to 400 grit and finished with boiled linseed oil.  It leaves a silky smooth finish.  I must say, it turned out almost better than I hoped for.

attachicon.gifOkt - Des 2018 3 004 Small.jpg

attachicon.gifOkt - Des 2018 3 005 Small.jpg

I also wanted to give something special to my mechanic friend and sourced this "Gearshift" pen kit from Mr Woodturner.  The detail on the pen is stunning!  The gear lever engage and withdraws the pen refill, with tire threads at the top and below the barrel.  The top of the pen looks like a mag wheel.  The pocket clip resembles a tire lever.   I also wanted to add a display stand - my first plan was to bend a spanner c 90 degrees twice so that the front end of the pen stands in the ring, with the top end of the pen resting in the open end.  Unfortunately my plumbing torch could not get it hot enough and after a few blows from the hammer, it broke right off.  So then my design had to change to use a straight spanner.   The wood is African Rosewood finished with spray-on Polyeurethane (first time I try that - I am quite happy with the finish - much better than a brush!)

attachicon.gifOkt - Des 2018 3 0010 Small.jpg

attachicon.gifOkt - Des 2018 3 006 Small.jpg

attachicon.gifOkt - Des 2018 3 008 Small.jpg

attachicon.gifOkt - Des 2018 3 007 Small.jpg

Very nice, that wild olive is gorgeous wood.

Mr woodturner have a pretty big selection of pen kits, been buying mine there for a few years now.                                                                                               

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My father-in-law gave me a piece of wild olive branch that the wind broke off in his garden a while ago. I made a matching pen and pencil set with a desk display stand from the branch. The top of the upright still shows where an axe was used to clean the torn branch.

I tried Woodoc 20 but just could not get it to a good finish with a brush, so I scraped everything off, sanded to 400 grit and finished with boiled linseed oil. It leaves a silky smooth finish. I must say, it turned out almost better than I hoped for.

attachicon.gifOkt - Des 2018 3 004 Small.jpg

attachicon.gifOkt - Des 2018 3 005 Small.jpg

I also wanted to give something special to my mechanic friend and sourced this "Gearshift" pen kit from Mr Woodturner. The detail on the pen is stunning! The gear lever engage and withdraws the pen refill, with tire threads at the top and below the barrel. The top of the pen looks like a mag wheel. The pocket clip resembles a tire lever. I also wanted to add a display stand - my first plan was to bend a spanner c 90 degrees twice so that the front end of the pen stands in the ring, with the top end of the pen resting in the open end. Unfortunately my plumbing torch could not get it hot enough and after a few blows from the hammer, it broke right off. So then my design had to change to use a straight spanner. The wood is African Rosewood finished with spray-on Polyeurethane (first time I try that - I am quite happy with the finish - much better than a brush!)

attachicon.gifOkt - Des 2018 3 0010 Small.jpg

attachicon.gifOkt - Des 2018 3 006 Small.jpg

attachicon.gifOkt - Des 2018 3 008 Small.jpg

attachicon.gifOkt - Des 2018 3 007 Small.jpg

So...where is the link to your online shop[emoji6]

Very very nice.

So...where is the link to your online shop[emoji6]

Very very nice.

Thanks!

My next project will be cycling specific - will post it here for sale in support of my young friend's cycling career.

But if you have something specific in mind, let me know.

Hi Hubbers. I have two items I'm clearing out. I'm looking for fair offers. Please send me a PM and I'll answer ay questions as best as possible, not being a woodworker myself. Shipping not included. I'm in Greenstone Jhb.

1/4 inch router bit set, nos in box.

Stanley 4 hand planer used, in old original damaged box.

post-388-0-75471500-1546418640_thumb.jpg

post-388-0-42072400-1546418669_thumb.jpg

post-388-0-21814200-1546418694_thumb.jpg

post-388-0-05430300-1546418715_thumb.jpg

post-388-0-92113300-1546418736_thumb.jpg

post-388-0-29312200-1546418767_thumb.jpg

Had to make a baby changing station for the laaitjie that's arriving in 9 weeks over December

Money was tight so I had to use old door frames I had, with some Sapele for the drawer front.

Its on wheels, not sure if the "mobile station" will work as intended

Wife is happy thought

Very nice, simple and effective. Plus, it can be repurposed later. Would make a lekker sideboard or kitchen island. 

Had to make a baby changing station for the laaitjie that's arriving in 9 weeks over December

Money was tight so I had to use old door frames I had, with some Sapele for the drawer front.

Wife is happy thought

I love it when stuff gets repurposed. Waste not, want not. Nicely done.

Wife is happy thought

Looks good - the only issue might be your baby will quickly become to long/tall to change comfortably across the width - you will probably start using it lengthwise quite quickly - so plan it's location in the room to allow that as well.

Looks good - the only issue might be your baby will quickly become to long/tall to change comfortably across the width - you will probably start using it lengthwise quite quickly - so plan it's location in the room to allow that as well.

The inexperience of a first time dad I suppose.

Thanks for the heads up. 

Congrats on the little one on the way!

Don't worry, money will always be tight if you have kids :P

So when you are done with that unit you will certainly be able to sell it for a couple of Z.A.R as solid timber baby furniture always sells well and retains it's "value"

Wife is happy thought

If you have a second one you will also realise that they are tougher than they look and will be far more relaxed with things .... that 1.0029 second rule of the dummy falling on the floor and having to be clinically sterilised before going back into the first born's mouth very quickly becomes a let it roll on the floor, down the street, being caught in the dog's mouth and then removed with your hands full of old bicycle grease .... then to just be wiped off on your dirty cycle kits before going back into second born's mouth

Thanks for the heads up. 

Thanks for the heads up. 

Congratulations though - it will be a good experience in about 10 years time.... :)

1 small handling tip when changing nappies - put the new nappie over the nether regions when changing boys..... else you will get wet sometime or another.... girls too, but if you are quick you are more likely to save yourself.... boys.... pfft... no chance... :) :) :)

Congratulations though - it will be a good experience in about 10 years time.... :)

1 small handling tip when changing nappies - put the new nappie over the nether regions when changing boys..... else you will get wet sometime or another.... girls too, but if you are quick you are more likely to save yourself.... boys.... pfft... no chance... :) :) :)

Small trick we learned while.changing nappies was to expose the nether regions to some fresh air and then cover them up and wait a minute. Usually manages to catch the #1 in the old nappy before you put on a fresh one.... "Usually"

Congrats on the little one on the way!

Don't worry, money will always be tight if you have kids [emoji14]

So when you are done with that unit you will certainly be able to sell it for a couple of Z.A.R as solid timber baby furniture always sells well and retains it's "value"

If you have a second one you will also realise that they are tougher than they look and will be far more relaxed with things .... that 1.0029 second rule of the dummy falling on the floor and having to be clinically sterilised before going back into the first born's mouth very quickly becomes a let it roll on the floor, down the street, being caught in the dog's mouth and then removed with your hands full of old bicycle grease .... then to just be wiped off on your dirty cycle kits before going back into second born's mouth

Best advice I got was from my GP (who I also cycle with)

A healthy baby needs 3 things;

1. Dirty floors

2. Dogs

3. Breast milk

Our daughter got all 3 and so far she is one of the healthiest kids in our antenatal group (we still get together once a month 2 years down the line to share war stories)

Anyone know where I can get something like this in Gauteng? I don't even know what it's called, a drilling jig, perhaps? I don't need a hand drill press, I need this plunger sort of thing as I need to drill wall tiles and this will help with not cracking it.

ZpkSdYN.jpg

Anyone know where I can get something like this in Gauteng? I don't even know what it's called, a drilling jig, perhaps? I don't need a hand drill press, I need this plunger sort of thing as I need to drill wall tiles and this will help with not cracking it.

ZpkSdYN.jpg

What you need is a diamond-tipped ceramic drill bit, a lot of patience and some water to cool the drill bit as it bites into the tile. 

You can get the bits from any hardware store.