Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Mmmmmm a dedicated wine room.....

One day when I am big.....

As a side note we just took delivery of our grown up Christmas presents. One mixed case from Platform 62 in Ashton and another mixed case from Lacotte Wines in Franschoek.

we just cordoned off an area with standard glass from showers.

its only after this was done i found out how much of a rip off custom wine installs are. 

so now i need help either doing it myself or finding a keen woodworker willing to take on the project

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its only after this was done i found out how much of a rip off custom wine installs are. 

so now i need help either doing it myself or finding a keen woodworker willing to take on the project

What about getting some of those "wine bricks" that you can get from most builders merchants?

840f21f420ed872d241bc0a1e85d333331691427

What about getting some of those "wine bricks" that you can get from most builders merchants?

840f21f420ed872d241bc0a1e85d333331691427

its a nice idea, just not very efficient on a wine bottle to area ratio

i have limited space to work with... 

its also sort of a feature room so i feel wood would make for the best finish

I like the idea of storing them like this. Obviously not the most efficient use of space but it allows you to easily see the labels and show off your collection.

Diy-wine-glass-rack-wine-cellar-modern-w

Edited by Grebel

I like the idea of storing them like this. Obviously not the most efficient use of space but it allows you to easily see the labels and show off your collection.

Diy-wine-glass-rack-wine-cellar-modern-w

oh thats magical.

i saw something very similar at decorex. stunning and simplistic.

but at over R100k for my little room it was a total laugh

oh thats magical.

Jeepers, that's a lot! For something that you can probably get done for ~5k at your local steel facricator, and put up yourself. 

Jeepers, that's a lot! For something that you can probably get done for ~5k at your local steel facricator, and put up yourself. 

exactly.

its the same with any decent wooden option.

i fully understand that wood is not cheap. but it seems as soon as you mention wine the price triples

oh thats magical.

R100k might be excessive depending on what it includes. But if you ask your local timber supplier for pricing on solid wood, you’d quickly realize it doesn’t come cheap. You can work on cost of materials plus that sum times 2 for labour. That’s what kitchen cupboard installers charge for something a bit more complicated than building lego. Edited by stefmeister

exactly.

i fully understand that wood is not cheap. but it seems as soon as you mention wine the price triples

If you are going to go steel, get it drawn up on CAD (some of the laser guys offer a drawing service at a small fee), and get the brackets laser cut and you can do the powdercoat/paint and assembly?

If you want timber, another option is getting the brackets cut on a CNC router. You just source and supply the timber.

exactly.

I had a 400 bottle rack built into my last Joburg house. Price was not terrible. I'll try dig out the guys number for you over the weekend.

Similar style to this, but not components.

0014730_vinrack-wooden-wine-rack-48-bott

With your room layout you should consider doing the main wall as a display unit, and the other 2 walls as storage/aging racks

Edited by GrahamS2

I had a 400 bottle rack built into my last Joburg house. Price was not terrible. I'll try dig out the guys number for you over the weekend.

Similar style to this, but not components.

0014730_vinrack-wooden-wine-rack-48-bott

With your room layout you should consider doing the main wall as a display unit, and the other 2 walls as storage/aging racks

that would be great! and looks perfect.

really appreciate the help

my plan was mainly for wine. i also have a couple nice whiskeys that i might want to display.

the lighting in the room is already on a dimmer so i can get the atmosphere just right

Edited by Furbz

OK, so I've never been any good at woodwork, but I was doing a repair on something at home and had an offcut of wood and so made this for my son: 

IMG_20181215_231125_zpsjpyvknya.jpg

First time since school days that I've made anything out of wood... It's super simple, being basically 2D, but the wheels are wide enough apart so it stands on its own and my boy loved it and took it everywhere with him!

:lol:

OK, so I've never been any good at woodwork, but I was doing a repair on something at home and had an offcut of wood and so made this for my son: 

IMG_20181215_231125_zpsjpyvknya.jpg

First time since school days that I've made anything out of wood... It's super simple, being basically 2D, but the wheels are wide enough apart so it stands on its own and my boy loved it and took it everywhere with him!

:lol:

Like it isn't enough, I love it! :thumbup:  :clap:

Great job mr VB. If you need more pallet pine in EL give me a shout, got a great place to get it from for very cheap and very good quality.

Great thanks.

I had a contact at a refrigeration company and got mine for free, he however doesn't work for the company anymore and this was my last lot

Many options here, all depends on the look you’re going for and budget. The folks at Riverwoods made some really nice units for our basement cellar:

https://www.riverwoods.co.za/wine-racks

More budget oriented, have a chat with Karl at Shelf Space:

https://shelfspace.co.za

He will be able to do something similar to this:

04f62153d56306e5ea5d15b907d7c149.jpg

If you’re not in a hurry, and can wait till the laser shops open up again, I’d build something like this, with laser cut bottle cradles:

6f51cbd968c4d2d28ab8a69d2b2130a6.jpg

Here’s a simple wood option, with some subtle led backlighting, could look really nice.

8db6879fd80759c4a1b07ef55107baa0.jpg

As I say, many options, search Pinterest, decide which look you like and what suits your home, and then take it from there.

Here’s a simple wood option, with some subtle led backlighting, could look really nice.

8db6879fd80759c4a1b07ef55107baa0.jpg

As I say, many options, search Pinterest, decide which look you like and what suits your home, and then take it from there.

This, but the opposite way (bottoms out) would be awesome for the storage rack with a few pieces of Kiaat / Walnut / cherry / rosewood etc. Simple 2m long boards with holes drilled in em. Simple, effective, cheapish. For the display rack, this orientation is superb. 

Edited by Cptmayhem