Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Any woodworkers who prefer to use, or like to use hand tools?

I love hand tools, Im just not great with them. I have a bunch and they make me happy whenever I look at them.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use hand tools most of the time.  It is cheaper to get into woodworking with hand tools and for me there is more satisfaction in completing a project using hand tools rather than power tools.  If money was not a problem and I had to get stuff done quick, power tools are obviously more suited for that.  But if you are your only customer then that customer can wait a bit longer for his project to be finished.  

Maybe if I had the money to buy a decent table saw, jointer, a dovetail jig and all that sort of stuff that makes live easier I might change my mind on hand tools.  For now it is all I got.  

I do want to save up and buy a drill press.  There is no way I am able to drill a straight hole in wood, I have tried and failed on numerous occasions.

I bought a floor standing one from Adendorf, the quality is actually pretty decent and it wasnt that expensive. Its a very well used tool in my workshop and I dont regret buying it at all.

I can't walk past a Stanley or Record spoke shave though, I don't ever use them much, but I love having them. I sometimes just sit with coffee and some background music admiring them and realising that they were never really used by the previous owners either.  

Haha! I fully understand that. My hand plane cabinet gets stared at often.

I bought something like that a year or 2 ago, used it once and it now sits in my scrap bin.  The one I got was a bit cheaper than this one, this one looks much more sturdy that the one I have.  There was to much play in mine and the shaft of the chuck was not 100% straight.  Maybe I should try my luck with this one. 

I still think a drill press from Adendorff will be a better investment.  The next project I have that require perpendicular holes I will probably close my eyes and buy a 16mm bench drill press from them.

I also have an Adendorf bench top drill press. I paid R 1000 second hand - it was so cheap because one of the pulleys at the top was loose.  Once I tightened it, and I replaced the belts a bit later on, it works 100%.  Very happy with it for the price I paid. 

But those holes coming up will be in my workbench top.  Will be a bit difficult to get the > 100 kg bench onto the drill press table.   :lol:  :D

Hi CJ Van,

I also struggle with perpendicular holes by hand...  And I have quite a number of them coming up soonish.

Have anybody tried this?

1318_s1-new-2.jpg

https://hardwarecentre.co.za/product/accu-drill-mate/

PS:  I see Hardware Centre has EVENTUALLY launched their online store!!!!  I find they are often cheaper that Toolcraft - but to always have to call / email for a quote and then an EFT made that I only used them if Toolcraft did not have stock.

PS PS:  Do you guys know the good Afrikaans for "eventually"?   Na 'n moerse gesukkel!   :lol:  :lol:

I'm trying to 3D print a mobile press based on this design, I have a corded ryobi drill with a round section where it will be able to bolt the guides. I'm using 25mm square tubing for lateral stiffness. It's only a question of whether the 3D printed parts will hold up. For the odd straight hole I need to drill I guess it should be fine.

I also have an Adendorf bench top drill press. I paid R 1000 second hand - it was so cheap because one of the pulleys at the top was loose.  Once I tightened it, and I replaced the belts a bit later on, it works 100%.  Very happy with it for the price I paid. 

But those holes coming up will be in my workbench top.  Will be a bit difficult to get the > 100 kg bench onto the drill press table.   :lol:  :D

I also considered one of those drill adapters, but ended up making a jig for the bench dog holes.

Get an auger bit - which I suppose you'd need in any case to get through a decently thick top. 

Make a jig by drilling a guide hole with your drill press in a nice hardwood block (I'd say at least 70 mm thick). If you can add a metal tube or bushing of appropriate diameter then it'll last longer - but the auger bit won't cut to much into the sides of the guide hole.

Add stops to the jig so that you have a constant distance from the edge of the top as well as a pin to  ensure even spacing between holes. That way you don't have to measure anything. Hope it makes sense. 

Edit, a picture is worth more.

Drill%2Bguide.png

Edited by stefmeister

I also considered one of those drill adapters, but ended up making a jig for the bench dog holes.

Get an auger bit - which I suppose you'd need in any case to get through a decently thick top. 

Make a jig by drilling a guide hole with your drill press in a nice hardwood block (I'd say at least 70 mm thick). If you can add a metal tube or bushing of appropriate diameter then it'll last longer - but the auger bit won't cut to much into the sides of the guide hole.

Add stops to the jig so that you have a constant distance from the edge of the top as well as a pin to  ensure even spacing between holes. That way you don't have to measure anything. Hope it makes sense. 

Edit, a picture is worth more.

Drill%2Bguide.png

Tx Stefmeister,

This certainly was my idea until I came across the drill adaptor - (with the metal bushing and distance  guides as well).  One dilemma is that the auger (20 mm Alpen) is 20 mm only right at the tip, c 10 mm later it reduces to 19 mm.  So I will need a 19 mm ID bushing, and I will have to leave the bottom c 20 mm of the guide at 20 mm diameter, or maybe open.  Hmm, that should probably work - that will also assist in clearing the chips away so they don't have to go through the guide bushing as well.

I also just realised that the adaptor will not work - my auger is 235 mm long and needs an 11mm chuck - this adaptor only have a 3/8th chuck (9.5mm)...

I nearly bought ones of those Milescraft presses for doing dog holes in my bench. The only other way really is to make a jig to guide the bit but that never seemed like a good idea to me.

If anyone is interested in some blocks from a London Plane tree pop me a message. Blocks are 30cmx30cmx62cm or 30cmx30cmx42cm

The parts have been printed, now I just need to attach the square tubing to the base. Hopefully the base will seat tightly and the guide on the drill will be able to slide freely with no play. 

Yes the parts are printed in black with glitter, I did not pay close enough attention when I ordered it. 

post-84485-0-53449300-1591897473_thumb.jpg

The parts have been printed, now I just need to attach the square tubing to the base. Hopefully the base will seat tightly and the guide on the drill will be able to slide freely with no play. 

Yes the parts are printed in black with glitter, I did not pay close enough attention when I ordered it. 

attachicon.gif20200611_193817.jpg

Could you share the file please?

attachicon.gif20200611_193817.jpg

If thats PLA use washers for those holes, Also make sure to keep the files as the PLA doesn't like compression/tension over long periods of time, it deforms somewhat like clay being pushed on. This is the main reason I have for wanting to print ABS and or PETG.

*Glitter makes it cool! I have normal black its okish*

Edited by Amberdrake

The base of my workbench is done (maybe I'll add a shelf later) and I added some retractable castors.  Maybe you can use the design for your bench / machines.

This guy's designs was my inspiration:

The base of my workbench is done (maybe I'll add a shelf later) and I added some retractable castors.  Maybe you can use the design for your bench / machines.

This guy's designs was my inspiration:

Love the design!

My wife was saying what beautiful wood you used for the mount system. I explained what it was and she says "Rosewood... for castors... ?!?!" :D :D

If thats PLA use washers for those holes, Also make sure to keep the files as the PLA doesn't like compression/tension over long periods of time, it deforms somewhat like clay being pushed on. This is the main reason I have for wanting to print ABS and or PETG.

*Glitter makes it cool! I have normal black its okish*

I'll see how it holds up, I have some ABS, but the printer needs some setting up to be able to print it and it is a bit cold at the moment. 

The part will not have high loads on it or prolonged loads it is meant to slide smoothly on the rails.