Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

quick question to the more knowledgeable: can i use a Ryobi table saw to cut railway sleepers, or do they require something a lot stronger?

I've done sleeper sections on a Ryobi, it is seriously time consuming and causes huge dust clouds.

If you're not in a hurry, seeks an operation with a large and strong enough band saw or preferably circular saw to do the process for you. It is a two person job too, so if you don't have a helper with horse power you're buggered in any case

Edit: I neglected to add that I had to anchor that Ryobi table saw with sand bags and a large chain, so rather not try it, its a PIA

Edited by Ed-Zulu

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quick question to the more knowledgeable: can i use a Ryobi table saw to cut railway sleepers, or do they require something a lot stronger?

I dont think that would even work for the pine ones.

Heck my 2HP 16" bandsaw cant even resaw them.

CCA Treated lumber. How safe is it to use for household projects, not anything food related. 

On another note, where is the best place to buy wood apart from builders, Buco, etc.? I want to build a desk top but don't necessarily want to use pine. 

CCA Treated lumber. How safe is it to use for household projects, not anything food related. 

On another note, where is the best place to buy wood apart from builders, Buco, etc.? I want to build a desk top but don't necessarily want to use pine. 

Rarewoods in Epping. They have just about anything you can imagine in stock. Depending on what you choose, the cost can be reasonable compared to rubbish pine from the usual places to astronomical. But always worth going there to have a look.

Rarewoods in Epping. They have just about anything you can imagine in stock. Depending on what you choose, the cost can be reasonable compared to rubbish pine from the usual places to astronomical. But always worth going there to have a look.

Thank you, I've looked around on their website. Would you say their prices are on par with what I would typically pay?

Thank you, I've looked around on their website. Would you say their prices are on par with what I would typically pay?

They stock really good stuff, but they also stock basics. For the basics I don't think it is much more expensive, if at all, but I think their quality is much better. For the rarer stuff, it is eye wateringly expensive, but I cannot compare because they are the only people in Cape Town that stock that. 

See DJR already pointed you in the right direction.

Just a note with CCA timber - its usually so cupped or twisted that you spend more time correcting it than using it, so spend the extra cash on raw straight material or PAR ready to use. Puts the fun back unless you like playing with planers and jointers

See DJR already pointed you in the right direction.

Just a note with CCA timber - its usually so cupped or twisted that you spend more time correcting it than using it, so spend the extra cash on raw straight material or PAR ready to use. Puts the fun back unless you like playing with planers and jointers

And be careful if you buy from a new bundle..... I chose a few "straight" pieces from a new bundle for an outside project. By the time I got home, what looked reasonable in the timber yard looked more like a hand of bananas by the time I unloaded it.

And be careful if you buy from a new bundle..... I chose a few "straight" pieces from a new bundle for an outside project. By the time I got home, what looked reasonable in the timber yard looked more like a hand of bananas by the time I unloaded it.

:D

I recently built myself a rack to hang my chisels on the wall.  It has a blade guard at the bottom to prevent me hitting the sharp edges by accident and it can unhook form the wall to carry it to my bench.  The blade guard then provides quite a wide base to keep it upright.  It hangs on the wall with two "blind" cleats that slides into a recess at the back of the panel.

https://youtu.be/GbBfjcji6fw

post-50518-0-62034000-1590390465_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-58562300-1590390479_thumb.jpgpost-50518-0-16058700-1590390489_thumb.jpgpost-50518-0-42348500-1590390499_thumb.jpgpost-50518-0-74292800-1590390509_thumb.jpgpost-50518-0-90177600-1590390530_thumb.jpgpost-50518-0-89848300-1590390560_thumb.jpg

I recently built myself a rack to hang my chisels on the wall.  It has a blade guard at the bottom to prevent me hitting the sharp edges by accident and it can unhook form the wall to carry it to my bench.  The blade guard then provides quite a wide base to keep it upright.  It hangs on the wall with two "blind" cleats that slides into a recess at the back of the panel.

https://youtu.be/GbBfjcji6fw

attachicon.gifBR1.jpg

attachicon.gifBR2.jpgattachicon.gifBR3.jpgattachicon.gifBR4.jpgattachicon.gifBR5.jpgattachicon.gifBR6.jpgattachicon.gifBR8.jpg

That looks really good, I love the French cleat idea for mounting it.

Not only for woodworking but general handyman use - what is the best cordless drill around? Makita, DeWalt, ???

Doesn't have to be a hammer drill.

Edited by MTBeer

Not only for woodworking but general handyman use - what is the best cordless drill around? Makita, DeWalt, ???

I have a small 10.8 V Festool - very nice and light for light duty work - quick to swop between attachments.  With all the attachments it works very well!  But If I have to buy again, I would probably get 2 x 12V Bosh blue drills and dedicate one to drilling and the other to screws.  (You can probably get 3 of them for the price of the Festool set).  This one is perfect for melamine cabinet construction and even holes up to 8 - 10 mm in hardwood and screws (pre-drilled) up to c 5 - 6 mm in hardwood.

Then I have a BIG Makita 18V for heavy duty stuff - very good as well (XPH07Z). Hammer action as well.  Ever since I have this, even my corded SDS mostly stays in its case, unless I have lots of hard concrete to do.  I importted this through Amazon, 

Don't think you can go wrong with any of Makita, Bosch (blue), Dewalt, or Festool.

The key is to decide which brand you like best cause once you start, it's easier to buy the bare tool next time since the batteries are normally interchangeable between the different tools.  On that point, I think Makita still has the largest range available in SA.

You're not after hammer, so If you're not going to be drilling into brick/concrete or steel or hard woods, the Ryobi (don't 8 me) one is probably fine. I have one and it's great in terms of being a cordless screwdriver and handy light drill. I wouldn't have any issues using it for a deck for example, or alu sections, but I definitely wouldn't use it for steel sections or drilling into a wall. 

Edit: this one https://www.takealot.com/ryobi-18v-li-ion-cordless-driver-drill/PLID49012739?gclid=CjwKCAjw2a32BRBXEiwAUcugiK_hQSwWBXD9irUVUOct5YPY9JKJDwWXb6wYModWUouIGzl7pDPY_hoCjcAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by madbradd

If money allows, DeWalt/Millwakee/Makita etc 18V

If not Bosch will do you fine in 18V

Whatever you do, don't buy Ryoby!

If money allows, DeWalt/Millwakee/Makita etc 18V

If not Bosch will do you fine in 18V

Whatever you do, don't buy Ryoby!

Thanks. Was leaning towards the Makita, but also really like the DeWalt...because its yellow.

Not a Ryobi fan. Sorry madbradd