Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Added a swimming pool hose to the bench to allow the vacuum to sit underneath the bench. Surprisingly it fit to both the miter saw and the vacuum, albeit the wrong way around. Here I thought I was going to have to 3D print some adapters!

UzQW2Wh.jpg

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work patches.

A bit off topic, but I thought DIY wasn't allowed over there? At least I know Aus is quite strict in some areas, you aren't even allowed to change a light bulb, the sparky has to do it.

Well, like most things in life... it depends... :lol:

So as a renting tenant there is very little one can do. Even hanging pictures on walls with nails is a no-no.

As a landlord/owner renting out a property there is also a fair amount of limitation. Particularly with regards to electrical & plumbing. As one is being paid by others fir the use of their property, trades work needs to be carried out by licensed trades people.

As an owner occupier the rules are more relaxed. One replace electrical fittings and fixtures (like for like), run wire (but not connect to mains) and things like that. This is the category I fall into, hence me running all my own wiring, then getting a sparky in to test and connect to mains.

Then there are the consenting issues. These transcend DIY and even apply to professionals, and are only granted through applications to the local council/municipality.

Depending what one is doing their will either need Building Consent (like replacing a roof, structural modification, extensions etc), or the dreaded Resource Consent. This is where the council needs to approve any works based on if the system (water, drainage, sewer, electricity, gas) can sustain them. Things like adding a bathroom (even within an existing footprint) requires resource consent as it puts more demand on the system. Garages/buildings with roof area over a certain amount also required it from a rainfall/drainage point of view. Anything that requires consent is a PITA.

So yeah DIY allowed (depending), but WAY more strict than SA.

I love this so much  :clap:

:ph34r:  :blush:

hahaha I know I should have rounded off those "clouds" and done something like this

post-10758-0-88009800-1608667667_thumb.jpg

I was lazy and figured it'll never be seen :ph34r: :lol:

...but I guess that's the difference between a weekend warrior (me) and a true craftsman. The craftsman would do the better job, whether it will be seen or not.

Side note though, it reminds messing with an engineer on a site where a big cloud-shaped hole was cut out of a concrete slab. I asked him if there was a revision cloud drawn on the plans. He said there was because he forgot to specify a duct opening before the concrete was cast.

I then told him that the contractors must have thought the rev-cloud was the opening itself, so cut the slab to match. He was very concerned, and thought he messed up in his communications with the contractor.

Truth was they were just core drilling to get the bulk of the material out, and were going to neaten it up later :lol:

post-2696-0-87785800-1609054701_thumb.jpeg

post-2696-0-31231200-1609054702_thumb.jpeg

Hey guys, busy with a garage clean out. Got this from the father in law. They used to own the mill, in the then, Machadodorp.

Any idea on what is worth ?

Anyone wanting to take it off my hands before I go to FB market place ?

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2020-12-27 at 08.58.16(1).jpeg

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2020-12-27 at 08.58.16.jpeg

Hey guys, busy with a garage clean out. Got this from the father in law. They used to own the mill, in the then, Machadodorp.

Any idea on what is worth ?

Anyone wanting to take it off my hands before I go to FB market place ?

Nice set of stocks and dies.You need a bit of practice and a steady hand and eye to make a good thread.

One of the most versatile but often overlooked tools. The humble router!

I'm still pretty novice when it comes to router skills, but I keep fining more and more uses for it to make simple tasks neater/easier.

This past weekend I wanted to mount put a Sonos One smart speaker on a shelf in the kitchen, but wanted the power cable to be hidden.

Router to the rescue!

attachicon.gif20201220_143609.jpg

Bottom on the shelf

attachicon.gif20201220_143613.jpg

Underside of the shelf. Excuse the messy handiwork. I had to route out a recess so that the cable isn't pinched when this sits on top of the cabinetry.

attachicon.gif20201220_142704.jpg

Getting power from the adjacent cupboard where the range-hood lives.

attachicon.gif20201220_143849.jpg

Shelf in place. Looks like it was designed that way.

attachicon.gif20201221_071401 - Copy.jpg

Simple job. Could have used a drill, but the overall finish of the router looks way better.

Keen to hear any handy router uses, tips and tricks you guys may have come across over the years.

If you dont already have one, then a trim router is a fantastic tool. I use mine way more than my big router these days and they are very easy to make morticing jigs etc for.

Is that an Amazon echo on the other shelf?

We have one in the kitchen and my wife uses it daily to set timers when cooking or to turn lights on and off. Very useful little things.

Been a good day in the garage today and yesterday, hopefully tomorrow sees the end of perpetually preparing, and me actually starting to make something.

As part of the prep, and me not yet having bought a drill press, I decided to draw up and 3D print a jig for the cordless

VifR7Vy.jpg

I also made a special base for the upcoming project as I need to drill some holes in dowels:

1fnrwIc.jpg

I can also fit spacers inside to fit different size dowels:

5WwbQER.jpg

Made some further progress on the router fence/sliding jig

agwIsjq.jpg

Obviously I had to create a dust port, and in the absence of the correct size hole saw, you oversize the hole, and 3D print a suitable adapter:

paa8jF9.jpg

Oq6nybT.jpg

tIrGV3n.jpg

vz3WcEt.jpg

Been a good day in the garage today and yesterday, hopefully tomorrow sees the end of perpetually preparing, and me actually starting to make something.

As part of the prep, and me not yet having bought a drill press, I decided to draw up and 3D print a jig for the cordless

VifR7Vy.jpg

I also made a special base for the upcoming project as I need to drill some holes in dowels:

1fnrwIc.jpg

I can also fit spacers inside to fit different size dowels:

5WwbQER.jpg

Made some further progress on the router fence/sliding jig

agwIsjq.jpg

Obviously I had to create a dust port, and in the absence of the correct size hole saw, you oversize the hole, and 3D print a suitable adapter:

paa8jF9.jpg

Oq6nybT.jpg

tIrGV3n.jpg

vz3WcEt.jpg

awesome work

In the beginning of Lockdown 1 I had some time to kill and decided to repair a broken old teak chair by grafting in a piece to replace the broken bit. I suppose sensible people would have thrown it away and bought a new one, but I like to think that by restoring an old thing, I do my bit for the environment. This is how it looks after 8 months of weathering.

post-17716-0-92052300-1609326723_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-55147800-1609326968_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

So, when I noticed how badly Stella chewed off (yes, time and rot helped her as well) the bottom corners of the hundred and twenty year old French doors that open to the backyard, I had some handy-time with the arrival of Lockdown 2. So, I had some pieces of teak lying around from an old table that became dilapidated and that I rescued a few years ago. I decided to graft some onto the destroyed Oregon Pine door corners. My reasoning is that it is stronger, more weather resistant and will be painted over anyway, so no need to match the wood. Copious amounts of waterproof glue, dovetails, dowels, hammering, chiseling, sanding and sawing and I am pretty sure the repairs are now more solid than the rest of the doors. Totally nuts if you ask me how much effort and time it took, but very rewarding to know that I saved a bit of tree for my kids! (Sorry, no before pictures available.)

post-17716-0-68199500-1609327518_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-35499100-1609327580_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-25374600-1609327606_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-81097900-1609327625_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

Stella looks chuffed with herself! 

Good job on the repair, that's the sort of tedious work that I don't have the patience for...

Ah dangit, I broke my own rule

tanUjKF.jpg

No buying of tools or no transporting portable tablesaws?

Those Bosch saws are great, my brother in law has one and really likes it. 

The only downside is the strangely shaped mitre slot but it can be easily remedied with a carbide router bit and some patience.

No buying of tools

This  :whistling:

But it sat on Facebook Marketplace for two days at R5K and tempted me, eventually I caved.

Didn't realise that the mitre slot was oddly shaped, but I could probably 3D print an accurate slider at least!

This  :whistling:

But it sat on Facebook Marketplace for two days at R5K and tempted me, eventually I caved.

Didn't realise that the mitre slot was oddly shaped, but I could probably 3D print an accurate slider at least!

What software are you using to do your 3D modeling in please?