Ryder tyre sealant

El Nino

I've used it before, mixed 50/50 with Latex. Worked a charm, not even riding our local vineyards in "duwweltjie" season caused a single flat.

Once my current "brew" is finished, I'm going back to it. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used it (the latex version) and had no issues at all.  I went through a minefield of thorns in Mc Gregor, and after pulling them out the sealant sealed them perfectly.  Every single one.

I have no problem recommending Ryder sealant.

Ryder sealant left me in the dirt on the K2C with a tiny pinhole in that awkward place where the sidewall meets the tread.  whenever I would stop and inflate my wheel, it seals fine, but once you pick up speed, the sealant is too heavy and too thick and centrifugal forces moves it away from the hole.  So after stopping the 4th time on that long downhill section about 10 or 15km in, I dumped out the sealant and went tube for the remainder of the ride.

Won't touch the stuff again with a borrowed braaitang.  Using Tyre Juice and have not had a puncture since I've started.

How long ago was this ? You mention that it seals fine but when you speed up the centrifugal forces cause it to to move to the centre . In other words the Ryder worked fine . Perhaps you just didnt have enough in the tyre 

Those little sidewall holes are a bastard to get sealed no matter the sealant, you often need to take the wheel off and do the Stans shake/dance/sequence/manoeuvre to get them to seal.... and normally then again tomorrow morning and if you are really unlucky the next day after that and after a week it's finally stopped leaking..

Edited by Skylark

You take glitter, pour some (quite a lot) into a bowel, and mix in a about 50ml of engine oil, then stir until the glitter is all fully oiled up.

then, in a second bowel, pour another 50ml of engine oil and then empty a 100ml tube of contact adhesive and stir until consistent.

after that mix the 2 bowels together and divide between 2 tyres, if the mixture is too viscous, you can either add more engine oil, or a small amount of acetone, but not too much or the contact wont dry.

once installed you have 10 minutes get your tyres seated and at the desired pressure, making sure to keep the tyres spinning to avoid pooling, but not so fast that your sealant doesnt reach the bead.

Then bake at 180 until done.

EDIT:

I prefer engine oil instead of engine coolant as the tyre doesn't get hot enough to require it, only the likes of Josh Bryceland and Steve Peat really need to actually use the coolant

EDIT No2:

Do not attempt this with a stans WTB rim/tyre combo, you will break tyre levers!

Edited by mada3400

• 3 years later...

I've used the white latex sealant for some time now with no issues at all but the gooey mess when you remove the tyre has left me frustrated. I'm going to give the Ryder Green Tyre Sealant a try, hopefully it won't disappoint.

Ryder is OK it eventually seals after squirting the whole bike full of sealant.

Enduro seal works best so far for me(out of Stan's,tyre juice, sludge, Ryder) Enduro seal seals almost instantly anything from devil thorn to snakebite. When it sealed that snakebite is where I was amazed by it, side wall and a good couple of millimetres cut on top sealed no problem.