It's very difficult as a Coach too.  Tough to try and motivate athletes to train when there isn't anything to train for.  Zwift has helped a hell of a lot, but even that is becoming a bit stale now.

Were even looking at doing a DC type of ride in the near future, just to give the IM athletes something to aim for.

To my mind this highlights the increasing need for coaches to be as much 'psychologist' as a physical trainer.  

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very difficult as a Coach too.  Tough to try and motivate athletes to train when there isn't anything to train for.  Zwift has helped a hell of a lot, but even that is becoming a bit stale now.

Were even looking at doing a DC type of ride in the near future, just to give the IM athletes something to aim for.

Haha, isn't that the truth!!

Is not only for athletes you are currently coaching, but also new athletes who want to sign up to train with you.  Firstly everyone has been deferred a year, so a lot of events have limited or no spaces for registration.  It becomes frustrating for those new athletes who cannot enter an event so do not sign up with a coach until they know they can enter.  Then you add to that the factor of whether that event will still go ahead.

Is sort of a double whammy for coaches.  Trying to keep current athletes motivated and still training with you and loosing out on potential new athletes who have the urge but come the time when they can enter probably next year, may have moved on to something different, especially if there is no light at the end of the tunnel for such mass participation sports.

It is going to take a long time to unravel even if these vaccines work.

Same boat... However, I've decided to stay fit and active. Swim - bike - run cause I enjoy it. 

Will pick up the training program in a few months time but right now it's all about enjoying the activity. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally back training, had knee surgery in November, removed a lot of cartilage, meniscus was torn apart, so they tried to repair, but ended up removing parts of it, and then replacing my knee cap. 

Managed to start up again in mid Jan, and slowly slowly building up strength and fitness again, so a year later i am as much a newb as i was then, and equally unfit, but i am happy with my improvement and just want to get back in the pool now. PF closed their pools under lockdown 3 grrrrr. 

Still haven’t cycled on the road, still looking for a second bike for the trainer lol 

but oh so grateful to be able to crank the bike again, and wog gently, i thought my attempt at my bucket list Ironman was dead. 

Hoping everyone is keeping their chin up, i am taking this time to really build a solid base for my very first Tri. Whenever that maybe :)

Finally back training, had knee surgery in November, removed a lot of cartilage, meniscus was torn apart, so they tried to repair, but ended up removing parts of it, and then replacing my knee cap. 

Managed to start up again in mid Jan, and slowly slowly building up strength and fitness again, so a year later i am as much a newb as i was then, and equally unfit, but i am happy with my improvement and just want to get back in the pool now. PF closed their pools under lockdown 3 grrrrr. 

Still haven’t cycled on the road, still looking for a second bike for the trainer lol 

but oh so grateful to be able to crank the bike again, and wog gently, i thought my attempt at my bucket list Ironman was dead. 

Hoping everyone is keeping their chin up, i am taking this time to really build a solid base for my very first Tri. Whenever that maybe :)

Welcome back, take it easy and slow.  Concentrate on strength and fitness and rebuilding around the knee for support.  Don't rush back into the running until you have confidence the knee will hold up.  Build up fitness on the trainer and in the pool.  Good luck with the journey ahead.

News from the ridiculous: James Lawrence the iron cowboy has finished day 1, of (hopefully) 100 consecutive ironman distance races.

I wonder what drives a man to do that? 

Good luck to him, we all have our mountains to climb, thankfully mine is just once a year, if that. 

News from the ridiculous: James Lawrence the iron cowboy has finished day 1, of (hopefully) 100 consecutive ironman distance races.

was cool to watch them at eco challenge even though the kiwi's handed them and the rest of the world a hiding again....