[PLEASE APPLY] Visibility On The Road

'Dale

What's the motorbike mnemonic? ATGATT? All-the-gear-all-the-time!

Lights and some thought on vis clothing should be as much second nature as putting your helmet on....

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with the last 2 posts. When I started driving my father said, assume no one else can drive, and think for them as well.

I have been driving (with a license)  for the last 14 years, with no accident. When on my bike and bicycle, I do the same. If the sun is coming straight from the front in the early mornings, I try to change my route, because i know, If i am struggling to see, so are the cars. 

This is just a simple example. 

I know and agree that we are allowed on the road, and we have all the same rights. but self preservation is also important. 

I have to agree with the last 2 posts. When I started driving my father said, assume no one else can drive, and think for them as well.

I have been driving (with a license)  for the last 14 years, with no accident. When on my bike and bicycle, I do the same. If the sun is coming straight from the front in the early mornings, I try to change my route, because i know, If i am struggling to see, so are the cars. 

This is just a simple example. 

I know and agree that we are allowed on the road, and we have all the same rights. but self preservation is also important. 

A mate of mine described your exact approach as 'situational awareness'. He's a pilot, as well as a cyclist, so I think that's drilled into them. He's certainly made me read-the-situation far more than I used to.

On my ride this morning I came across 3 guys riding, no front or rear lights, crazy stuff. 

Next time, stop and have a chat to them about becoming organ donors, getting them to ride with an organ donor ID card will be a good thing to do. :ph34r: I'm only half-kidding about this.

Edited by DJR

A mate of mine described your exact approach as 'situational awareness'. He's a pilot, as well as a cyclist, so I think that's drilled into them. He's certainly made me read-the-situation far more than I used to.

Situational awareness should be drilled into people from an early age.

Be aware of everything around you at all times, at all times. It might be over the top, but it can save your life.

When you go to a mall or school, or shop or anything, where are the exits? where are the fire extinguishers? where do you park? can you find your car in a rush? Can you remember how you got into the parking lot? can you get out in a rush if you have to?

When you on your bike, look at the cars, pay attention to the way they sway in a lane. Pay attention to your own front wheel. Use your hands to indicate what you want to do. Turn your head (I have a light on the top of mine always on) to look at cars behind you before you lane change, or turn left.

I feel that cyclists need take it upon themselves to make sure they are visible at all times of the day and not only when it is dark! FOR YOUR OWN SELF PRESERVATION!

It is always the drivers fault for not seeing us but we are also in part at fault for expecting drivers to see a small and often dark moving object while trying to concentrate on all the other hazards on 4-16 wheels.

I dont want to hi-jack this thread.  Thus I replied here (post 404) -

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/165834-how-to-stop-the-cycling-carnage-on-sas-roads/page-26

With it moving towards summer in South Africa and it getting lighter. I urge everyone to still use your lights. I have seen too many weekend warriors with no lights early Saturday mornings. Just cause it's going to get light doesn't make it safer. Lots of dronkies on the road in the early hours to.

Edited by J∆kk∆ls

With it moving towards summer in South Africa and it getting lighter. I urge everyone to still use your lights. I have seen too many weekend warriors with no lights early Saturday mornings. Just cause it's going to get light doesn't make it safer. Lots of dronkies on the road in the early hours to.

The time immediately before and after sunrise is the most dangerous, even more than earlier when it is still pitch dark. That is because the sun is low on the horizon and it often blinds drivers. They simply don't see you when you have the sun on your back and in their eyes. Agreed, keep the lights on, even during the day!  

The time immediately before and after sunrise is the most dangerous, even more than earlier when it is still pitch dark. That is because the sun is low on the horizon and it often blinds drivers. They simply don't see you when you have the sun on your back and in their eyes. Agreed, keep the lights on, even during the day!  

On our Sunday car-drive the most danger was seen about 90 minutes after sunrise - with the sun at the perfect height to impede visibility.

TIP - if you as a cyclist struggle to see ahead of you - the car behind you cant see much more, and certainly wont be seeing YOU ....   :eek:   :ph34r:

Different perspective on visibility ....

Today I came to work by car, same route that I normally cycle - mostly no street lights, and before 6:00 it is still DARK !!

At 5:35 I encountered one cyclist/commuter along this dark route.

BACK - nice bright slow flashing red light - VERY VISIBLE !

Front - bright front light, ON (not flashing), again very visibly

What got my attention, or should I say got me thinking - my car lights were on DIM, thus NOT shining onto his bright yellow jacket.  Without light shining onto the jacket it was no more visible than any other dark jacket - not until light shines onto it.

Make sure you have high-viz and/or reflective items LOW down - to catch the light when cars are using lights on DIM setting.

I am frequently amazed at the nr of riders who wear black tops , jackets . I know it's the fashion but hey , what comes 1st ?

Desperately trying to replace my used gilet.  Only black available in this country, or so it seems!!!!!!! 

Will have to make a plan with an overseas traveler again because I am not signed as a organ donor and too young to die trying to look invisible.

Assos Sturmprinz, lollipop red  :thumbup:

omw omw omw omw omw omw omw omw omw omw, thought it was a Sturmprinz..... :drool:

If u fall, u will not be crying over the pain... :D

Edited by Acerunner