Whats happening at Tokai? No more volunteer days? Trails up there could sure use some love...

Yep some tender love needed and the volunteers are there.

No building (wait for winter) but some repairs needed like ruts, loose stones that have rolled onto the trails and a bit of trimming of the shrubbery.

No big teams needed.

Would not require much effort or time.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Me three. A build day sounds mooi. I don't mind Tokai being rough around the edges. Its lekker. So I don't really care about reshaping berms or stuff like that. But some of those ruts are nasty. And dangerous. Filling up the worst of them shouldn't be too much of a task for a full crew one saturday morning.

I want to clean up the snakes a bit so I can ride my drop bar bike down there without feeling like it's a bad decision.....

I also do think that those trails are more fun ridden FAST and some of the corners could do with a bit of love to make carrying speed through them a bit less daunting.

I'm not talking make them roads.... just make them a bit faster.

Cobra is it's nice loose, sketchy self which makes me happy.

Who would be up for a maintenance day (morning)?

Very early Saturday morning.

Maybe we could organize something.

Please ??

I'm in with one other.

Edited by porqui

I was there late last week and hadn't ridden there is a while. I thought there was some work there recently? Cobra was good apart from the rock 'V' on the 3rd turn but that is me looking at it going 'Avoid the V, avoid the V' and then not avoiding it. 

I didn't think snakes were that bad as compared to the time I rode it before. Okay that was about 3 months ago.

I did get a shock however when entering AM pretty hot and expecting it to be pretty normal one to find that someone had dumped a load more rocks and made a fun tech rock garden before the first drop. My rims were not so excited about it as I pin-balled through it. 

The Faerie Garden trail reopening is well underway. What you need to bear in mind is that its now an alien forest so its not completely exposed. The start and end points will be slightly different and only revealed once the rest of the track has been completed. There is still much alien hacking and a bridge to restore. Its a case that the time was right to get this trail opened up. I need to confer with the other TokaiMTB peeps but I believe it will be a climbing only trail which will make it somewhat unique at Tokai. 

As Myles has pointed out, TokaiMTB survives on donations and funding is very constrained. Donations would be much appreciated and tangible differences would be visible on the trails in no time. Rather think about donating than build days.  The fact that the trails are as good as they are is testimony to the value add the TokaiMTB build team delivers compared to contracted in trail builders. For evidence of what they can do, look  no further than the Vasbyt berms, AM trail and Lizard. 

The trails mentioned in previous posts are all on the to do list. Mamba degrades quickly due to the soil type and clay will have to be brought in to again rid it of some of the trickier holes. The AM trail suffered in parts from water damage. The ruts were knee deep in the area that is now full of rocks. These were placed there as a swift solution. It is now far more rideable than it was after the ruts formed. Also bear in mind that this trail is a pucker black diamond trail that has degraded as such trails always do.  Black trails need to be inspected by newcomers and ridden with care by returnees especially after a a long gap since last riding them.

The Faerie Garden trail reopening is well underway.

I need to confer with the other TokaiMTB peeps but I believe it will be a climbing only trail which will make it somewhat unique at Tokai.

Is it going to be roughly the same as before or is there any chance of it extending up to level two or three?  Climbing up to that point along the road is the worst part of Tokai. 

Roots. Bring back Roots. 

My roots or your roots? Or your roots and my roots?

It would take an eternity to break us.......... (sorry)

Yeah both those lines!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

jebus, i miss that trail. 

Aweh. Was like the highlight before you hit the parking. Hell I remember when time was tight after work in winter I would go just to session that a couple times. Enough with the nostalgia already. I'm more excited to see what changes will be carved out. 

Aweh. Was like the highlight before you hit the parking. Hell I remember when time was tight after work in winter I would go just to session that a couple times. Enough with the nostalgia already. I'm more excited to see what changes will be carved out. 

A resurgence of DROP DANGER DROP on the entry (yes, I know, relocated from DH1) with a B line to the side... into that off camber right hander over the roots... 

NOMNOMNOM

Edited by Cptmayhem

I remember 3 lines. One followed the jeep track across a bridge and brought you out opposite faerie.

Others from the corner of the jeep track just after the quarry. That followed the contour of the bend around then steep downs an exit to the right back onto the jeep track. If you stayed left you would exit at a small jump with a water feature like in a steeple race.