The Home Improvement Thread

dev  null

My wall sound proofing project... fitting 40mm Isover Soundlite board against 1 cm wooden slats I bolted to the wall - the 1cm gap ensure the sound waves are broken up a bit. Still need to fit a solid door or perhaps another door. To finish it off I'll fit rhinoboards against it.

Our nanny is a bit loud one her phone and my sons room is adjacent to her room.

post-2515-0-60131500-1480683697_thumb.jpg

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wall sound proofing project... fitting 40mm Isover Soundlite board against 1 cm wooden slats I bolted to the wall - the 1cm gap ensure the sound waves are broken up a bit. Still need to fit a solid door or perhaps another door. To finish it off I'll fit rhinoboards against it.

Our nanny is a bit loud one her phone and my sons room is adjacent to her room.

Awesome, wanna make a sound room at home. Where did you get the soundlite and what do they cost?

Awesome, wanna make a sound room at home. Where did you get the soundlite and what do they cost?

Got it from www.kue.co.za - was about R2k for 20 sheets (40*1600*500). Wasn't easy to find a dealer close to my house - these guys were only 2km away!

I just moved into a new place, unfortunately I'm still renting. I am however someone who believes that it is worth upgrading your living standard even if it is to the permanent advantage of someone else, so I'm willing to make a few permanent upgrades.

So far on my DIY list for the next 2/3 months are:

1) Industrial pipe shelf

attachicon.gifshelf.jpg

2) Industrial pipe desk and reloading bench

attachicon.gifDesk.jpg

3) A firepit outside

attachicon.gifFirepit.jpg

I will be starting with the shelf, then the desk and lastly the firepit as I will probably have some red tape to get around which I expect will be somewhat costly.

Any recommendations on the above and what to try/not to try?

Regards

L

I like the look of using the steel piping for the desk structure

Got it from www.kue.co.za - was about R2k for 20 sheets (40*1600*500). Wasn't easy to find a dealer close to my house - these guys were only 2km away!

that link dont work

I like the look of using the steel piping for the desk structure

Over and above the awesome look it does have a few extra perks in my opinion:

1) It can be dissembled and rebuilt to suit your needs;

2) The woodwork is extremely basic!;

3) I can't weld for **** so no welding  :whistling:

*Edit: Fixed my weekend spelling.

Edited by Letum911

Thanks. I was thinking of  using egg crate with sound insulation on top. Would this be effective?

Should work well if Google is to be believed :)

Lol.. I watched a couple of that women's DIY videos that one that dresses all funky and has that heavy put on Saffa accent.. forgot her name.. actually some really good ideas there.

There was something similar to this.. this would work well at the pool area

9148de796e7058e94fad2e1b2f466950.jpg

Edited by Gen

Lol.. I watched a couple of that women's DIY videos that one that dresses all funky and has that heavy put on Saffa accent.. forgot her name.. actually some really good ideas there.

I have seen this idea before, looks awesome! And if you're somewhat handy use a doorstop and some quickset cement to give the back some angle for extra comfort.

If you're on Pintrest (or whatever the spelling is), search "DIY" or "home improvement", very similar ideas and others. PS. That's also how I got the idea of the firepit.

The Goddess you referring to is, Suzelle :wub:

I have seen this idea before, looks awesome! And if you're somewhat handy use a doorstop and some quickset cement to give the back some angle for extra comfort.

If you're on Pintrest (or whatever the spelling is), search "DIY" or "home improvement", very similar ideas and others. PS. That's also how I got the idea of the firepit.

Yeah I also saw it first on Pinterest some very handy ideas there..

I reckon even I will be able to make this.. a nice weekend project for the boys and me.. I think this weekend is a good time.. ..

It looks pretty straight forward.. cinder blocks cement glue wood and then paint.

Now to find cinder blocks.. wonder if cash build stock them..sure they must hey?

Now that I think of it.. there is a corner in my garden that is such an eye sore.. nothing wants to grow there.. may just build one of those benches there and make some sort of kuier area and use Suzelle DIY for the hanging garden there to give it some colour.

Now that I think of it.. there is a corner in my garden that is such an eye sore.. nothing wants to grow there.. may just build one of those benches there and make some sort of kuier area and use Suzelle DIY for the hanging garden there to give it some colour.

The block bench, some artificial grass and kitsch tree ornaments, winner! O ja, and a youtube vid :thumbup: