Review: Lyne Contour Dropper Seatpost

Matt

Any longer term comments on the Lyne Dropper posts?

I've had mine since July this year. Still working great. Starting to feel a bit of play on the seat now...guess this is normal.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of them...the point is this...

Is there any detriment to dropping the saddle further? Not in my mind. So why pay money for a 100mm drop post when you can pay the same for the 150mm one which is far more versatile?

When it gets very steep you notice the lack of travel. I would struggle to go back to my 125mm dropper.

That's nonsensical.

True - at the same cost, buying new or secondhand, that makes sense yes TP.  If there is a substantial price difference, then I would argue for the lesser travel / lesser price for most riders.

At 150mm, is there any contact points on your bike other than pedals and bars? Your seat must be so low, that it is at knee level or under right?

When I go fast clipped in, I want to know where my bike is, by keeping one leg touching the saddle when dropped, eliminates accidental unclipping when going over roughstuff when I throw my bike around or whipping. I ride normal MTB shoes atm and not flats or sneakers with cleats - so that may be an issue.

haha Myles, 175mm - I know it's available, but sounds crazy long! Go-go gadget seatpost.

On a jumpbike or parkbike that you have to pedal to your riding spots, I can imagine that's super useful.

True - at the same cost, buying new or secondhand, that makes sense yes TP. If there is a substantial price difference, then I would argue for the lesser travel / lesser price for most riders.

At 150mm, is there any contact points on your bike other than pedals and bars? Your seat must be so low, that it is at knee level or under right?

When I go fast clipped in, I want to know where my bike is, by keeping one leg touching the saddle when dropped, eliminates accidental unclipping when going over roughstuff when I throw my bike around or whipping. I ride normal MTB shoes atm and not flats or sneakers with cleats - so that may be an issue.

haha Myles, 175mm - I know it's available, but sounds crazy long! Go-go gadget seatpost.

On a jumpbike or parkbike that you have to pedal to your riding spots, I can imagine that's super useful.

That's just it, Fran, can you imagine having the clearance of a DH bike on an AM sled?

And yeah, just above knee level. Actually, no. From the bruises on my inner thigh, saddle at full drop is about halfway up my thigh when I'm in the attack position ????

Edited by Myles Mayhew

That's just it, Fran, can you imagine having the clearance of a DH bike on an AM sled?

And yeah, just above knee level. Actually, no. From the bruises on my inner thigh, saddle at full drop is about halfway up my thigh when I'm in the attack position

'attack' position  :eek:  - dude why do I always feel like I'm in the damn 'defend' position when it gets gnarly  :whistling:

I must say, the fashionable 150mm drop for new posts seem awesome, but is it really needed?

I rode a Fox Doss with 40mm and 100mm drop options, and found that for most Enduro type riding, I would actually only drop the 40mm, since I can still pedal sitting down on pedally sections, but it gives plenty of room on descents.

On my new rig I have a new Giant Post with 100mm infinite travel adjust, and sure I use all 100mm most of the time, but that seems plenty - more than enough, have not once felt that I need more. I will burn a hole in my shorts with my rear tyre before my seat is a problem.

So 150mm - is it just super #enduro or really needed? What trails do you ride that necessitates half a foot of seat droppage?

I use the whole 150mm on my Hightower regularly in the Karkloof and could use even more sometimes ..... but the rear wheel has buzzed my ass a few times when I hang too far back instead of keeping my weight more centered.

I also changed from Phenom to a Power saddle recently. The Power saddle is better for pedalling but wider at the back end and much less comfortable against the legs when the seat is dropped.....which is why I would drop it even more if I could.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

OK, so what I take from that is riding style depending - loads of riders prefer the extra 50mm, maybe even more.  Maybe my style is just a bit 'different' or as my skill levels grow, maybe I'll need it in the future. Fair enough.

• 9 months later...

Is there any saddle movement with this dropper? I am currently using the Giant dropper and there is a lot of side to side play which can be annoying. Would love to have a dropper that keeps the saddle still!!

Is there any saddle movement with this dropper? I am currently using the Giant dropper and there is a lot of side to side play which can be annoying. Would love to have a dropper that keeps the saddle still!!

no, not like the giant post no

I have a bit of saddle movement but not noticeable when actually riding

• 2 years later...

​Everyone still happy with these Lyne posts in terms of reliability and wear? Been through a couple of Giant posts and have started viewing them as consumable items.

​Everyone still happy with these Lyne posts in terms of reliability and wear? Been through a couple of Giant posts and have started viewing them as consumable items.

Happy! A sample of one but I've been riding mine since March 2017. Still going strong even after many many hours of riding including a health dose of mud each winter.

Recently, I've been hoping it'd give up so I can justify getting one of the new longer travel versions but it's not obliging.

Very happy, highly recommended

Had mine for just over a year now and love it. Only minor issue was the cable has come loose on two occasions on the trigger but is easily reattached.