All very well, but I would like to find out how those standing for election plan to change matters for the better!

I understand that one must examine the past in order to understand how you got to the present, but mapping a sensible path for the future is the critical thing. The long term health of the PPA is what I see as priority number 1. If someone can give me a good clear idea of what they will do, practical stuff, then I'll vote for them. 

Just voting for someone as a protest vote against the past, will not secure the future (Donald Trump, Brexit).

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least you guys have a working AGM... whether you get what you vote for is a another matter.

Good luck for tonight.

Outsider looking in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonight is the AGM.

For any members going I think the question should be put to the 4 members of the EXCO who are no longer willing to standing - why they have chosen no longer to stand?

I received a email from one of these EXCO members earlier this month stating stating "The current PPA budget shows all trust funds will be deleted within the next 3 years on PPA overheads. Membership down again, Cycle Tour income down and office overheads up, not a good picture looking forward.” Pleas ask if this is true / valid view?

Another question I would like to have asked to the member of the EXCO who have been on the committee for a number of years is  - were Events like the Giro del Capo (which cost PPA money - which was the re allocated to trust find) drop in order to pay PPA overheads for just 3 years?

If you want to ask these questions, become a member

PPA Annual Financial Statements, unaudited, have been issued. On the PPA website.

Not looking good and rosy. With some glaring errors and even restatements in the comparatives.

Income down.

attachicon.gifPS0844.jpg

Overhead up.

attachicon.gifPS0842.jpg

Support of cycling down.

attachicon.gifPS0843.jpg

It would appear from the AFS that membership numbers have halved. But when I compares the comparatives to 2015 Audited AFS the income from CTCTT and membership subscriptions have been swapped. Sloppy attention to detail.  But membership subscriptions are down on 2015 anyway if I put the numbers in the right line.

Income is down by 5K short of R4 million.  Admittedly the income form the CTCTT is out of the control of the PPA ExCo. Or is it with PPA nominating 6 of the 12 CTCTT Trustees? And the main man at the cycle tour is a PPA ExCo member. But membership is totally in the control of the PPA.

Overhead is up by R1,5 million. A whopping 40.89% increase. Salaries up R1,2 million. That is a HUGE 52.36% increase for an organisation that earned less than a year ago, has less support of road racing than 5 years ago and has less members that a year ago.

Put differently, salaries take up 96.9% of membership subscriptions (or 93.7% if I read the wrong line). This is a frightening number and hardly reflects an association that is being well managed by the CEO or controlled by ExCo.

The fact that 4 members of ExCo, 3 of them long standing members, have not accepted re-nominations this year speaks volumes about who is in control and how the association is being run.

What is going to change to keep the PPA relevant to cycling?

running through those figures, would be interesting to see against 2014 too - membership must be a huge worry, because it might just halve again.

There's accusations here that the club is run by a MTB cabal - but there's very little spent there. if anything the big loser is safe cycling which has gone from R3.7m to R1.5m

Salaries should be queried. What is the CEOs pay packet - on these figures alone he should be in for a roasting tonight.

I'm not currently a member but have been for many years in the past - i don't think this means i can't take a view on what's happening.

running through those figures, would be interesting to see against 2014 too - membership must be a huge worry, because it might just halve again.

There's accusations here that the club is run by a MTB cabal - but there's very little spent there. if anything the big loser is safe cycling which has gone from R3.7m to R1.5m

Salaries should be queried. What is the CEOs pay packet - on these figures alone he should be in for a roasting tonight.

I'm not currently a member but have been for many years in the past - i don't think this means i can't take a view on what's happening.

I am more interested in the R17 million of unit trusts they have...

The cost for staff training has increased considerably ..... are there by any chance more staff members vs the previous regime? If so could this contribute to the large salary increase? 

If you want to ask these questions, become a member

I feel the same way "hairy" felt as per his post on the bottom of previous page. Except in my case its about the lack of road events. Why on principle would I rejoin  PPA?

I feel the same way "hairy" felt as per his post on the bottom of previous page. Except in my case its about the lack of road events. Why on principle would I rejoin  PPA?

If you really want the PPA to succeed for the sake of cycling, and to make it better, you should re-join and be involved again and contribute positively.

If you no longer care, or you don't want them to succeed in the long term, perhaps so that you can say "told you so", you should stay away. 

If you decide to stay away, then it is up to you to decide whether you move on (and perhaps contribute elsewhere in cycling?) or continue to snipe from the PPA sidelines. 

That is as simple as it is. The ball is in your court!

If you really want the PPA to succeed for the sake of cycling, and to make it better, you should re-join and be involved again and contribute positively.

If you no longer care, or you don't want them to succeed in the long term, perhaps so that you can say "told you so", you should stay away. 

If you decide to stay away, then it is up to you to decide whether you move on (and perhaps contribute elsewhere in cycling?) or continue to snipe from the PPA sidelines. 

This is a nice sentiment, but the reality is that many if not most of the members joined the PPA because they benefitted from being members. Generally the members did not join PPA to offer their membership fee as a charity. 

I am a recreational cyclist, that enjoys cycling and would rather do a PPA funride than do a solo ride on my own. There are comparatively few events these days for road cyclists. In the past if you had done 4 to 5 funrides with the PPA it would have paid for your membership. These days, you need to do at least 8 rides, and you would be extremely hard pressed to find 8 rides to join on the PPA road calendar. There is no longer a direct benefit experienced by many cyclists who have been members of the PPA for years.

Right or wrong, most of the members did not join PPA to make a positive contribution to the PPA. They joined because they enjoyed the benefits of being part of the PPA, unless the PPA can address this, members will continue to leave the PPA.

I agree, as an individual contributing on this thread what you say there is the truth. But looking at it in purely an offering perspective, I think what what you have highlighted is a question many contemplating the value of membership are asking.  

Ed: I see it has been said above.

I agree, as an individual contributing on this thread what you say there is the truth. But looking at it in purely an offering perspective, I think what what you have highlighted is a question many contemplating the value of membership are asking.  

Ed: I see it has been said above.

Also need to remember, Most of us joined just to get our results on PPA events (was witheld if not a member) . That requirement dropped this year (or was it last year) so everyone competing gets their results now.. only benefit now is you get seeding group if you PPA member and a tiny discount

Edit: spelling

Also need to remember, Most of us joined just to get our results on PPA events (was witheld if not a member) . That requirement dropped this year (or was it last year) so everyone competing gets their results now.. only benefit is you get seeding group if you PPA member

Edit: spelling

Maybe it's a stretch to say "most" but for you this is a valid point. It's like most memberships that offer trial or free access, you get the full value when you pay. Sure, if the results are supplied free of charge, then yes there will be a reason not to join but one is surely still paying to enter and I would think the entry fee as a non-member is going to have different, more expensive rate. Yes?

Edit: trouble is that without the events, membership will take an even greater dip, certainly if it is the "drawcard" for membership. I cannot claim to know the whole story, except based on what I've read here.  

Maybe it's a stretch to say "most" but for you this is a valid point. It's like most memberships that offer trial or free access, you get the full value when you pay. Sure, if the results are supplied free of charge, then yes there will be a reason not to join but one is surely still paying to enter and I would think the entry fee as a non-member is going to have different, more expensive rate. Yes?

Ok, Granted,  I don't know that many cyclists, but all of them joined to just get their results at that point.

Entry as non member is R 30 average more expensive (guestamite), if was R 100 , might be different story and good reason to join.  Money talks as the saying goes.

I just joined this year for Argus entry , and half of my friends did for same reason. (won't be doing that next year though after all the BS,  so expect even bigger drop in memberships next year.

I just joined this year for Argus entry , and half of my friends did for same reason. (won't be doing that next year though after all the BS,  so expect even bigger drop in memberships next year.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here (I did not have to this years as I am a member of club 21) - I suspect next year PPA membership will even fewer.

So where did PPA go wrong and can it be changed? Yes it can be changed but in my opinion (opinion is not fact) not with the current  chairman been on the EXCO "steering the ship." If my memory serves me correctly he was the chairman when the appointment was made for the general manager. I declined to remain on the EXCO the following year as was apposed to this appointment.  He definitely was the the chairman when the CEO was recently appointed. Neither of these appointments seem to be bring improvements at PPA, but seem to definitely bringing financial strain too PPA .

While he has been chairman road event have steady declined and more rapidly in recent years with the cutting of the league. His 2 year term has not come to an end so no point in still been a member - maybe for the next AGM I will renew my membership. PPA certainly cannot claim to own the calendar for road cycling in the spring / summer months  and this was what gave PPA much strength - having road events each weekend, sometimes 2 events per weekend. It was not about the bank account and the people it employed - its was about servicing the road cycling community by have many road events!

Archived