I wouldnt swallow that pill at all.

Is their sole drive a financial one? What about cycling? Isnt that what it is all about?

Its that whole kum-bai-ja thing about promoting and furthering cycling in western cape. 

When summer rolls round, if the had an event every Saturday and Sunday there would be a lot less tragic accidents. So they could even punt it as cycling safety.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's your answer. Financially its better for them not to get involved in road events. 

I would swallow that pill if their dosh did not come from road events...

I'm not so sure they are intentionally not arranging / supporting road events. Perhaps someone on the current committee can advise, but I know that organizers have had great difficulty over the past few years to get permission from the traffic / city / provincial authorities to stage road races.

Last I heard the never ending road works along Muizenberg / Fish Hoek stretch is what put paid to most of the South Peninsula rides because the "safety police" felt Ou Kaapse Weg was now too congested to cope with a bike race as well. That is 3 very good races gone from the calendar, just like that.

Chappies is a no-go except on Argus day. Constantia Neck also a no go from a safety standpoint. Several other issues added to the difficulty, like no out and back along the same route and no crossing over like a figure of 8 route is allowed by the traffic police. There are only so much racing the Durbanville / Stellenbosch / Paarl residents will put up with, so those cannot be increased further. The West coast road is tricky but good for one race, the N7 another no go.

Where else can we go? Further out of town and the numbers dwindle as soon as the drive there gets over 1 hour. Sadly,  I see the resurrection of the South Peninsula rides as our best hope of filling the road calendar up! It causes the least amount of traffic disruption and it is so beautiful that it will always draw the numbers. Let's hope they finish the road through Kalk Bay ASAP.

What is the solution to the events calendar? What do we need PPA to do, and which candidates should we appoint at the AGM (who'll further the roadie agenda)?

I'm not so sure they are intentionally not arranging / supporting road events. Perhaps someone on the current committee can advise, but I know that organizers have had great difficulty over the past few years to get permission from the traffic / city / provincial authorities to stage road races.

Last I heard the never ending road works along Muizenberg / Fish Hoek stretch is what put paid to most of the South Peninsula rides because the "safety police" felt Ou Kaapse Weg was now too congested to cope with a bike race as well. That is 3 very good races gone from the calendar, just like that.

Chappies is a no-go except on Argus day. Constantia Neck also a no go from a safety standpoint. Several other issues added to the difficulty, like no out and back along the same route and no crossing over like a figure of 8 route is allowed by the traffic police. There are only so much racing the Durbanville / Stellenbosch / Paarl residents will put up with, so those cannot be increased further. The West coast road is tricky but good for one race, the N7 another no go.

Where else can we go? Further out of town and the numbers dwindle as soon as the drive there gets over 1 hour. Sadly,  I see the resurrection of the South Peninsula rides as our best hope of filling the road calendar up! It causes the least amount of traffic disruption and it is so beautiful that it will always draw the numbers. Let's hope they finish the road through Kalk Bay ASAP.

LOGIC HAS NO PLACE HERE!!!

The WPCA has been hosting a 22 event winter league for the past three months dealing with traffic, etc etc etc, they could do something similar. 

Between them and WPCA they could help each other out, yes, WPCA is for racing etc, but surely the mass participation cat 3/4 would assist in economies of scale?

One of my favourite races was the Paarden Eiland Crit.

What is the solution to the events calendar? What do we need PPA to do, and which candidates should we appoint at the AGM (who'll further the roadie agenda)?

finishing the roadworks and getting traffic police on their side. Difficult, given the restricted roads access as DJR highlighted above. 

From having loads of races this side (southern burbs) in the year, there are now none apart from the Argus. 

Not PPA's fault.

Why do road events need to be so long?, just make it multilap or crit style.. Less police, less roads affected lot cheaper.  I'm happy to go out do 50km sprint and come home.. much better than doing nothing.

finishing the roadworks and getting traffic police on their side. Difficult, given the restricted roads access as DJR highlighted above. 

From having loads of races this side (southern burbs) in the year, there are now none apart from the Argus. 

Not PPA's fault.

What about Somerset west? What about smaller Crit style events? West Coast? City Centre? Crit in Constania? Polkadraai? Red Hill loops?

These are not new ideas, these have been done recently. 

We dont need a 150km long races every weekend, just something with safer roads and get more people riding. 

I'm not so sure they are intentionally not arranging / supporting road events. Perhaps someone on the current committee can advise, but I know that organizers have had great difficulty over the past few years to get permission from the traffic / city / provincial authorities to stage road races.

Last I heard the never ending road works along Muizenberg / Fish Hoek stretch is what put paid to most of the South Peninsula rides because the "safety police" felt Ou Kaapse Weg was now too congested to cope with a bike race as well. That is 3 very good races gone from the calendar, just like that.

Chappies is a no-go except on Argus day. Constantia Neck also a no go from a safety standpoint. Several other issues added to the difficulty, like no out and back along the same route and no crossing over like a figure of 8 route is allowed by the traffic police. There are only so much racing the Durbanville / Stellenbosch / Paarl residents will put up with, so those cannot be increased further. The West coast road is tricky but good for one race, the N7 another no go.

Where else can we go? Further out of town and the numbers dwindle as soon as the drive there gets over 1 hour. Sadly, I see the resurrection of the South Peninsula rides as our best hope of filling the road calendar up! It causes the least amount of traffic disruption and it is so beautiful that it will always draw the numbers. Let's hope they finish the road through Kalk Bay ASAP.

This makes complete sense. Please edit your post!

What about Somerset west? What about smaller Crit style events? West Coast? City Centre? Crit in Constania? Polkadraai? Red Hill loops?

These are not new ideas, these have been done recently. 

We dont need a 150km long races every weekend, just something with safer roads and get more people riding. 

Agreed, yeah. As for the reason besides the ones already given - I dunno. Maybe it's the traffic police not wanting to grant partial road closure. Maybe it's something else entirely. I'd love to see more local (to me) races, but yeah... 

Even local MTB race series through Parks land. Maybe when Tokai comes back up and we get the peninsula route. That would be WICKED. 

Also - a green belt shuffle event. That would be great. 

But then again - MTB, not road. 

And I thought the Gauteng road community were the only one's with a problem. Poor communication from the administrators (yes) and increasing event costs (yes) a few of the problems, but we don't have a shortage of events, even though the MTB scene here out numbers the road events.

Seriously though, there appears to be a problem wherever one looks and sadly it is left to the few that volunteer, or want to be in a position of power.

Many of the masses aren't interested in how it's managed.

The Elite are relegated to racing the fun ride events, and don't get support from CSA, while event organizers are lambasted for charging too much - which IS too much, as they all do there own thing often wasting money duplicating costs on equipment.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The WPCA has been hosting a 22 event winter league for the past three months dealing with traffic, etc etc etc, they could do something similar.

Between them and WPCA they could help each other out, yes, WPCA is for racing etc, but surely the mass participation cat 3/4 would assist in economies of scale?

One of my favourite races was the Paarden Eiland Crit.

How many participants were there?

Thumb suck 150 in winter, the scratch race swells to 100 alone in summer.

Just wondering if 600 with slower peeps would even be possible? Seems like a different target market? Or am I wrong.

There's your answer. Financially its better for them not to get involved in road events. 

I would def like to see more road events.... 

Archived