Riding at Suikerbosrand?

Matuka

All the talk of Suikerbos made me think now...seems like an awful lot of Hubbers ride there on their own (I, for one always head out alone cause my riding buddies are too scared to join :whistling: ). It is such an amazing place and such a lekker ride to do with a group.

How's about we arrange a few BHG (Bike Hub Gauteng) rides and a quick skottelbraai afterwards and sommer do something that has never been done: get Hubbers together to kuier.  

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the talk of Suikerbos made me think now...seems like an awful lot of Hubbers ride there on their own (I, for one always head out alone cause my riding buddies are too scared to join :whistling: ). It is such an amazing place and such a lekker ride to do with a group.

How's about we arrange a few BHG (Bike Hub Gauteng) rides and a quick skottelbraai afterwards and sommer do something that has never been done: get Hubbers together to kuier.  

Sounds good!

It also depends on whether you head home straight after the Bone Breaker Climb ( a 50km ride) or do the additional 10km after the right turn back to the parking - totaling 60km. If you do the 60km ride 3 hours will be more than enough imo. 

This is not additional, its how the route runs - cutting it short at bone breaker is not actually allowed...AND, why would you cut it short, the last 10km is the best part

Edited by sirmoun10goat

This is not additional, its how the route runs - cutting it short at bone breaker is not actually allowed...AND, why would you cut it short, the last 10km is the best part

It is all a matter of perspective. And opinion. And fitness :whistling: ...

It is all a matter of perspective. And opinion. And fitness :whistling: ...

Actually not.

The hill from the parking lot is a one way up. Going down it is not a legal option. A collision will certainly lay the blame on the descending rider.

Ps. Full disclosure: I have once used it as a short cut down when I had no matches left.

Actually not.

The hill from the parking lot is a one way up. Going down it is not a legal option. A collision will certainly lay the blame on the descending rider.

Ps. Full disclosure: I have once used it as a short cut down when I had no matches left.

Hehehe no I know I'm just being dramatic. I see the short-cut more as an "emergency escape route"  but its always damn tempting to take that sho't right and end the pain after bone breaker.

And if taken, not at speed and with the required situational awareness obviously.

Hehehe no I know I'm just being dramatic. I see the short-cut more as an "emergency escape route"  but its always damn tempting to take that sho't right and end the pain after bone breaker.

And if taken, not at speed and with the required situational awareness obviously.

ok I'm going to have to go digging for a map of SBR as I'm totally confused as to where this is.

I had an idea in my mind but all this talk of short cut etc. is making me question what I was thinking.

The lat 10km is mostly downhill, 2 climbs and you are done, fist one you can make with the momentum of the downhill, just watch out for the Baboons. 

I almost klapped a BIG baboon on that exact downhill, building up momentum for that gradual climb a few weeks ago. Ek weet nie wie groter geskrik het nie...

ok I'm going to have to go digging for a map of SBR as I'm totally confused as to where this is.

I had an idea in my mind but all this talk of short cut etc. is making me question what I was thinking.

Nah man it is easy:

1. start at the parking

2. turn left after the "cattle guard"

3. after the moer-of-a-climb-on-cold-legs, turn left at the T-junction (the road up the mountain to the T is the one-way we are referring to, and the "cheat shorter route" when you come back after to loop).  

4. take another left at the next T...

5. keep straight...all the way for about 55km to the T-junction with the main access road into SBR (not the route up the mountain you started off with, unless you have an emergency  ;) )  - take a right at the T and go  right back to the parking area.

Edited by Karooryder

Sounds good!

I would be keen to join up, I ride alone there most weekends as its on my doorstep and i nice 30min warm up ride the karee kloof entrance.

Cant say i have ever felt unsafe being alone though.

I would be keen to join up, I ride alone there most weekends as its on my doorstep and i nice 30min warm up ride the karee kloof entrance.

Cant say i have ever felt unsafe being alone though.

I rode their on my own, until I had a major crash, while I was with mates, it took a friend 40 minutes to get back with his car, if this had to happen with nobody close to you, it could take hours for help to arrive, either ride with mates or stay close to others.

We did this yesterday. MAN it was hot and windy.

If this was a test for 947 performance I'm stuffed.

But I did put a few things to the test on the day.

1) my rice cakes, whilst bland when eating them off the bike they went down a treat on the bike, will still tweak the recipe a little but I'm happy. Might still carry a few gels on race days, just for some extra flavour and kick.

2) bike setup. First decently long ride since the proper bike fit and all the new components fitted. Its really comfy, no need to make any adjustments right now.

There are a few things that worry me though, 

1) I'm not confident descending on the bike, whilst the brakes work well I dont trust the tyres to not skid. I guess years of riding a bike that could not lock the brakes means I need to unlearn things.

Also dont trust the cornering, but I think it stems from not relaxing on the descent into the corner and then my body is to rigid to allow the bike to just flow through. Something I'll need to work on.

2) Right hand shifter did something weird at one stage, I was in my lowest gear, then wanted to moved to a higher gear and it was like the mechanism in the shifter was not engaging. Tapped is back and forth a good few times and then it started working. Not sure if it was a stuck cable or shifter might need a bit of lube, will need to investigate this weekend.

We did this yesterday. MAN it was hot and windy.

If this was a test for 947 performance I'm stuffed.

But I did put a few things to the test on the day.

1) my rice cakes, whilst bland when eating them off the bike they went down a treat on the bike, will still tweak the recipe a little but I'm happy. Might still carry a few gels on race days, just for some extra flavour and kick.

2) bike setup. First decently long ride since the proper bike fit and all the new components fitted. Its really comfy, no need to make any adjustments right now.

There are a few things that worry me though, 

1) I'm not confident descending on the bike, whilst the brakes work well I dont trust the tyres to not skid. I guess years of riding a bike that could not lock the brakes means I need to unlearn things.

Also dont trust the cornering, but I think it stems from not relaxing on the descent into the corner and then my body is to rigid to allow the bike to just flow through. Something I'll need to work on.

2) Right hand shifter did something weird at one stage, I was in my lowest gear, then wanted to moved to a higher gear and it was like the mechanism in the shifter was not engaging. Tapped is back and forth a good few times and then it started working. Not sure if it was a stuck cable or shifter might need a bit of lube, will need to investigate this weekend.

The climbing at 947 does not compare to the level of difficulty at SBR.  947 has largely short power climbs. If you managed to climb up all three big SBR climbs without walking, 947 should be a breeze.

Descending at SBR is always an eyeopener. Try to do the small loops only, and focus on descending apex to apex- there is plenty room for error on the small loop. Once you are comfortable you can try the ‘supertube’ at it leaves almost no room for error. I also lower my tyre pressure when going to SBR, for more grip.

I go to SBR a couple times a month but I always check the wind forecast for the east rand; any wind forecast approaching 15KPH is a no-no for me, as it is much worse at SBR.

The climbing at 947 does not compare to the level of difficulty at SBR.  947 has largely short power climbs. If you managed to climb up all three big SBR climbs without walking, 947 should be a breeze.

I know that, but given the common understanding that adding an hour to SBR time will more or less give you 947 time it does not bode well for my goals.

Descending at SBR is always an eyeopener. Try to do the small loops only, and focus on descending apex to apex- there is plenty room for error on the small loop. Once you are comfortable you can try the ‘supertube’ at it leaves almost no room for error. I also lower my tyre pressure when going to SBR, for more grip.

I go to SBR a couple times a month but I always check the wind forecast for the east rand; any wind forecast approaching 15KPH is a no-no for me, as it is much worse at SBR.

the thing is its not just at SBR, 2 weeks ago I did Linksfield drive, Silvias pass etc. and also did not feel in control. I know I probably just need more time on the bike to get more confident. I DID spend more than 10 years getting to intimately know the old bike.

Also rode there yesterday, guess from 7 till about 9:30 ... Was pretty warm but didn't find the wind too bad, I do ride there quite often though!

I saw a gentleman that had fallen on one of those fast downs, some road rash but otherwise seemed ok was standing next to his bike.