Riding at Suikerbosrand?

Matuka

Best place to train, Suickerbos improved my cycling better than any riding I used to do in JHB. If you can ride two laps there any hill you face out on the road will be easy.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine... If we could turn Suikerbosrand into a multi-purpose outdoor activity venue that included mountain bike trails, enduro lines and dh lines with a pump track in the parking lot next to the farm museum.

The venue is perfect, 35 from Edenvale, accessible, under used for other purposes, great tar for road cycling and uphill transfers and so many options for trails to head back to the parking area from on top of the mountains.

This would have very little impact on the greater reserve biosphere in terms of space needed but a massive impact on usage and economic viability if managed and marketed properly.

Imagine... If we could turn Suikerbosrand into a multi-purpose outdoor activity venue that included mountain bike trails, enduro lines and dh lines with a pump track in the parking lot next to the farm museum.

The venue is perfect, 35 from Edenvale, accessible, under used for other purposes, great tar for road cycling and uphill transfers and so many options for trails to head back to the parking area from on top of the mountains.

This would have very little impact on the greater reserve biosphere in terms of space needed but a massive impact on usage and economic viability if managed and marketed properly.

I thought exactly the same thing the other day. I think this would need some private management. It should also be possible to open a restaurant which would definitely help with making some more revenue to justify it all. The parking lot is packed with cyclists on weekends... everyone would pop in for a drink and a bite after a long ride, not to mention the hikers and other day visitors. 

If anyone here has the time to take lead on an initiative like this, I would gladly offer up some of my time to assist where possible  :thumbup:

No need to imagine, since that's what it used to be. I had several different camps in the SBR reserve area and adjacent kareekloof when I was a toddler.

sorry to hijack. never been to suikerbosrand but was wondering if runners are allowed? thinking of doing two long training runs for comrades up run 

It's open to all!

Good luck, it's hard work, especially running there as it's not flat...

sorry to hijack. never been to suikerbosrand but was wondering if runners are allowed? thinking of doing two long training runs for comrades up run 

If I am not mistaken, there is a race there every now and again.

This sounds like the place to go for K2C training?

It is, but K2C is more like a training ride for SBR. A big and a small lap will give you about the K2C distance but will be much tougher,

It is, but K2C is more like a training ride for SBR. A big and a small lap will give you about the K2C distance but will be much tougher,

What Eddy says, but also consider running the shorter loop in repeats.

I'd advise you have emergency numbers ready (assuming there is signal?!) because puff adders and warm tar!

There is a troop or two of active baboons too, not to discourage, just a warning to have a glance to your sides before pulling out a lekker stukkie droewors or chocolate :P

Or is it just monkeys that attack people for scavengable food?

Running is prohibited - I have the rules from the gate on my desk now.

I'm not sure why though because hiking is allowed.

post-50555-0-64186600-1554317874_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nakoota

That’s because it’s predominantly a one-way, and runners run into oncoming traffic.

*Comic sans font off*

Thanks Nakoota. Will try the Cradle then

Interesting - I learnt something new today.

When I was there last, we came across a large group of runners training for Comrades.