I would follow as close as possible to the guide they produced, with the exception of the white bread. yuk!

Yes. White bread. I would struggle with that as well.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The most important aspect of fuelling your body is that your brain uses a huge amount compared to the abundance of muscles used to power your body. Google it. Absolutely fascinating!

"Is the Brain Fueled by Fat, Protein, or Carbs?

The human brain consumes up to 20% of the energy used by the entire human body which is more than any other single organ. The brain represents only 2% of body weight yet it receives 15% of the cardiac output and 20% of the total body oxygen consumption."

So to someone who didn't understand half of the article, which energy drink would be recommended to use on the bike?

Any of the usual sports drinks should be fine; they are generally all mixed according to these guidelines.

Go according to your taste, but also then look at how much you would need to consume to get the required carbs in.

Very nice article. Some changes to be made for me too....damn, I love my white bread with peanut butter though!

Yes. White bread. I would struggle with that as well.

Less fiber than brown

Less gastric emptying

????

Less fiber than brown

Less gastric emptying

????

Less fibre

Faster (better) gastric emptying (absorbtion)

This sorts a question I had about breakfast.

Also I'm under fuelling during races. Only one gel per hours.

That's less than half required. Need to take at least two per hour then.

Very nice article. Some changes to be made for me too....damn, I love my white bread with peanut butter though!

Add unsalted butter and it is even better,

This sorts a question I had about breakfast.

Also I'm under fuelling during races. Only one gel per hours.

That's less than half required. Need to take at least two per hour then.

so 10-12 gels for an ultra mtb? then you gonna learn what fast gastric emptying really is...

The most important aspect of fuelling your body is that your brain uses a huge amount compared to the abundance of muscles used to power your body. Google it. Absolutely fascinating! "Is the Brain Fueled by Fat, Protein, or Carbs? The human brain consumes up to 20% of the energy used by the entire human body which is more than any other single organ. The brain represents only 2% of body weight yet it receives 15% of the cardiac output and 20% of the total body oxygen consumption."

Mine only uses like 5% of the energy. Honestly it can't even be bothered to finish things that it

so 10-12 gels for an ultra mtb? then you gonna learn what fast gastric emptying really is...

I remember reading an interview with Sauser after the Epic. He was talking about popping a gel every 20min. I thought it must have been an error so I looked into it. It is what those guys do.

Also watch the roadies. In a 4 hour stage they actually have a feed zone where they rake on a bag of stuff. They also never stop the back and forward to the cars fetching bottles and gels despite the enormous effort to get back to a peleton that can be moving at close to 50km/h.

I think I have my concentrations sorted but this has made me think I need to make a bigger effort to take on more of everything. Except water. No time to pee in a race.

The brain thing and it's energy requirements is also a thing. Glad that was mentioned. Riding in a racing group for 100km is for me quite intense. Lots of concentration. Tight groups, constant fighting for a wheel and space, staying with surges. It's exhausting mentally. Well for me it is.

I remember reading an interview with Sauser after the Epic. He was talking about popping a gel every 20min. I thought it must have been an error so I looked into it. It is what those guys do.

Also watch the roadies. In a 4 hour stage they actually have a feed zone where they rake on a bag of stuff. They also never stop the back and forward to the cars fetching bottles and gels despite the enormous effort to get back to a peleton that can be moving at close to 50km/h.

I think I have my concentrations sorted but this has made me think I need to make a bigger effort to take on more of everything. Except water. No time to pee in a race.

The brain thing and it's energy requirements is also a thing. Glad that was mentioned. Riding in a racing group for 100km is for me quite intense. Lots of concentration. Tight groups, constant fighting for a wheel and space, staying with surges. It's exhausting mentally. Well for me it is.

I get that a large volume of fuel is required, my only thing is that If I ate 10 gels in a day, I would be clearing provinces with the smell and dreaming of a solid dump.

Personally the first part of the races I eat solid foods, and only the last hour or two do I resort to gels.

I get that a large volume of fuel is required, my only thing is that If I ate 10 gels in a day, I would be clearing provinces with the smell and dreaming of a solid dump.

Personally the first part of the races I eat solid foods, and only the last hour or two do I resort to gels

Gels offer the quickest form of absorption of the carbs needed. Solid food requires your body to supply the stomach and organs with energy to break down that food, thereby defeating the purpose. Look at changing the brand of gels you use. There are some great ones which go down very easily and don't mess with you.

Edited by Bikejunkie