[Event] The Bestmed Satellite Classic

Events Bot

My very first time as well - with no seeding my start time is 7:50 for the 80km.

Does it mean I still have to finish < 13:00?

As I total newbie I thought the start time is @ 6:00, which allowed 7h :)

https://www.asgevents.co.za/satelliteclassic/therace.html

Official starting time:

22 October 2016 at 06:00

Slowest guys (typically unseeded) start at the back. Otherwise the faster guys would have to overtake them, causing issues.

5 hours to cover 80km of which most is relatively flat, should be ample. It's 16km/h average.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How's this? Take 2 identical riders, same shape, body mass, power output, efficient cadence etc. Put them on identical single bikes, and presumably they have the same W/kg and the same VAM?

Now put them on a tandem with exactly double the bike mass of the single bikes - don't know if this is possible? - and ignoring aerodynamic drag differences due to their inline position, essentially pace lining, then presumably their power output is cumulative (and ignoring drive train efficiency differences) so they put twice the power on the road, so their W/kg is 2W/2kg = W/kg ie the same power to weight at they have separately. Hence the same VAM?

Presumably once you have differences between rider in mass and power, you get a mass weighted power:weight ratio, which leads to lower VAMs. Eg rider 1 weighs 100kg and generates 200W (2W/kg), and rider 2 is 80 kg and generates 240 W (3 W/kg), then the pairing can ideally generate 440W with a combined mass of 180kg (2.44W/kg).  A lower W/kg so a lower VAM. Throw in the effect of the tandem weight increase, above or below double a single bike mass eg a touring vs a racing tandem, and power:weight goes further south?

You look and sound like an engineer.

Go ride a tandem.  You will understand.

Slowest guys (typically unseeded) start at the back. Otherwise the faster guys would have to overtake them, causing issues.

5 hours to cover 80km of which most is relatively flat, should be ample. It's 16km/h average.

Thanks Eon, make sense  :) 

Go ride a tandem.  You will understand.

Is my webcam on??  :eek:

Just because I use the internet every day, doesn't mean I understand how it works?

Anyway, wrong thread, so my apols....

Go ride a tandem. You will understand.

Nee man!!

That's like saying go buy a Silverback with a vertically mounted shock to understand why it's ***.

There must be a simple answer.

I'll google it.....

Another question, how many riders typically on this event?

(I did went to look for previous year's results, but got only dead links, e.g. https://www.asgevents.co.za/pages/results/index.php?rid=0&rp=1 )

You can search on the racetec site. Last year 793 finishers for the 80km.

http://results.racetec.co.za/results_by_event.aspx?RID=7704&EN=Sat%2017%2F10%2F2015%20Bestmed%20Satellite%20Road%20Classic%20%2880km%29

Nee man!!

That's like saying go buy a Silverback with a vertically mounted shock to understand why it's ***.

There must be a simple answer.

I'll google it.....

It's not rocket science....it's more complicated than that!

I'm sure it mainly involves the colour of the tandem, and how expensive it is...... :whistling:

I'm sure it mainly involves the colour of the tandem, and how expensive it is...... :whistling:

Simple answer seems to be two fold:

1: Difference in indivuals capabilities resulting in synchronisation inefficiency.

2: When in groups, people dont seem pull their weight. - Ringelmann Effct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringelmann_effect

My race tandem is Orange and imported from Oregan USA and it doesn't climb as well as some of the others. Maybe I should change the colour? :eek:

Hi Malduik

It is just over a 1000m

Less than a normal weekend ride through the Cradle. Basically flat except for two small bumps.