[Event] The Bestmed Satellite Classic

Events Bot

Anyone know when and where registration is?

ON-LINE ENTRIES ARE NOW CLOSED.

LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AT THE FOLLOWING REGISTRATION VENUES:

• • Cyclelab Fourways – 20 October from 09:00 - 17:00
    • • The Bicycle Company Centurion – 21 October 09:00 – 17:00

No registration or late entries on the morning before the start of the events.

FOR ALL EVENT INFO, GO TO WWW.ASGEVENTS.CO.ZA/SATELLITECLASSIC

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ON-LINE ENTRIES ARE NOW CLOSED.

LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AT THE FOLLOWING REGISTRATION VENUES:

• • Cyclelab Fourways – 20 October from 09:00 - 17:00
    • • The Bicycle Company Centurion – 21 October 09:00 – 17:00

No registration or late entries on the morning before the start of the events.

FOR ALL EVENT INFO, GO TO WWW.ASGEVENTS.CO.ZA/SATELLITECLASSIC

How convenient, right in everybody's spare time slot.

Edited by Patchelicious

That was written as if you are riding tandems???

:(

LOL when I wrote it I was thinking "Patch is going to *** me out"

Yes I am doing tandem again. I know I know I said I would go VA here but wanted to do one more tandem race for the year. Carnival and 947 are VA for sure. ;) .

You got a nice early start, So I will say hi as I drive in and you start :D

Received SMS with start number and starting time of 6.35 but does not say which batch I am in.

Does anyone know what the batch start times are

also at 6h35, I assume it's AL.

LOL when I wrote it I was thinking "Patch is going to *** me out"

Yes I am doing tandem again. I know I know I said I would go VA here but wanted to do one more tandem race for the year. Carnival and 947 are VA for sure. ;) .

You got a nice early start, So I will say hi as I drive in and you start :D

SHEESH!! Hekpoort on a tandem - RESPECT

SHEESH!! Hekpoort on a tandem - RESPECT

LOL Thanks but its not that bad. Have climbed tougher on the tandem. It is certainly not an easy climb and for me what makes it harder is the fact that up till then the route is flattish and its big blade high cadence then all of a sudden you small blade low cadence and the legs are not used to it.

LOL Thanks but its not that bad. Have climbed tougher on the tandem. It is certainly not an easy climb and for me what makes it harder is the fact that up till then the route is flattish and its big blade high cadence then all of a sudden you small blade low cadence and the legs are not used to it.

Stop moaning, you only do half the work anyways. And I have it on good authority that you soft pedal up Hekpoort ;)

Off topic, so apologies, but why are tandems (perceived?) to be slower uphill than a single bike? Do they weigh more than twice a single bike? A.n.other? I've never thought about it, until now.....?

Stop moaning, you only do half the work anyways. And I have it on good authority that you soft pedal up Hekpoort ;)

Off topic, so apologies, but why are tandems (perceived?) to be slower uphill than a single bike? Do they weigh more than twice a single bike? A.n.other? I've never thought about it, until now.....?

No.....in general tandem riders are just fat people to lazy to pedal hard. 

Hat.

Door

:ph34r:

*runs*

The easiest way to find out is to jump on one and go up hill and down hill .....

The easiest way to find out is to jump on one and go up hill and down hill .....

Thanks for this. That might confirm the 'perception', but I'm not sure it would explain it? Bike weight? Averaging effect between mis-matched riders? Co-ordination requirement?  

No.....in general tandem riders are just fat people to lazy to pedal hard. 

Hat.

Door

:ph34r:

*runs*

Thanks for this. That might confirm the 'perception', but I'm not sure it would explain it? Bike weight? Averaging effect between mis-matched riders? Co-ordination requirement?  

Who won Panorama overall this year?

If you got 2 riders that climb well on singles then they will climb well on a tandem. But sort of like spinnekop said usually the majority of the tandem field are not skinny racing snakes.

Compare the times of the winning tandems to the winning vets, Often very similar.

Who won Panorama overall this year?

If you got 2 riders that climb well on singles then they will climb well on a tandem. But sort of like spinnekop said usually the majority of the tandem field are not skinny racing snakes.

Compare the times of the winning tandems to the winning vets, Often very similar.

Yes, overall times might be the same. But they are way faster on the downs, think the question still stands... Why are they slower on the ups?

Yes, overall times might be the same. But they are way faster on the downs, think the question still stands... Why are they slower on the ups?

How's this? Take 2 identical riders, same shape, body mass, power output, efficient cadence etc. Put them on identical single bikes, and presumably they have the same W/kg and the same VAM?

Now put them on a tandem with exactly double the bike mass of the single bikes - don't know if this is possible? - and ignoring aerodynamic drag differences due to their inline position, essentially pace lining, then presumably their power output is cumulative (and ignoring drive train efficiency differences) so they put twice the power on the road, so their W/kg is 2W/2kg = W/kg ie the same power to weight at they have separately. Hence the same VAM?

Presumably once you have differences between rider in mass and power, you get a mass weighted power:weight ratio, which leads to lower VAMs. Eg rider 1 weighs 100kg and generates 200W (2W/kg), and rider 2 is 80 kg and generates 240 W (3 W/kg), then the pairing can ideally generate 440W with a combined mass of 180kg (2.44W/kg).  A lower W/kg so a lower VAM. Throw in the effect of the tandem weight increase, above or below double a single bike mass eg a touring vs a racing tandem, and power:weight goes further south?