Electric Mountain Bikes on a MTB race.

Gerlach

if you give them a class to race ebikes, the e-bikes are gonna get very fast very quickly, Isle of man TT Zero went from 96MPH average to 119MPH Average in 5 years. But IMO let them enjoy the trails(one day when am too old to pedal I want one) but no racing...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some people it is merely another way to take the 'easy' way out or dare I say it 'cheat', for those who have honest disabilities and or other physical/medical reasons I think it's a great way to allow them to still enjoy this great sport of 'ours' - perhaps organizers could have some way of 'flagging' them in races with different colored numbers/boards so everyone knows that they are not 'racing' per se?

For some people it is merely another way to take the 'easy' way out or dare I say it 'cheat', for those who have honest disabilities and or other physical/medical reasons I think it's a great way to allow them to still enjoy this great sport of 'ours' - perhaps organizers could have some way of 'flagging' them in races with different colored numbers/boards so everyone knows that they are not 'racing' per se?

It would become a problem on the bigger events.  It is the same situation we have with the seeding.  The moment you have a flat race.  Groups form and guys with lesser ability all of a sudden manage to stay with stronger guys which normally becomes a problem wrt safety.  Imagine a bunch of novices all of a  sudden latching onto the A-group.  For this I feel a line must be drawn.

It would become a problem on the bigger events.  It is the same situation we have with the seeding.  The moment you have a flat race.  Groups form and guys with lesser ability all of a sudden manage to stay with stronger guys which normally becomes a problem wrt safety.  Imagine a bunch of novices all of a  sudden latching onto the A-group.  For this I feel a line must be drawn.

Good point, didn't think that far  :blush:

Or I pay your entry fee, you ride an e-bike and I sit in your slipstream the whole day...

I disagree BigBen - I doubt this thing is driven by disabled athletes who just want to "enjoy this great sport of "ours" - anyway if you don't have to put in the effort to keep up or pass those around you you are just an observer and not "part" of the cyclists around you in any case.

if you mix them with normal bikes they influence the race around them, people slipping them, might crash into others because they ride differently etc

I say hell no, let e bikes have their own seperate races. 

The way the technology is progressing, e-bikes are going to require races of their own very soon. Or at the very least a start of their own.

They'll put the average, or under average guy in A group territory quite easily. But without the talent that A group has normally earned through TITS.

As far as trails go, I feel that e-bikes should give way to human power at all times. And if I had any say in the matter I'd prefer not to share with powered machinery.

There's trouble coming...

How long till E-Roadie Bikes do big events like the CTCT .... how would that roll with the general riding population?

How long till E-Roadie Bikes do big events like the CTCT .... how would that roll with the general riding population?

First rule of CTCT - not sure it has been strictly enforced up until now though (ebikes)

2.  Cape Town Cycle Tour Rules

2.1       Every rider may only walk or ride a human powered vehicle to complete the course.

A simple no from me.  You don't see wheelchair entries at the comrades for a reason.

E-bikes are for wankers. [emoji107]

Just like wanking . . . it is not the real thing.

But you KNOW, it's still lekker [emoji23] [emoji122] [emoji33] [emoji38]

I am all for it if it is assisting a disability. But if an able-bodied comes from behind shouting "track", "passing right" I will not take kind to it. Even worse would be if he/she is in full spez kit on a spez e-bike (does spez even have one?)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

they do..and it's probably the best of the lot

ccs-62657-0-72880500-1436253819.jpg

Archived