Amateur 3D Printing

Schmorglebot

1 hour ago, -cK- said:

Speaking of destructive testing...

Reminds me when I tested this part I printed for our friend @Pure Savage 😅

https://youtu.be/24QQp7EFl3k

Also brings me to the 3rd important thing that will determine strength and that is structural design/reinforcements 😉

So when in doubt add one more mm of material 😆 

Very cool test rig myth busters style 👏

What were your temps and infill settings? That cable stopper might be stronger than the carbon fibre frame it was eventually mounted too 🏆

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Kom said:

So when in doubt add one more mm of material 😆 

Very cool test rig myth busters style 👏

What were your temps and infill settings? That cable stopper might be stronger than the carbon fibre frame it was eventually mounted too 🏆

Nozzle 230

Bed 90

Infill 100%

36 minutes ago, -cK- said:

Nozzle 230

Bed 90

Infill 100%

100% infill - no wander! 

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I have come to visit  this thread seeking help and advice re the broken Clamp pictured below (damaged in a bit of a fall recently).

the clamp screws onto the undercarriage of my Garmin outfront mounts, which i have on all my bikes. The clamp secures the stalk to which my bontrager front light is attached. I can’t remember if it came with the mount or the light, but i have been unable to find it at a few LBS’s I frequent. 

Hence, I was wondering if its 3D printable, if that is a workable solution, or if anyone knows where I can get a replacement without having to spring for a whole new mount, which I don’t need.

any help or advice on this would be much appreciated.

8E73F32D-B593-46C7-8D94-6058680E0700.jpeg

EB2D8E99-AA8A-4DD4-8A53-1D38ED119496.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Harryn said:

Hi all. I have come to visit  this thread seeking help and advice re the broken Clamp pictured below (damaged in a bit of a fall recently).

the clamp screws onto the undercarriage of my Garmin outfront mounts, which i have on all my bikes. The clamp secures the stalk to which my bontrager front light is attached. I can’t remember if it came with the mount or the light, but i have been unable to find it at a few LBS’s I frequent. 

Hence, I was wondering if its 3D printable, if that is a workable solution, or if anyone knows where I can get a replacement without having to spring for a whole new mount, which I don’t need.

Should be able to 3D print something like that, quite easily actually. Largest thing is if a file for that already exists on the likes of Thingiverse/Yeggi/printables, if not, you may need to sit and design the part.

I have successfully printed a few Garmin Varia mounts, as well as the entire out front mount(albeit it was a dual sided mount, hinged from both sides of the stem). Use the likes of PETG or Nylon filament as it's UV resistant and has a much higher glass temperature than the likes of PLA/PLA+.

35 minutes ago, Mtree said:

Should be able to 3D print something like that, quite easily actually. Largest thing is if a file for that already exists on the likes of Thingiverse/Yeggi/printables, if not, you may need to sit and design the part.

I have successfully printed a few Garmin Varia mounts, as well as the entire out front mount(albeit it was a dual sided mount, hinged from both sides of the stem). Use the likes of PETG or Nylon filament as it's UV resistant and has a much higher glass temperature than the likes of PLA/PLA+.

that would be like asking me to design and build the Eifel Tower. 

Edited by Harryn

4 hours ago, Harryn said:

that would be like asking me to design and build the Eifel Tower. 

It can be done, it may just take a while:D. I wouldn't recommend learning CAD/CAM unless you have plenty of time on your hands and are willing to spend some long hours looking at a screen...

Do you have any pictures of what the part looked like before it broke?
I have seen a few files of a potential fix, but not sure if it's what you are looking for.
Some of them seem to clip onto the garmin mount and then have a short arm to the light.

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2023 at 5:14 PM, Harryn said:

Do you have better pics or links to something you find online for a better view of this?

A couple of folk here could help. 

For the travellers, this print has proven very useful for me.

I find it frustrating to remove the handlebar from my gravel bike, only to struggle to remount and find the right angle again each time the bike needs to be rebuilt after travel.

With a simple print like this tube, you can remove your handlebar and stem in one piece, and keep the fork nicely torqued up for travel using this as a spacer.

Keep in mind that your bike does serve as a structural piece for a bike bag like the evoc, so if you remove both the stem and handlebar.

3d steerer.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got hooked by the varia deal Garmin were running over December, but surprised at the poor design on mounts it came with.

before buying 3rd party, i thought id try a home job hack ... might need to tether the varia to my bike somehow in case the PLA breaks. 🤪

i printed with 100% infill and it feels mega solid .... lets see 🤔

IMG_3643.jpeg

IMG_3644.jpeg

IMG_3642.jpeg

IMG_3645.jpeg

IMG_3641.jpeg

IMG_3646.jpeg

Edited by Kom

17 minutes ago, Kom said:

Got hooked by the varia deal Garmin were running over December, but surprised at the poor design on mounts it came with.

before buying 3rd party, i thought id try a home job hack ... might need to tether the varia to my bike somehow in case the PLA breaks. 🤪

IMG_3643.jpeg

IMG_3644.jpeg

IMG_3642.jpeg

IMG_3645.jpeg

IMG_3641.jpeg

IMG_3646.jpeg

Nice Stealth Bomber you have there!

2 minutes ago, betaboy said:

Nice Stealth Bomber you have there!

Ha - thanks!

After years of flying under the radar on the propel, im now having to carry a radar ... 🫠

26 minutes ago, Kom said:

IMG_3643.jpeg

IMG_3644.jpeg

IMG_3642.jpeg

IMG_3645.jpeg

IMG_3641.jpeg

IMG_3646.jpeg

Very nice, just from experience always tether! More important since its 'out of sight' while riding

4 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Very nice, just from experience always tether! More important since its 'out of sight' while riding

the Varia doesnt have a tether "hole", but im going to tether the mount itself which is a garmin oem part. i cant see the varia dislodging there, but the PLA might split near the bolts.

ill do a couple of rides and remove and check for fractures. ive got some PETG on order, been difficult to source black filament for some reason.