Don't try and order SRAM from overseas anymore...

Headshot

Surely one of them could just order from Cape Cycles? If they had the stock... 

Where can one buy some SRAM Code RSC brakes? I can't find any local shop selling them?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy anything from physical shops anymore....

Mens-sku.

Surely one of them could just order from Cape Cycles? If they had the stock... 

I don't buy anything from physical shops anymore....

Mens-sku.

well if a local LBS can get them in, I can buy them and sell them on to you again for a substantial mark-up :P

what if one used a global mailing system like Aramex?

It is a workaround.

You pay vat twice though (foreign and SA), and possibly shipping from the online store to the aramex branch, and then aramex shipping to SA.

oh ok, i wasn't aware. screw Jan Tax, they get enough of my hard earned cash. I only ever bought one thing and had it shipped with Aramex and I didn't even notice the double taxation.

Is this problem unique to us here in Africa? Geolocking of online purchases and so on? If so - dit vrot van korrupsie... (this is Africa afterall)

oh ok, i wasn't aware. screw Jan Tax, they get enough of my hard earned cash. I only ever bought one thing and had it shipped with Aramex and I didn't even notice the double taxation.

Is this problem unique to us here in Africa? Geolocking of online purchases and so on? If so - dit vrot van korrupsie... (this is Africa afterall)

It's not an Africa thing.  UK wont ship to USA.  NZ wont ship to Aus.

SRAM is trying to protect their distribution network. 

What SRAM does not realise is that their S.Africa partner, CCS, are beyond useless and therein lies their limiting factor of getting their product effectively distributed in SA.

Aramex works great for items from China. These are usually cheap, but impossible to get via their and our (useless) Postal systems.

Aramex at least guarantees shipping in a predictable way. China shipping to an aramex may also be free (Hong Kong for example)

IMO the geoblocking is anti competitive behavior negotiated by the middlemen distributors to protect their pricing monopolies. It should not be allowed by the competition commission.

SRAM, Garmin et al however dont really care much, the SA market is minuscule compared to elsewhere. One bicycle store in the states can for example do the same business as the whole of SA.

I see, so its not just a frustration for us.

I bet SRAM couldnt care less about Africa...

It's not an Africa thing.  UK wont ship to USA.  NZ wont ship to Aus.
SRAM is trying to protect their distribution network. 

What SRAM does not realise is that their S.Africa partner, CCS, are beyond useless and therein lies their limiting factor of getting their product effectively distributed in SA.

Aramex works great for items from China. These are usually cheap, but impossible to get via their and our (useless) Postal systems.

Aramex at least guarantees shipping in a predictable way. China shipping to an aramex may also be free (Hong Kong for example)

I once tried to ship something to an Chinese Aramex global shopper address. Aliexpress does not allow for items to be shipped to an address in China. Did not try it on Wish or Alibaba. But Aliexpress and Aramex global shopper is a no go.