Don't try and order SRAM from overseas anymore...

Headshot

It was actually someone from sram, who shall remain anonymous, and it has more to do with all the grey imported bikes that are being stripped and the parts sold by a few well known jhb shops. The only way to combat it is to try and stop all grey imports, including mail order etc. It is a bit *** if you are on a tight budget , as i am. Also i dont know how it will stop the import of complete bikes with oem parts being broken up, unless sram refuses to supply said bike companies if they continue to ship to sa

that sounds like a K@K@ excuse to me

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is we also feed the beast... everyone jumps at the latest tech - not that it will improve your riding in any way...

convince ourselves - "It's sooo much better"

I rode my wife's 26er Anthem with 3x9 - nothing wrong, everything worked, I had enough gears without spinning out or slaving over a 1x.

Think we did this to ourselves... now we have 500g cassettes with 46T grannies... but we are rocking 1x :thumbup:

I can understand the prevention of oem parts being sold aftermarket, whether its online internationally or your LBS stripping down a mongoose, raleigh or momsen.

But the online sale of genuine bona fide branded goods should never be stopped. (be it at full RRP or a discounted price that the shop is happy to sell at)

And you'e an idiot if you take your CRC bought item to your LBS for a warranty issue.

if aramex can get their merde together..... global shopper with a forwarding address outside of their vat zone.... there is always a solution, global business will not be dictated to by a bean counter or wishful thinking. 

ps :https://www.bike-components.de/en/

problem solved, and their prices are better than crc. 

Easy Peasy Japaneasy - Try these okes out:

http://www.postbox-courier.com/

They give you a personalized delivery address in the UK (USA and other countries), and then they courier to SA once they receive the goods.  For any goods that do not ship to SA.  I used them for a USA shipment - worked like a charm.  The small incremental cost of shipping first to your "UK address" and then to SA is minimal.  F$*CK the local agents and protectionism - I hope they all get herpes, and the really sif kind

This is simple. Local guys need to lower prices in accordance with overseas prices. Look at the data must fall, data for all scenario. 

But like SpezSpaz mentioned, there is always a way around it, even if it means you know someone overseas willing to receive and then forward to you.

This is simple. Local guys need to lower prices in accordance with overseas prices. Look at the data must fall, data for all scenario. 

But like SpezSpaz mentioned, there is always a way around it, even if it means you know someone overseas willing to receive and then forward to you.

Except data isn't imported. We don't rely on our local currency to buy data abroad.

Hell yeah prices should be dropped locally. 

But its not going to make things nearly as cheap as a CRC sale because

1. The Rand is basically the Rupee in a cheap suit

and

2. We are simply not trading at a scale large enough to allow us to be that competitive. 

Except data isn't imported. We don't rely on our local currency to buy data abroad.

Hell yeah prices should be dropped locally. 

But its not going to make things nearly as cheap as a CRC sale because

1. The Rand is basically the Rupee in a cheap suit

and

2. We are simply not trading at a scale large enough to allow us to be that competitive. 

and yet we have the issue of its cheaper to buy it overseas, including duties and shipping. I see it way too often. Only 2 places locally that I know of that often have extremely decent sales are stuttafords and Makro red ticket sale. these stores realize when to move on and cut their losses. 

One cannot hold onto old stock and sell it at that years price, yes we get lots of us that still buy at those prices, but we create that market by accepting it.

For the last 2 months prices of goods and cost of shipping has come down. Have you seen a difference in pricing in stores?

Majority of the stores dont bother to change their prices,

whether it is just pure laziness to change pricing on the shelf, however its not an issue to change it when the price increases,

or they just see it as a way to make a bigger profit, just like the ocean basket saga with the angelfish.( I have stopped eating there longtime aga for similar reasons).

Needless to say I try to stick to strict profit margins, if the price drops, I drop the price, and if it goes up, I have to push it up. By dropping prices you give customers some sort of satisfaction and relief on the pocket.

We have a large enough market in this country to have the same kind of sales that CRC has, however, dealers here dont want to let go.

You are in the fuel game, how often do you take a loss when the price goes down?

Retailers here dont want to take that loss hence why we dont have those sales.

"Republic of Bend Over"

Is due to acceptance by majority. Hence why I referred to the data incident and if you like the fees must fall. Enough people complaining and taking a stand in trying to get better prices and forcing the powers at be to work on it.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

these stores realize when to move on and cut their losses. 

I'm sure there's a magic formula whereby its in the interest to flog stock at massively discounted prices 'x' amount of days after it has been on the shelf.

Take for example this example:

SRAM Red ETAP - R43k for a demo groupset

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/212613-believe-it-sram-red-e-tap-demo-groupset-for-sale/

OR

Dura-ace Di2 - R30k for a new groupset (plus postage and VAT/Duties) = approx. R35k

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/shimano-dura-ace-9070-di2-11-speed-groupset/rp-prod128017

Cos that all makes sense....

Take for example this example:

SRAM Red ETAP - R43k for a demo groupset

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/212613-believe-it-sram-red-e-tap-demo-groupset-for-sale/

OR

Dura-ace Di2 - R30k for a new groupset (plus postage and VAT/Duties) = approx. R35k

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/shimano-dura-ace-9070-di2-11-speed-groupset/rp-prod128017

Cos that all makes sense....

or like for like for a better example :)

https://www.merlincycles.com/sram-red-etap-electronic-wireless-complete-groupset-91936.html

GBP1662.5 (R30K), landed with duties R35K

Didn't think I'd find a SRAM one with delivery to SA... but you're right, that's a great example!

I have been looking at a few of my regular UK online shops and at the moment it seems that only CRC are not shipping SRAM... whether that will change in time, we will have to wait and see

I have been looking at a few of my regular UK online shops and at the moment it seems that only CRC are not shipping SRAM... whether that will change in time, we will have to wait and see

I wonder if it would last long. I am sure they have a huge clientele from africa/ south africa. Are they prepared to loose these customers/sales

try looking for an online store in the US. Use MyUS (or similar) for shipping, and you're good to go.

Looks like regular pricing on eTap groupset is $1660. For shifters and mechs, this is pretty pricey, but if you MUST have it...