Don't try and order SRAM from overseas anymore...

Headshot

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are going about this very wrong.  :devil:

Rather than blogging in a thread about our dismay. 

There should be a march to the SA SRAM Agents HQ

Rallying people who have nothing to do with cycling is encouraged 

Pangas and sticks and bricks must be swung.

(Bonus points for a swinging a cactus)

Buit1miCMAEak58.jpg

Lots of dancing and singing  to help team spirit. 

Cars (of people totally uninvolved) , tires and  the building must then be  torched.

After  this wonderful social activity, everyone can go home and chill over a braai or watch some TV. 

Flame suit on.  :nuke:  :devil:

Have a good Friday.  Cycle safe this weekend. 

Edited by IH8MUD

Difficult situation for all. As Myles said, this is not only an SA issue.

Part of the reason that the importers may charge a higher markup is potentially that they are selling less product due to the online direct imports. If we all bought locally, would their volumes increase and therefore their prices reduce? Who knows, but I suspect it's unlikely.

What happens if the local importer goes out of business or decides that they can't afford the agency as the internet is destroying their territorial exclusivity? Who do you go to then for warranty issues?

I also suspect that, as a grey importer into the UK themselves, CRC must have had some pretty compelling pressure from SRAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Difficult situation for all. As Myles said, this is not only an SA issue.

Part of the reason that the importers may charge a higher markup is potentially that they are selling less product due to the online direct imports. If we all bought locally, would their volumes increase and therefore their prices reduce? Who knows, but I suspect it's unlikely.

What happens if the local importer goes out of business or decides that they can't afford the agency as the internet is destroying their territorial exclusivity? Who do you go to then for warranty issues?

I also suspect that, as a grey importer into the UK themselves, CRC must have had some pretty compelling pressure from SRAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The personal import market is massive, SARS at ORT has a separate line just for CRC stuff.

Was told once that CRC sells more shimano in a month than SA does as a whole in a year... so when considering volumes!!

The personal import market is massive, SARS at ORT has a separate line just for CRC stuff.

isn't that the business model then?  Set up a CRC  contact point in SA to deal with ORT, returns, warranty issues etc instead of trying to cling onto an agency, giving cr@p prices and range?  There will always be a workable business angle for someone who is smart, rather than the @ssh0les who just try to shut stuff down.

isn't that the business model then?  Set up a CRC  contact point in SA to deal with ORT, returns, warranty issues etc instead of trying to cling onto an agency, giving cr@p prices and range?  There will always be a workable business angle for someone who is smart, rather than the @ssh0les who just try to shut stuff down.

I'm not certain the problem lies with the SA Distributor, I used to work in the bike industry and rumored markup's by Cape Cycle systems was like 5 or 6% if memory serves. I think the biggest problem as stated previously, is that most of the US owned companies ship there stuff to the US first and then distribute to the rest of the world instead of supplying directly from Asia. Just a case of too many middle men all taking a slice of the pie.

PS: another pet the clothing/textile industry. 1k for a T-Shirt #$^$%^ :cursing:  Textile markups are around the 600% range from what I have heard.

True, currently shopping for a cycle cross bike to commute around Brisbane.

Sadly my top end toys are seriously wrong for the job.

I'm not certain the problem lies with the SA Distributor, I used to work in the bike industry and rumored markup's by Cape Cycle systems was like 5 or 6% if memory serves. I think the biggest problem as stated previously, is that most of the US owned companies ship there stuff to the US first and then distribute to the rest of the world instead of supplying directly from Asia. Just a case of too many middle men all taking a slice of the pie.

PS: another pet the clothing/textile industry. 1k for a T-Shirt #$^$%^ :cursing:  Textile markups are around the 600% range from what I have heard.

I don't know if anyone in the cycling industry in SA (or the rest of the world) gets out of bed for less than 30% mark-up - in most cases probably 50%+. At 5% mark-up they would need to sell around R1m per month to cover a single employee's salary which really isn't realistic.

From my experience in the industry, the shops usually mark-up bikes at 30-35% and accessories from 60% upwards. Not sure what mark-up the dealers are doing though.

Normal clothing retailers put minimum of 400% onto the cost.

I don't know if anyone in the cycling industry in SA (or the rest of the world) gets out of bed for less than 30% mark-up - in most cases probably 50%+. At 5% mark-up they would need to sell around R1m per month to cover a single employee's salary which really isn't realistic.

I agree, but this was more for the top end stuff: Zipps, XX1, Quarq, etc.

A was talking to one of there reps awhile ago and he had seen the the doc's for there latest Camelback order, 4/5 different models and the order was in the region of 20bar at their cost price. So if you take there entire inventory off which i'm sure you know but for the others: SRAM, ROCKSHOX , AVID, TRUVATIV, ZIPP, QUARQ, CAMELBAK, AMERICAN CLASSIC, PARK TOOL, FINISH LINE, VP COMPONENTS, MR CONTROL, BULLITT HYDRATION, EXPOSURE, NOVATEC, ALEX RIMS, JAGWIRE plus a few other odds and ends.

I can easily see there inventory being a few hundred million. 

From my experience in the industry, the shops usually mark-up bikes at 30-35% and accessories from 60% upwards. Not sure what mark-up the dealers are doing though.

Normal clothing retailers put minimum of 400% onto the cost.

I work with single digit margins (not markup) in most cases 

#sadface

There still sites you can get, and if you just want to upgrade the essential parts of etap... here a fair price https://www.merlincycles.com/sram-red-etap-electronic-wireless-groupset-89451.html

Just tried to add to my basket (although I don't have the cash to complete the transaction, but it's nice to pretend), and was told that "the item cannot be shipped to your country (South Africa). Please remove the item from your basket."

So Merlin also no longer an option.

Just tried to add to my basket (although I don't have the cash to complete the transaction, but it's nice to pretend), and was told that "the item cannot be shipped to your country (South Africa). Please remove the item from your basket."

So Merlin also no longer an option.

That strange as have just done the same and am all the way through to giving my credit card details?? Gives me free shipping via UPS to Joburg