This is why motorists get annoyed

IceCreamMan

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is Greenside in JHB and in their defense, there is a huge hump (roots pushing up tar) on the left hand side, which they are going around.

Went past this exact spot today and there are two black bins lying on this hump.

attachicon.gifFahrad1.png

These ones are the ones that you see all over the place.  It is actually compulsionary to cycle on these roads if you have choice between this and normal street traffic.

attachicon.gifFahrad2.png

This one normally is used with a pedestrian walkway.  It means you are allowed to cycle there but pedestrians have the right of way.  It is the cyclists choice if he wants to use the walkway and is allowed to rather ride in the street.,

attachicon.gifFahrrad1.jpg

This is telling motorists to beware of cyclists on the road.  We have this in SA as well but it is actually ignored by most motorists I think.

attachicon.gifFahrrad2.jpg

This is a normal Cycling prohibited sign.  Normally on any road that has more than one lane.  There will normally be a cycle path alternative close by.

All of the signs as listed are within the south african signs manual and available for use. Only the prohibited sign design is slightly different in design, it has an addional line through the bicycle symbol as all other prohibited signs in south africa.

What's truly frightening is that Nigel Lovett will get behind the wheel of his car and in all likelihood be driving behind someone on this forum in the week ahead.

I used to cycle on the road when i started a couple of years back but these days i find I am increasingly inclined to take my chances on the Cobra at hoogekraal rather than on the tar.

Saw two groups of cyclists on the N4 near simon vermooten this morning just outside pretoria. Traveling in the yellow lane the opposite direction of traffic.

WTAF?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw two groups of cyclists on the N4 near simon vermooten this morning just outside pretoria. Traveling in the yellow lane the opposite direction of traffic.

WTAF?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fark...won't catch me on that road on a bicycle!!!

pretty standard fecalbook stuff - one cyclist trashing fellow cyclists without actually caring what the circumstance are ........

its the south African version of cycling solidarity (trash everyone else on a bike so they don't notice what a douche you are and wait for all the other idiots to pile on ) :whistling:

I am not so sure that I am ok with this Cycling Direct dude meeting with Cradle residents on our behalf?

What gets said? What gets agreed too?

I am not so sure that I am ok with this Cycling Direct dude meeting with Cradle residents on our behalf?

What gets said? What gets agreed too?

he said name and shame patch,that makes him  obviously impartial and that's what everyone on bikehub keeps screaming so im sure everyone is fine with his representation :blink:

im not but that's just me :huh: 

Edited by bikebloke

I rode in the cradle this last Saturday and with 94.7 being in a couple of weeks the cradle was overrun with cyclists and large cycle lab groups. We certainly did not all stay in the cycling lane, myself included. I would think this problem is primarily only early on weekends and public holidays and then seriously so for a few months a year. The residents should take a chill pill I reckon. The hold up would be minor in the greater scheme of things. at most the inconvenience is minimal. In the suburbs a different story.

However, the past weekend I saw 2 large groups ride past each other leaving not enough space in the road for a car. Throw a car into the mix and you have a problem, one that is going to result in serious injury and/or death. We need to be careful and considerate of each other and other road users.

Just this morning saw a motorist nearly run down a cyclist at a 4 way stop. Motorist acted like it was all the bikers fault - no apology. Can't say for sure the bike had right of way, but the rider looked like a seasoned commuter so I suspect he did.  

If you want an exercise in patience, go drive Chappies in the early morning on a weekend. Pelotons, 3 or 4 abreast, people having fat convos and completely oblivious to traffic.

The scary thing is the assumption that other road users will get out your way or go around you. It's hard to argue about who was in the right or wrong when you're lying in a hospital bed.

Same with the stop streets in Empire Road, Hout Bay, they're not 4 way stops, I have right of way if I drive down my street and into Empire but the number of cyclists I have to slow down for as they go flying through the stops without hesitation does my head in.

As a cyclist myself, I try my hardest to accommodate for other cyclists on the road when driving but the blind faith that some cyclists have in other road users is scary.

following this post with interest as I was a former cyclist (for 30years +), but now only a motorist. :clap:

And what is very complicated for me to understand  is that you (the cyclist) still sit here and justify why you brake the law, ride like smartasses on the road. (not all of you !!! = but 10% of you).

Now those of you (who cant think ahead) who have a mother, father, brother, sister, wife or kids =  Think about this !!!

Do you know  the effect that it will have on the people you leave behind ?

So, no matter what you say, what argument you have, once that motor car goes over that

thing between your ears , you are tickets, you are gone, forever ....and the family sit with the heart ace and tears.