Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

Last time I got in a lot of trouble for saying obvious things like : "This tread is for people preparing for the Epic only"  :thumbdown:  I'm not gonna do that this time.... Please share your info and knowledge on gear, training, nutrition ect ect!

Also, don't forget your sense of humor  :thumbup:

Good luck with everyone's preparation!! 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I got in a lot of trouble for saying obvious things like : "This tread is for people preparing for the Epic only"  :thumbdown:  I'm not gonna do that this time.... Please share your info and knowledge on gear, training, nutrition ect ect!

Also, don't forget your sense of humor  :thumbup:

Good luck with everyone's preparation!! 

Doing my first epic so all advice is welcomed. Doing W2W next week so that will be the last of the fun rides. Proper epic training will need to kick off afterwards.

Gonna be my 3rd one in a row, which I now realize is a bit silly cause im kind of gatvol of riding my bike... Good advice for 1st timers - train like a man!! If you superFIT and strong, it just makes the experience so much better...

Missing out in 2017. (Hope to make a plan still)

Go climb...loads.

Ultras with partner.

Tankwa if possible.

Enjoy and have fun.

It's superb!

First timer too, and cannot bloody wait!

Riding with my dad who will be 70 in Jan - sounds like it'll be a doddle but he and my oldest brother finished around the top half this year so I need to kick the training up big time!

Are guys into the full swing pf programs yet or too soon?

• 2 weeks later...

Any recommendations for the best/best value options for mechanical support.

(Unfortunately I don't have the requisite skills).

Some events I have done (Transalp) have a level of general maintenance support open to all. Does CE have any PAYG mecganical support or is it all pre-booked packages.

Thanks,

Rich

Any recommendations for the best/best value options for mechanical support.

(Unfortunately I don't have the requisite skills).

Some events I have done (Transalp) have a level of general maintenance support open to all. Does CE have any PAYG mecganical support or is it all pre-booked packages.

Thanks,

Rich

Not sure about all the packages, but I can tell u one thing, get yourself the best guy/shop thats fits your budget, also, make sure you pick a mechanic thats not overbooked with bikes...

Stakes are so high At the Epic cause of the time and financial commitments just to be there... so this part needs to be right

Riding with my dad who will be 70 in Jan - sounds like it'll be a doddle but he and my oldest brother finished around the top half this year so I need to kick the training up big time!

Sounds like your dad is a proper BEAST / MACHINE / SUPER STAR (in fact every good adjective known to cyclists) ... you should be proud!!

Good luck with the old man on Stages 4-7 ..... Yoh that diesel engine kicks in. And he's no slouch on the downhill's either.

Not sure about all the packages, but I can tell u one thing, get yourself the best guy/shop thats fits your budget, also, make sure you pick a mechanic thats not overbooked with bikes...

Stakes are so high At the Epic cause of the time and financial commitments just to be there... so this part needs to be right

I Disagree,

If your bike is services and all ware parts replaced before the start you will be fine. for the rest (broken chain collapsed fork etc.) use the the service at the epic. Done 3 and wasted money on the 1st one doing the service route.

But hey the bike shops need to make enough to carry them through the year, so if you buy in good for them.

I Disagree,

If your bike is services and all ware parts replaced before the start you will be fine. for the rest (broken chain collapsed fork etc.) use the the service at the epic. Done 3 and wasted money on the 1st one doing the service route.

But hey the bike shops need to make enough to carry them through the year, so if you buy in good for them.

Valid point, but im still sticking with my opinion, In life there are only two bills I pay with a smile, the one is for the lady who cleans the house, and the other is for the mechanic on the epic... Ive never had my bike with a shop, alwayz used a private guy... He keeps all our extra bags, nutrition, rides our bikes back to pta when we done ect ect.. .I even had a problem with my pillow on stage 2, after we finished the stage, the mechanic already got me a new one.. 

Sounds like your dad is a proper BEAST / MACHINE / SUPER STAR (in fact every good adjective known to cyclists) ... you should be proud!!

Proud and inspired - starting now and aiming to be there at 70 too

Good luck with the old man on Stages 4-7 ..... Yoh that diesel engine kicks in. And he's no slouch on the downhill's either.

I learnt that at Berg and Bush. Was very cocky on day one, waiting a bit for him. Day two he was back and day 3 he put the hurt into me. And trying to hold onto him down Spionkop was terrifying 

I Disagree,

I agree with Dick.

We did it this year on fresh bikes. The only problem we had was a dented back rim on stage 4. Also note the guys that wash your bike after as part of the epic can cause serious k@k... I know of many guys including myself that had forks seized up (mine was 1 month old) because of waterjets going into the seals. Mine happened on stage 2. Had to come down ou wa pad in Tulbagh with a solid fork. Luckily Rock Shox were at hand to service it. Otherwise no problems.

Best advice I can give is:

Never ever be cocky on a stage race.

Don't take it too seriously. It's just a bike ride. You'll need to go back to your family and friends afterwards. Don't let life go on without you. Stay present.

Epic is probably the only race where you'll need a massage. Book them.

Learn to service your bike and do field repairs. Walking to the nearest tech zone because you don't know how to swap a derailleur hanger and fix gears is lame. Learn to plug a tyre.

Ride thick rubber with decent sidewalls and enough sealant. Punctures are lame and can be avoided.

Be honest with each other. Put your pride away. Epic has enough over inflated egos, don't add yours.

Learn to read your partner's body language

Learn how to adapt to each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Learn how to manage the pace if your partner is taking shots.

Be accountable to each other in training.

Your wallet can't pedal the bike for you. You don't need a Sworks or a lefty. People ride it on hardtails and v brakes. And on singlespeeds.

If you can't handle steep descents, switchbacks or bridges, go for a skills clinic or three. It's not a gravel road race anymore. There will be singletracks, there will be rocks. Remember, it's a bicycle,not a pram. Your legs can't do the talking when you are pushing your bike.

There will be sections where everyone is pushing, accept it. Also remember that this is cramp central. While training, go find a steep climb and push your bike up there with tired legs.

Wear sunscreen and chamois cream. Don't mix then up.

Edited by PhilipV