Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

I was under the impression that there has been a drought for months. What's with high humidity? Over 30%? Strange. Oh well, let's leave it to the experts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are several definitions of drought, but in general there are three types. A meteorological drought is any substantial and prolonged lack of rainfall over a period of time in a given region. A hydrological drought is a deficiency in surface or subsurface water supplies. An agriculture drought exists when there is not enough soil moisture to meet the needs of a crop at a particular time.

There can be many water vapor molecules in the air, which increases the humidity of the air, but if those water molecules in the gas phase do not condense to form clouds that eventually grow to raindrop-sized particles, it will not rain. The humid air near the ground must rise, which will cause clouds to form and possibly precipitate. Without that air rising, there can be a lot of uncomfortable humidity while in a drought condition.

*drops da mic*

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several definitions of drought, but in general there are three types. A meteorological drought is any substantial and prolonged lack of rainfall over a period of time in a given region. A hydrological drought is a deficiency in surface or subsurface water supplies. An agriculture drought exists when there is not enough soil moisture to meet the needs of a crop at a particular time.

There can be many water vapor molecules in the air, which increases the humidity of the air, but if those water molecules in the gas phase do not condense to form clouds that eventually grow to raindrop-sized particles, it will not rain. The humid air near the ground must rise, which will cause clouds to form and possibly precipitate. Without that air rising, there can be a lot of uncomfortable humidity while in a drought condition.

*drops da mic*

So what's the number? How humid is it?

Am I right that if guys missed cutoff yesterday, they can still ride today with blue board?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Shortening Stages doesn't always make it easier, it just makes the guys race faster.

So true and as far as I understand it the cut off time is based on winning time x some factor so still means all mortals will have to trap nogal hard to stay in the running for finishers badge

Am I right that if guys missed cutoff yesterday, they can still ride today with blue board?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Yes, but not if they were pulled off by medical staff?

So did all the finishers make use of the transports from Caledon or did a few decide to just use their own bikes to get to the actual finish line ?

Hijack: The photos are up from Stage 1 in our Epic Photo Comp. Take a look and vote for your favourite here.

Just drove past the field all coming into the revised Caledon finish... and a lot looked dead on their bikes. Full respect, my car was registering 40c and hammering out even the reduced 60km+ in that heat is a very tough day in the saddle.

Looked like transport was in full swing. Epic vehicles everywhere, local taxis looked like they'd been drafted in, camper vans and trailers shifting bikes etc down the highway through the long weekend traffic

Shortening Stages doesn't always make it easier, it just makes the guys race faster.

Racing was on fire with the Elites today.. full gas from the beginning.

We've seen is at road events too, those shorter stages makes for hectic racing.

Yesterday at 4.30 it was still 35 degrees.Was just outside town between 12 & 2 on last bitch of a climb and I was getting cookèd.Much respect to riders.Some US riders i followed came in 8 1/2h then still hundreds of riders on trails

Shock horror..... it's hot in the western cape, don't need to be an expert to know that.

What's next?

Its always hot dry and dusty (and windy) in the WC this time of the year .... however its probably conditions that a lot of the internationals are not familiar with.

If the Elite Men took 5+hours yesterday on Stage 1 to do 100 k's, that's quite slow relative to most mtb marathons here. It would mean I would take 10 hours and I generally finish in the lower 1/3 of the field (but always do finish) so its a bit mean to set the cut-off time at 9:30, if I faced the Epic chop I would protest vividly, especially if I had come from afar. Was it just bad planning that they had such a hard-core stage Stage 1 or is it their intention to flush out the unacclimatised / reduce numbers they have to cater for?

The actual visual content is world class. Think Gerald is horrible - but that's personal preference, and a mute or moot point. Only would also like to see more of the back markers - maybe a 2 hour 'Stories of the Epic' for when everything is done?

Visuals are brilliant..agree 100%

It would be nice to see footage from the other cats though I know there is an ebike following the ladies, but no live feed from there..sure it will happen in the next couple of years that we have a choice of watching different streams.. that would be cool.

Visuals are brilliant..agree 100%

It would be nice to see footage from the other cats though I know there is an ebike following the ladies, but no live feed from there..sure it will happen in the next couple of years that we have a choice of watching different streams.. that would be cool.

My point as well. Some visuals of the other cats would be cool, they too are pros and deserve better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived