The Munga - The Toughest Race On Earth

nathrix

You can get a genuine garmin battery pack https://www.evanscycles.com/en-za/garmin-external-battery-and-charger-kit-EV147213

Compatibility: Compatible with Garmin Alpha 100 and T 5/ T 5 Mini, Approach G6, G7, G8, G10, S3, S5, S6, D2, D2 Bravo, Edge 200, 500, 510, 520, 800, 810, 1000, Edge Explore 1000, Touring, Touring Plus, epix, Fenix 2, 3, 3 HR, 2 Special Edition, 3 Sapphire, fenix Chronos, Forerunner 110, 205, 210, 220, 225, 230, 235, 305, 310XT, 405, 405CX, 410, 610, 620, 630, 735XT, 910XT, 920XT, quatix, tactix 3, Bravo, VIRB X, VIRB XE.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks and well done.

Did you find the course easy to follow on the Garmin? and any thoughts why we had a number of chaps who got to the end within the allotted time but not listed as finishers. I suspect due to navigational problems but if you could have the Garmin on constantly this should not have happened.

If I am not mistaken, a normal USB cable works with a power bank and from Garmin 800 and upwards.

It works with my 800 this way but have heard the 500's go into standby/switch off mode?

I used a garmin 705, as it was the one I had on my bike. It was an iffy affair. Sometimes it did take charge and sometimes not. I once left it till it was almost run out of battery, plugged in the power bank and it worked ok, but did not take any charge, just used the power bank. Did the same on a longish ride and the thing did not want to work for all the tea in china.

River Rat, I got special dispensation to roll my entry over to 2017. If my back keeps on recovering like it is and my health stays in tact, I will be on the start line.

Thanks and well done.

Did you find the course easy to follow on the Garmin? and any thoughts why we had a number of chaps who got to the end within the allotted time but not listed as finishers. I suspect due to navigational problems but if you could have the Garmin on constantly this should not have happened.

With the etrex you need to keep an eye on the screen constantly. I went walkabout once for about 2km when I missed a turn because of admiring the scenery. I think the newer cycling garmins have turn alarms that warns you if you go off route.

I'm not aware of the issue where people over the line did not finish but can only guess that the tracking system picked up that they haven't done the route as required i.e went walkabout and didn't rejoin at the point of departure or possibly took a shortcut. Do you have an example of a rider in this situation?

It does seem like a lot of people with the modern cycling garmins had issues along the way with charging, crashing units etc. All I know is the basic etrex is a bomb proof unit.

Its important to have a backup. I had the route on my phone using the OsmAnd app with basemap loaded onto phone.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

With the etrex you need to keep an eye on the screen constantly. I went walkabout once for about 2km when I missed a turn because of admiring the scenery. I think the newer cycling garmins have turn alarms that warns you if you go off route.

I'm not aware of the issue where people over the line did not finish but can only guess that the tracking system picked up that they haven't done the route as required i.e went walkabout and didn't rejoin at the point of departure or possibly took a shortcut. Do you have an example of a rider in this situation?

It does seem like a lot of people with the modern cycling garmins had issues along the way with charging, crashing units etc. All I know is the basic etrex is a bomb proof unit.

Its important to have a backup. I had the route on my phone using the OsmAnd app with basemap loaded onto phone.

I think Christi Viljoen was one rider whose tracker showed as finished but is not on the list of official finishers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think Christi Viljoen was one rider whose tracker showed as finished but is not on the list of official finishers.

George van Maanen too.

I'll have a look and see if I can figure out why.

I used a garmin 705, as it was the one I had on my bike. It was an iffy affair. Sometimes it did take charge and sometimes not. I once left it till it was almost run out of battery, plugged in the power bank and it worked ok, but did not take any charge, just used the power bank. Did the same on a longish ride and the thing did not want to work for all the tea in china.

River Rat, I got special dispensation to roll my entry over to 2017. If my back keeps on recovering like it is and my health stays in tact, I will be on the start line.

I don't know if this helps but I made up my own USB power cable using the + and - wires only.  (No other connections) and I am able use this in reverse depending on the plug points.  I use other adaptors for all my devices connected to this cable and the Garmin 800 charges and works while in operation and charges as well.  The other units also work at the same time through this system.

Not too sure if I am doing damage to any of the units (phone, Solar, Garmin and lights) but it works ok for me with everything on at the same time.

After all, it is just a power supply cable only and I cannot transfer data etc.

I have no problem charging the Garmin 810 with the RED-E power bank which I've used several times overnight during stage races...

Problem is, the moment you unplug the charging unit the Garmin automatically turns off.

Is there any way around this if you need to charge your Garmin mid ride but don't want it to go off when it's disconnected from charger?

go with a etrax it's simple and you just change out the batteries.I was worried about following the Garmin but it's really simple.

You can get a genuine garmin battery pack https://www.evanscycles.com/en-za/garmin-external-battery-and-charger-kit-EV147213

Compatibility: Compatible with Garmin Alpha 100 and T 5/ T 5 Mini, Approach G6, G7, G8, G10, S3, S5, S6, D2, D2 Bravo, Edge 200, 500, 510, 520, 800, 810, 1000, Edge Explore 1000, Touring, Touring Plus, epix, Fenix 2, 3, 3 HR, 2 Special Edition, 3 Sapphire, fenix Chronos, Forerunner 110, 205, 210, 220, 225, 230, 235, 305, 310XT, 405, 405CX, 410, 610, 620, 630, 735XT, 910XT, 920XT, quatix, tactix 3, Bravo, VIRB X, VIRB XE.

Have forgotten the details, but you just need to change the cable to one that does not have the control connection connected and you would be good to go with any external battery.

Edit: Sepia beat me to it.

George van Maanen too.

It looks like his tracker definitely went walkabout in the Tankwa as well as before Ceres. Again, I'm not entirely sure how the system works. If it was due to a malfunctioning tracker, I'm sure George would have raised an objection ...

It looks like Christi turned back on the jeep track after Fraserburg ... so course not completed as prescribed.

Hey Folks

Firstly, let me say a big thank you to all of you that followed with keen interest! Its thrilling to know our format is exciting.

Just to clear up the 'missing' riders. If a rider withdrew and climbed into a medical vehicle, often he would forget to switch his tracker off so it would still show as tracking down route, even though he had been scratched, as the medical vehicles followed the route. This was especially so on the final day.

Its not a perfect system but i think it does the job really well.

Hey Folks

Firstly, let me say a big thank you to all of you that followed with keen interest! Its thrilling to know our format is exciting.

Just to clear up the 'missing' riders. If a rider withdrew and climbed into a medical vehicle, often he would forget to switch his tracker off so it would still show as tracking down route, even though he had been scratched, as the medical vehicles followed the route. This was especially so on the final day.

Its not a perfect system but i think it does the job really well.

Thanks for clarifying.

Whilst we are talking about the tracking, anything you can do for future with the dead zone through Bainskloof?  Pretty much every rider that went through there the tracker stopped and in some did not update for over an hour by which time they had crossed the finish line.

Archived