The Munga - The Toughest Race On Earth

nathrix

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since finishing the race on Saturday ...

Dude! Thank you for the inspiration on your blog, through your posts, through your blue dot moving across the screen - for making us all dream and believe that an ordinary person can achieve extra-ordinary things.

AND CONGRATS!!!!

A few extra shots of Ouberg Pass for those interested. Only had one chance to shoot there as we returned to Joburg the next day. Conditions were not so great as it was windy, dusty, no clouds and looking straight into the setting sun down the pass attempting to spot the riders (look closely and you will spot them - Heinrich Visser + Jeannie Dreyer).

A view extra shots of Ouberg Pass for those interested. Only had one chance to shoot there as we returned to Joburg the next day. Conditions were not so great as it was windy, dusty, no clouds and looking straight into the setting sun down the pass attempting to spot the riders (look closely and you will spot them - Heinrich Visser + Jeannie Dreyer).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA2aNKpquIE

Nice!

What is the radio range on the drone?

Saw this little paragraph at the bottom. Have noted some points.

Cant help but think, Mike, You should have started earlier :)

Just an ordinary guy who started riding in 2005 at the age of 45. I started with the ambition of completing the local 94.7 Cycle Challenge (94.7km). This is an annual road cycle race in and around Johanesburg. Some where along the way it become a race and not merely a completion excercise. I clocked a 2h54 in my first attempt only 6 months from my first trundle down the road and back. I was hooked and then discovered the magic of MTB. While my efforts on the road were credible, MTBing humbled me. Having said that, over the last 24 months I have competed in 9 multi-day events. I'm a very middle of the field rider, but I enjoy every minute of it.

Nice!

What is the radio range on the drone?

About 3500m distance and 500m straight up +/- 20 minutes battery life depending on wind conditions or how hard you work the motors.

Saw this little paragraph at the bottom. Have noted some points.

Cant help but think, Mike, You should have started earlier :)

Just an ordinary guy who started riding in 2005 at the age of 45. I started with the ambition of completing the local 94.7 Cycle Challenge (94.7km). This is an annual road cycle race in and around Johanesburg. Some where along the way it become a race and not merely a completion excercise. I clocked a 2h54 in my first attempt only 6 months from my first trundle down the road and back. I was hooked and then discovered the magic of MTB. While my efforts on the road were credible, MTBing humbled me. Having said that, over the last 24 months I have competed in 9 multi-day events. I'm a very middle of the field rider, but I enjoy every minute of it.

Perhaps Mr Woolnough underestimates himself. "middle of the field rider"? I think not!  :)

Dude! Thank you for the inspiration on your blog, through your posts, through your blue dot moving across the screen - for making us all dream and believe that an ordinary person can achieve extra-ordinary things.

AND CONGRATS!!!!

What cat-i said  :clap:

A view extra shots of Ouberg Pass for those interested.

Shoe, that brings back memories of climbing the pass at sunset during the Trans Karoo. So beautiful.

ps. I have been thinking of that ride often over the last few days as the 240km was but a drop into the Munga ocean.

He was finished tho....

Double and triple snigger for this and Andrews comment

It's hard to multi quote from da phone...

Ok so you would not suggest I attempt this on my rigid SS , keeping in mind that I got a Brookes saddle on  :ph34r:

Its like Freedom challenge you need to be stupid enough to enter and Stubborn enough to finish. I watched you and the beard drink before the start and visited your campsite the day after. You qualify easily just do as Mike says wide tyres low pressure.

from the awesome thread

this is just inspiring....... so whats your excuse ?

If somebody pays the entry and everything I need then I'm in ;) 

Archived