The Munga - The Toughest Race On Earth

nathrix

Hey Folks

Firstly, let me say a big thank you to all of you that followed with keen interest! Its thrilling to know our format is exciting.

Just to clear up the 'missing' riders. If a rider withdrew and climbed into a medical vehicle, often he would forget to switch his tracker off so it would still show as tracking down route, even though he had been scratched, as the medical vehicles followed the route. This was especially so on the final day.

Its not a perfect system but i think it does the job really well.

Exciting doesn't quite cover it. :lol: There were many of us that got absolutely nothing done for those 5 days as we sat staring at pink and red dots on a map. Not to mention the occasional screaming at said dots.

Its amazing to watch athletes of that calibre compete in that type of format, where both mental and physical strength is essential for a successful strategy. And that goes for all of the riders, whether they finished or not.

And then to have some of those riders sharing their experiences on this forum was amazing. And now the organiser too :D.

I just hope that the event attracts more and more interest so that we might get some more coverage of these amazing riders. Especially through the Bainskloof area. The trackers were lost through that area for ages and caused some consternation for those of us urging on the riders.

Brilliant event and I hope it goes from strength to strength.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for clarifying.

Whilst we are talking about the tracking, anything you can do for future with the dead zone through Bainskloof?  Pretty much every rider that went through there the tracker stopped and in some did not update for over an hour by which time they had crossed the finish line.

Yes, Bainskloof seems to close over the riders affecting their signal. Its easy to say sure, lets put someone on the top of Bainskloof, but its not just for an hour, it would be from Saturday morning till Monday morning! Maybe a good job for a volunteer?!

Exciting doesn't quite cover it. [emoji38] There were many of us that got absolutely nothing done for those 5 days as we sat staring at pink and red dots on a map. Not to mention the occasional screaming at said dots.

Its amazing to watch athletes of that calibre compete in that type of format, where both mental and physical strength is essential for a successful strategy. And that goes for all of the riders, whether they finished or not.

And then to have some of those riders sharing their experiences on this forum was amazing. And now the organiser too :D.

I just hope that the event attracts more and more interest so that we might get some more coverage of these amazing riders. Especially through the Bainskloof area. The trackers were lost through that area for ages and caused some consternation for those of us urging on the riders.

Brilliant event and I hope it goes from strength to strength.

We all kind of bonded with those dots

Yes, Bainskloof seems to close over the riders affecting their signal. Its easy to say sure, lets put someone on the top of Bainskloof, but its not just for an hour, it would be from Saturday morning till Monday morning! Maybe a good job for a volunteer?!

That dead zone was just awful..

We would sit here waiting and waiting and worrying and even the riders sleep monsters were playing tricks on us..

Must have just been terrible for the riders families just waiting and worrying.

It looks like his tracker definitely went walkabout in the Tankwa as well as before Ceres. Again, I'm not entirely sure how the system works. If it was due to a malfunctioning tracker, I'm sure George would have raised an objection ...

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

That's gotta hurt... the finish line dnf  :blush:

You can't take away that journey though  :thumbup:

I was thinking about this on Monday when I saw the 4 names missing from the finishers list and I wondered how I would have felt . I had followed Christi Viljoen's ride quite closely ( simply because at one point he was the last rider out there) and I noticed that he turned around whilst still on the route and backtracked to take another route, obviously confusion reigned supreme and what was worse Dirk Griesel followed suit. The end result they went off course, did a longer ride, finished within the allotted time, but no medal. Eish that's got to be a tough one!

I was thinking about this on Monday when I saw the 4 names missing from the finishers list and I wondered how I would have felt . I had followed Christi Viljoen's ride quite closely ( simply because at one point he was the last rider out there) and I noticed that he turned around whilst still on the route and backtracked to take another route, obviously confusion reigned supreme and what was worse Dirk Griesel followed suit. The end result they went off course, did a longer ride, finished within the allotted time, but no medal. Eish that's got to be a tough one!

Ag no is that what happened to them.. the 2 that went wine tasting[emoji6]

Ag no is that what happened to them.. the 2 that went wine tasting[emoji6]

I think you can say that about all four, DG and CV did the only sensible thing left to do in that situation which is to drown your sorrows :(

Was thinking more on the lines of a temporary mobile base station that would help boost signal and/or give better coverage. Just a thought as was a killer for us watching the dots... both when the leaders came through and the last riders.

Without taking away from the middle of the pack guys...it was helluva frustrating not knowing what was going on for the final 4 or so hours of the leaders coming in on Saturday. we saw the lead changing hand multiple times..not because it was..but because the trackers were updating at different times. I would recommend that at least for the Saturday you get yourself a volunteer to be a twitter jockey and track the progress and whereabouts of the top 5 or 6.

I have no problem charging the Garmin 810 with the RED-E power bank which I've used several times overnight during stage races...

Problem is, the moment you unplug the charging unit the Garmin automatically turns off.

Is there any way around this if you need to charge your Garmin mid ride but don't want it to go off when it's disconnected from charger?

I also use the RED-E power bank with my Garmin 310XT. The display shows the charging bar but the Garmin continues to record the exercise. Fortunately it doesn't switch off when I unplug, so maybe it has to do with the Garmin make/model?

I also use the RED-E power bank with my Garmin 310XT. The display shows the charging bar but the Garmin continues to record the exercise. Fortunately it doesn't switch off when I unplug, so maybe it has to do with the Garmin make/model?

Yeah, thanks...I'm actually a complete idiot.

This morning I tested it again. After you unplug the power bank the Garmin gives you the option to keep recording or turn off. Choose keep recording and there's no problem with continuing the exercise recording.

Sorted. Have you ever used the Garmin specific external battery pack...seems more practical than the power bank for size and mounting? Expensive though!

Yeah, thanks...I'm actually a complete idiot.

This morning I tested it again. After you unplug the power bank the Garmin gives you the option to keep recording or turn off. Choose keep recording and there's no problem with continuing the exercise recording.

Sorted. Have you ever used the Garmin specific external battery pack...seems more practical than the power bank for size and mounting? Expensive though!

No, never tried the battery pack. The red-e fits perfectly into a tri bag on my top tube, I just run the USB cable to the Garmin from there. Works for me.

No, never tried the battery pack. The red-e fits perfectly into a tri bag on my top tube, I just run the USB cable to the Garmin from there. Works for me.

Like that idea too...cheers

Archived