The Munga - The Toughest Race On Earth

nathrix

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know if it's been mentioned earlier in the thread, but what is the total ascent over the distance?

The site claims 6500m.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

One of the ladies Garmin showed 7959m and nearly 16000 calories.

how are you feeling now ?

how is the head space?

with it still being so fresh, what would you do differently ?

Some questions I'd like to ask the veterans

What do you carry with in terms of fresh cycling kit or do you ride with the same kit for 100+ hours?

Do you keep your Garmin (or other ) on while you're riding to track the course, if so how do you keep it charged up during the ride?

Similarly with the lights do you use lights continuously at night and if so how do you keep it charged up?

Do you plan your stops and sleeps or do you just take it as you feel?

What do you carry with in terms of fresh cycling kit or do you ride with the same kit for 100+ hours?

Do you keep your Garmin (or other ) on while you're riding to track the course, if so how do you keep it charged up during the ride?

Similarly with the lights do you use lights continuously at night and if so how do you keep it charged up?

from someone who did a bit of planing into this -

I was going to take a penlight battery operated GPS to use.

The light was going to be an extreme lights core model with a borrowed spare battery. That would give 80+ hrs of light. I was also going to ride with a petzl on the lid.

Initially I was going to get power at the overnight stops, since the GPS could do about 18 hrs without needing a recharge - BUT, it takes a full 4 or so hrs to take a full charge for another 18 hrs. So I just went with battery. I looked into hub dynamo, but those are crap expensive!

In terms of clothes, I was planning on one change of clothes, warm leggings for night and a jacket for the night and of course maybe a thundershower or two ....

- I carried second set of bibs, socks, gloves, long sleeved shirt, wind jacket and lightweight shorts for RVs.

- Used Garmin Etrex using AA batteries. On constantly, 3 sets of batteries got me to the end.

- Extreme Lights Core light has 40 hours run time on dim. It got me through without recharging. I had backup light plus headlamp.

- Yes, I planned stops etc. but it changed quite a bit due to how I felt ...

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

- I carried second set of bibs, socks, gloves, long sleeved shirt, wind jacket and lightweight shorts for RVs.

- Used Garmin Etrex using AA batteries. On constantly, 3 sets of batteries got me to the end.

- Extreme Lights Core light has 40 hours run time on dim. It got me through without recharging. I had backup light plus headlamp.

and how do you feel now ?

and how do you feel now ?

Still knackered ... been sleeping and eating contantly this week ... your entire body takes a hammering. .

from someone who did a bit of planing into this -

I was going to take a penlight battery operated GPS to use.

The light was going to be an extreme lights core model with a borrowed spare battery. That would give 80+ hrs of light. I was also going to ride with a petzl on the lid.

Initially I was going to get power at the overnight stops, since the GPS could do about 18 hrs without needing a recharge - BUT, it takes a full 4 or so hrs to take a full charge for another 18 hrs. So I just went with battery. I looked into hub dynamo, but those are crap expensive!

In terms of clothes, I was planning on one change of clothes, warm leggings for night and a jacket for the night and of course maybe a thundershower or two ....

Looks like the thundershower provision would have been overkill for this year but you never know.

I have read somewhere that you can put the Garmin onto a power pack but you need a special cable.

Are you planning on doing it next year?

Thanks and well done.

Did you find the course easy to follow on the Garmin? and any thoughts why we had a number of chaps who got to the end within the allotted time but not listed as finishers. I suspect due to navigational problems but if you could have the Garmin on constantly this should not have happened.

I have read somewhere that you can put the Garmin onto a power pack but you need a special cable.

If I am not mistaken, a normal USB cable works with a power bank and from Garmin 800 and upwards.

It works with my 800 this way but have heard the 500's go into standby/switch off mode?

I have a Edge 500. Goes to a locked menu when connected to the PC. Have never charged it anywhere else. The charging cable I got with the unit is a normal USB on the one side so should fit most powerbanks.

Archived