The Munga - The Toughest Race On Earth

nathrix

Really enjoyed following the event this year - again Alex has made a step up in a number of areas, I think he needs to be commended for again sticking to the hard way of putting on an event. I am sure he would like to make it 'bigger and better', but it has all sorts of inherent limitations, ie:

• Connectivity and communication - for a large part of that part of the world, the networks just dont exist.
  • The support stations are 'mense', they are hosts by nature, extending hospitality. They cant do big numbers.
  • The weather (heat) can easily wreak havoc, would be interesting to see the ER24 log this year, if its gets popular and unprepared folk (as Alex calls them) arrive, it could be disastrous
  • Being a point-to-point event over a long distance means a well strung out field - logistical challenge

Some observations from my side:

• In endurance races (see also RacetotheRock) - the ladies are real competitors - great to see.
  • For those of you who keep saying these guys are superhuman - you should read Mike Woolnough's blog, he came a close third this year aged 56, he's ridden a couple of other little races this year, he's just an ordinary guy who realised that ordinary can be quite competitive.
  • A dusty, dry field, with a simple track to the line is a fitting finale location.
  • Nearly 50% dnf rate this year - proper tough.
  • The bikehub remains the best place for a forum for an event of this nature - Alex embraced that early on. The gees was real, you don't need a production studio and fancy equipment to convey the reality, it's infectious.
  • 2017 will again see some names, (ex dopers incl), whatever....this is about the bike
  • the development category is real, these guys have got heart, some of those Exxarro bikes are from Epic 2012, hardtails that have been ridden into the ground, respect to those guys

Well done Alex and your team - roll on 2017. The Munga is real.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope to be watching some hubber's dot next year. Pls enter the race under your hubber name[emoji13]

I hope to be watching some hubber's dot next year. Pls enter the race under your hubber name[emoji13]

I think Slowbee will be that hubber. You just have to pry his/her real name out of him/her. :whistling:

I will ask Sir Alex, himself, to change my entry name to include Slowbee. Just for you.

@TheMungaMTB Folks, the 2016 Munga has come to an end. 79 riders rolled over the start line. 39 rolled over the finish!... fb.me/2z93xHbO1

Nathrix

I would just like to thank you for your video's and photo's leading up to, and during the event.  I know your last couple of days also didn't turn out as planned, but I thoroughly enjoyed what you have given us, and hope that we will see more of it next year!

Mother nature can be cruel ! So are we expecting lots of rain next year , with a bit of wind for good measure ? 

dont you have a shimano hub to fix or something?

no talk about rain and wind. heat and wind yes, but rain and wind... nee dankie!

Nathrix

I would just like to thank you for your video's and photo's leading up to, and during the event. I know your last couple of days also didn't turn out as planned, but I thoroughly enjoyed what you have given us, and hope that we will see more of it next year!

I have to agree.. thx the dailies were great.

I can't believe how much I enjoyed my first ever 'dot watching'.

A big thanks to all who contributed to this thread with info, photos, videos, comments, calculations etc. It brought the dots 'alive'.

I will ask Sir Alex, himself, to change my entry name to include Slowbee. Just for you.

He he

[emoji39]

Mother nature can be cruel ! So are we expecting lots of rain next year , with a bit of wind for good measure ? 

Hoping to see your name on that starting list at some point.

Hoping to see your name on that starting list at some point.

Next year !! As soon as I fixed this @!$@# shimano hub !

Nathrix

I would just like to thank you for your video's and photo's leading up to, and during the event. I know your last couple of days also didn't turn out as planned, but I thoroughly enjoyed what you have given us, and hope that we will see more of it next year!

Thanks Pulse, I enjoyed making them and being there to witness the pain, suffering and the carnage that unfolded. The Munga is not your average mtb race, you really need to think twice if you think you can do it because it's not just fitnes you need to have...you need to go see a psychologist to perhaps help you switch off that pain barrier.

Thanks Pulse, I enjoyed making them and being there to witness the pain, suffering and the carnage that unfolded. The Munga is not your average mtb race, you really need to think twice if you think you can do it because it's not just fitnes you need to have...you need to go see a psychologist to perhaps help you switch off that pain barrier.

which one do you use ?

Archived