The Munga - The Toughest Race On Earth

nathrix

How right you are. So much happened in these 95 pages that I clean forgot.

Well remind me next year, I missed that post.. I think..

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and lets not forget every single hero who made a go for it and had to quit for health or injury

Absolutely, its so easy to forget what it actually takes to get to that start line, and even the ones who didnt quite make it to the line for heal reasons.

Well done, all, for who stepped up to the Munga challenge

And special 'wow, amazing x 1000000' for those who completed the challenge

Ma word

also reminded me again how much I love the karoo. Told the wife me doing a road trip next holiday

And the Northern Cape.

I am doing that road trip this holiday :-)

I am meant to be spending two nights in Baviaans and I see there is a beeg fire in the kloof

with the winds always north west howling this time of year,,I vote the race must be done from Wellington to Bloem every 2 years.

Come on Alex.

with the winds always north west howling this time of year,,I vote the race must be done from Wellington to Bloem every 2 years.

Come on Alex.

We discussed this at the race, and although easier, its actually hotter when you ride in 41/43 Deg with no wind, and even worse when you are riding with the wind behind you. There would also be some nasty climbs early on getting out of the Cape.

We discussed this at the race, and although easier, its actually hotter when you ride in 41/43 Deg with no wind, and even worse when you are riding with the wind behind you. There would also be some nasty climbs early on getting out of the Cape.

Either way you look at it, this will never be an easy race.

90", I also want ti thank you for your photos and 'feeds' during the event; it just makes the dot watching so much more real.

We will be watching dot TW.

I could swear Tiger Woods was busy in the Bahamas this last weekend. Slowbee as a swinger? Who would have thought... ???? ???? ????

Nathrix

I would just like to thank you for your video's and photo's leading up to, and during the event. I know your last couple of days also didn't turn out as planned, but I thoroughly enjoyed what you have given us, and hope that we will see more of it next year!

Second that, and also to 90inch

Thanks to all the contributors and guys for the photos and vids

I'm on a tight time frame here.... can someone fill me in on Brandon Stewart, did he finish or ?

Thanks

Since finishing the race on Saturday I've spent hours reading through these 90 odd pages. You guys are a special breed. Your commitment to this forum is no less intense than the guys and gals who entered the race. You are all a bunch of nutters as are the riders who entered the race. We make a good team.

A few words from the field as it were. Choice of bike. There have been suggestions that a cyclocross bike who be the best choice of bike. I don't agree. It may be faster on certain roads but the conditions overall make it too hard. I'm not absolutely certain but I think only one cyclocross bike finished the race and that was at the back.

You need to ride a bike that can keep you in the saddle for the longest time. It needs to be comfortable. I'm not suggesting La-Z-Boy comfort but you certainly don't want a bike that will hammer your hands, backside and body. I finished in 73 hours. 66 hours of that was spent moving. My bike allowed me to do that. I rode a hardtail but had big volume tyres (Scwhalbe Thunder Burt) and ran them soft (1.6 bar). I also ran my front shock very soft. I've had problems with CTS before and came out of this race with my hands in good shape.

So what's the best bike for this race? Short answer, the one you have. Set it up to give you the most comfortable ride possible. Remember, apart from a cyclocross bike which I don't recommend, it's not about the bike.

Archived