Are 26er's still competitive?

Jameslaskey

I believe the n+1 rule apply... time to start planning an elaborate scheme to get another bike. Then the OP can be our test subject to do Strava runs on his 26 vs 29.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems this debate will never end. Ride what you have. It's only as good as the person riding it.

I was so waiting for the "it doesnt matter just enjoy what you have" comment. No 26er vs 29er thread is complete without it...

I think they are. I bought a fatbike with 26inch wheels and I ride away from most mountain bikers that I used to ride away from before. Awesome bike so yes I think 26ers are still relevant. But I think the 27.5 inch bike are a good option too

Yes, but don't tell anyone. One way to rub it in subtly is to add 26" into your Strava name and then thrash hundreds of 29er riders on all your local segments. :-) 

I'm just working my way through all the local KOMs at the moment. Don't need to point out my wheel size, I let the strava do the talking. But just imagine, I hear you say, if you had a new 29er instead of your 2010 26er...well, I don't, I have an old 26er and the more I train the faster it goes.

Also, an old 26er is likely to feel not as fast as a new 29er not because of the different wheel size, but because bike technology has moved on a lot in 6 or 7 years. A brand new 26er (if you can find one) vs a brand new 29er would be a fairer comparison.

Haha, exactly what i'm talking about, at least you didn't join 4 minutes ago. . .  :whistling:

Hehehehe and as I said in about the 2nd or 3rd post of that thread it wouldn't last long and just like its was gone. Pity, was going to be a goodie.

Hehehehe and as I said in about the 2nd or 3rd post of that thread it wouldn't last long and just like its was gone. Pity, was going to be a goodie.

I pressed refresh so I could continue laughing and it was gone :o

I would love to see how Nino would do against all the big wheelers racing a 26er again. My guess is he would still win. 

Nino raced 29ers this year because the focus was Rio. The Olympic course suited 29ers better than 650b, so he rode the 29er the whole year.

If he moves back to 650b, it would say quite a lot.

If he stays on the 29er, it wouldn't say as much because there is obviously the marketing element of them devoloping the Spark 29er and having two olympic champions on it is a clear way to shift some product.. 

I love my 26" ..... I have no need to go 29 !

You have what you have.... train hard and make the best of it !

***its the engine that makes you fast not the bike*** 

Archived