PPA: Please obey the rules of the road

News bot

I recon the PK guy would just slip stream him all the way and not work in the front!

Most famous line of every person who finished the Argus..."I did all the work"

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you and your family don't own cars then? Or do you happily break the law in your car so you can reinforce your own stereotyping?

Nope, you're missing my point.  Mr Karma blames cyclists for the bad driving on our roads around cyclists. I'm simply refuting that. Our motorists are some of the most inept, impatient inconsiderate drivers around. Motorists do exactly the same thing to each other and kill each other regularly. Cyclists just get caught up in this. Riding like an angel isn't going to change anything. An impatient motorist will find fault just because they had to delay an overtake for 10 secs because of a cyclist.  I try and obey the rules whether I'm driving or riding. I'm especially careful around cyclists. 

Edited by Headshot

Nope, you're missing my point.  Mr Karma blames cyclists for the bad driving on our roads around cyclists. I'm simply refuting that. Our motorists are some of the most inept, impatient inconsiderate drivers around. Motorists do exactly the same thing to each other and kill each other regularly. Cyclists just get caught up in this. Riding like an angel isn't going to change anything. An impatient motorist will find fault just because they had to delay an overtake for 10 secs because of a cyclist.  I try and obey the rules whether I'm driving or riding. I'm especially careful around cyclists. 

That's not how I read it... He said we are our own worst enemies and said that he doesn't blame motorists for their bad attitude towards us. He said nothing about their driving - only their attitude.

Riding like an angel? You mean obeying the law?

Edit: I agree with Karma - have a read of any motoring forum and the common theme is that cyclists ride as they please with zero regard for their safety. We then blame all motorists for their *** attitude and poor driving habits. Then they blame us. Then we blame them. Then they blame us.Then we blame them... You see where I'm going with this?

How about we break that cycle? It costs us nothing to stop at red lights and ride responsibly. As long as we keep throwing our hands up and yelling nothing will change it won't.

Edited by Eldron

No no no.. Hold on. 

This thread speaks to cyclists, to obey the rules, which I agree, some don't. 

I wholeheartedly agree with you that motorists are also to blame, but I was making a point that cyclists are not 100% innocent, and contribute to the attitude towards us. 

I just want to say that we were crossing a pedestrian/bike crossing on the way in this morning ... and the ^$#&^%& taxi stopped at the red light, hooted at us and smiled and waved energetically ... for goodness sake, does he not know this is not how he is "meant" to behave whilst behind the wheel of a taxi!!!!!!

I think that the biggest contributor to accidents is "distracted driving" not drugs or alcohol. 

Drugs and alcohol = Worst type of accidents

No no no.. Hold on. 

This thread speaks to cyclists, to obey the rules, which I agree, some don't. 

I wholeheartedly agree with you that motorists are also to blame, but I was making a point that cyclists are not 100% innocent, and contribute to the attitude towards us.

I disagree. The attitude of motorists is that only their space is important. To heck with the busses, school busses, taxis, cyclists or anyone else using the road in a less grande manner than driving a passenger car /SUV /Fortuna /crossover etc.

The presence of a cyclist is incidental because the same behaviour is directed at the little old lady who just pulled out of a side street in front of said motorist and is now driving 19km/hr below the speed limit.

The same cyclist who ran a red light is going to do the same in their car. You won't change their behaviour while on the bike but you may if there is a ton of inconvenience while behind the wheel of their car.

I have discovered that if I obey the traffic laws while driving other drivers start to do the same.

I've seldom come across a motorist being positively influenced by a person on a bicycle

I think that the biggest contributor to accidents is "distracted driving" not drugs or alcohol. 

Drugs and alcohol = Worst type of accidents

so we were again cycling home in the cycle lane, next thing a driver is up on the embankment in the outer lane and then somehow manages to save it coming back into traffic ... given the slow to medium pace of traffic and that the road is straight with a gentle curve where this person went off the road, one can only assume cellphone usage or being badly distracted.

so we were again cycling home in the cycle lane, next thing a driver is up on the embankment in the outer lane and then somehow manages to save it coming back into traffic ... given the slow to medium pace of traffic and that the road is straight with a gentle curve where this person went off the road, one can only assume cellphone usage or being badly distracted.

Probably following Letour

My point is here I told a FELLOW cyclist to aboey the rule and was told that he will give me PK? 

WHY? Because some motorist is driving like a ****** it give him the right to not obey the road rules ==== NO it does not.

I will keep telling my fellow motorist to get of his phone and my fellow cyclist to obey the rules. 

I get the same rubbish from a group of cyclists going from Blairegowrie to Linden, stopping in the pedestrian crossing lanes and yelling at cars, blissfully ignorant of their own unlawful actions.

Surely the cancer in cycling aren't necessarily me and you and everyone else on this forum, but those not active in the community, those who don't care about discussing and improving the current state.

As a side note, I admire your vigilance.

Following the rules is one thing, but my feeling is that the vast majority of road deaths on our SA roads are due to alcohol or drug abuse.

I base this on the fact that I have been cycling the very same route for many years, along a busy road, and the week following a payday or "big event" weekend where people are consuming alcohol, the roads show clear signs of cars smashing into poles, walls, anything else that can't get away and as per a few occasions the poor pedestrians who could not get out the way or even knew there was a car coming for them.

The above said, people need to realise that speeding or reckless driving is just not acceptable, if you cause an "accident" whilst speeding or driving recklessly it is not an accident, but a crime.

Of all the times people drove into my car (4 times) and total accidents ever (2 at least), all of them was caused by sober drivers driving negligently. Your experience may very well vary, but I've not had troubles with drunk drivers and I drive outside of peak hours.

While I'm on my bike, I don't feel threatened by drunk drivers, but the drivers who believe themselves the alma mater, above the law and self righteous.

I get the same rubbish from a group of cyclists going from Blairegowrie to Linden, stopping in the pedestrian crossing lanes and yelling at cars, blissfully ignorant of their own unlawful actions.

Surely the cancer in cycling aren't necessarily me and you and everyone else on this forum, but those not active in the community, those who don't care about discussing and improving the current state.

As a side note, I admire your vigilance.

Of all the times people drove into my car (4 times) and total accidents ever (2 at least), all of them was caused by sober drivers driving negligently. Your experience may very well vary, but I've not had troubles with drunk drivers and I drive outside of peak hours.

While I'm on my bike, I don't feel threatened by drunk drivers, but the drivers who believe themselves the alma mater, above the law and self righteous.

My wife had 3 fender benders in the last 5 years. And every one was a person in morning traffic busy texting.

Myself had someone rear end me.....again I watched it in the rear view mirror as he looked down to text and drove into my T-bar.

Can not comment on Drunk driving as I am not out on the road when those creatures normally take to the roads 

Edited by Quagga

i do a lot a fair share of driving during work hours and witness many indiscre

tions. CTown drivers imho drive like they don't know where their destination

is. cyclist riding like they bulletproof , i have given up on. i save my

verbals for the weekend. jump a red light while i'm waiting and i will shout

at you , catch up to you and tell you , "you giving cyclists a bad name".

has it helped , most likely not. but never had anyone telling me , i'll give you

a PK. most look at me like i'm an alien. so what, i've vented and i feel better

Don’t shout at them, give them a disapproving thumbs down and a shake of the head.

Works a charm.

lol ... that shaking of the head really upsets people ... . probably my most favourite tactic for showing displeasure 

lol ... that shaking of the head really upsets people ... . probably my most favourite tactic for showing displeasure 

What about biting your thumb?