Garmin Varia experience

Prince Albert Cycles

I am considering riding road again after only riding Mtb for a nr of years .

Road has always been my favourite but stopped because I became a " bang gat "

Any views from riders who have been using it ?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have the radar.

i rely on it all the time, its really a great piece of tech when out on less busy roads as it give you a early warning.

i love mine!

it will not however help in heavy traffic.

Thanks for the positive responses .

We are moving to Prince Albert in Dec prompting the decision to ride road again .

Just one fairly quiet but narrow tarred road both sides of town .

From the feedback the Varia seems ideal .

Thanks

My training partners both ride with them.  Awesome.

I "roofry" by connecting my Garmin to their Varia when I ride with.

Works perfectly.....

Just a note that I have picked up, the battery life seems to be an issue so make sure it is fully charged before every ride.

• 1 year later...

I just got one of these radars. Did anyone else struggle to sync it with an edge 520? I am busy googling the issue but if someone has had an experience before it might be quicker than reading plenty reviews trying to find a solution to my problem. Funny enough if I select to pair with a light it pairs and gives an ID but it just gives a ? under info and doesn't help at all as it wont put the radar info on my ride screen. But selecting radar under devices just goois searching for as long as I can watch. 

I had the same issue when I first got mine. You need to do a software upgrade on the Varia and it sorts out the problem.

Brand new unit needs software upgrade <_< . Thanks will try that. So can that only be done via pc with the usb cable? The edge just updates via BT and my phone.

I just got one of these radars. Did anyone else struggle to sync it with an edge 520? I am busy googling the issue but if someone has had an experience before it might be quicker than reading plenty reviews trying to find a solution to my problem. Funny enough if I select to pair with a light it pairs and gives an ID but it just gives a ? under info and doesn't help at all as it wont put the radar info on my ride screen. But selecting radar under devices just goois searching for as long as I can watch. 

Update your software on 520 and varia via garmin connect. Will sort out all issues.

Update your software on 520 and varia via garmin connect. Will sort out all issues.

Yes that needs to be done on a PC

Thanks guys. WIll update all the software.

Been riding with mine for sometime now, Its defiantly help and lets you know something is coming only depend on it. Still look behind you to be sure.

Do you have the head unit as well or just the radar and then the display on your edge? assuming by your previous post it's on your edge.

Battery life?

Am I able to see the battery level for the varia on my edge? seems the only way you can see the level is checking how many lights come on when you switch the varia on.

Do you have the head unit as well or just the radar and then the display on your edge? assuming by your previous post it's on your edge.

Battery life?

Its just linked to my edge 520. Battery life is between 4 to 5 hours depending how busy it is. Busy roads seem to drain it.