Garmin Varia experience

Prince Albert Cycles

Its just linked to my edge 520. Battery life is between 4 to 5 hours depending how busy it is. Busy roads seem to drain it.

Updated software on both units last night. Used it this morning. Works hundreds. I can see my edge battery not lasting long at all now. It beeps for every vehicle and the back light comes on. I have it set so back light only comes on when paused etc and to stay on for 2min, so its virtually on all the time now. Will have to change that.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated software on both units last night. Used it this morning. Works hundreds. I can see my edge battery not lasting long at all now. It beeps for every vehicle and the back light comes on. I have it set so back light only comes on when paused etc and to stay on for 2min, so its virtually on all the time now. Will have to change that.

Also drop the brightness. That should help too

• 10 months later...

Any more feedback on these, I ride a lot of country lanes with minimal traffic. I tend to get lost in thought so sometimes am surprised by a car....

As you saw above, I got one early this year. I love it and works so well. I am happy with the battery life and charge it when it gets to about 2 or 3 lights left I get about a week out of it if I use it for about an hour everyday. I set the brightness of my edge down low and I am still able to see the dots come up on my screen. It beeps as soon as a vehicle gets in range(They say about 140m?) If the vehicle is travelling normal sort of speed its an amber colour and if its approaching faster its red. Then as soon as it's clear it goes green. I would be keen one day to try the dashboard thing out but only if it's to test, It works fine for me using my edge so I don't think I would pay for the dashboard.

anyone having issues whereby it doesn't pick up vehicles if someone is riding behind you?

I recall Garmin saying this would not be an issue.

anyone having issues whereby it doesn't pick up vehicles if someone is riding behind you?

I recall Garmin saying this would not be an issue.

Probably depends on who is behind you, if its Bakkies Botha, probably not.

I love mine.  No issues at all and feel safer with it.  Also use a mirror on trips but this piece of equipment is the bees knees.  Would not ride without it.

It is great to have on lonely roads as it "wakes you up" when a vehicle approaches.

How does one set the light brightness etc?

You guys have sold me. Will pick one up. Just the tail light an hook it up to my 520 or explorer units.

Pricy piece of kit but well worth it in my books. Extra safety at what cost?

You will mot be sorry. (and you can pick one up cheaply in your neck of the woods)

Do it!

Pricy piece of kit but well worth it in my books. Extra safety at what cost?

You will mot be sorry. (and you can pick one up cheaply in your neck of the woods)

Do it!

Hells bells it is expensive in ZA, just looked at the Navworld site. R3199 after discount. Here the

RRP is 169 pounds but currently on black Friday specials for 99.99. As I am a british cycling member I think I will get another 10 off so 90 pounds all in. Around R1700 all in. That's nearly half the price. of ZA.

Safety kit should be sold at cost imho.... should be subsidized by govt or factored into the price of all bikes... with a "free" helmet at sale (as an example)

Edited by IceCreamMan