The Classics

'Dale

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like my 10 year old self, I still love rain rides.  These conditions look like FUN, but only from my couch.

Edit:  Ahhh this section clear, simply stunning parkour.

Edited by justinafrika

15 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Pog just out for a saturday solo ride......

I still don't understand how the teams still fall for it.. they must have thought there's no way he holds it for 80km and that they'd control him ? Can't see how on rolling terrain he can do this to a few world tour teams and getaway with it... Brilliant from him but really stupid from them

Just now, Jbr said:

I still don't understand how the teams still fall for it.. they must have thought there's no way he holds it for 80km and that they'd control him ? Can't see how on rolling terrain he can do this to a few world tour teams and getaway with it... Brilliant from him but really stupid from them

I agree. I always lose it when the chasing group starts looking around as though they expect something to suddenly happen.

Chase!

It's a HUGE effort for somebody planning on winning two GTs in a month in the not so distant future.

Super clever break though. Put a team mate on his wheel to block, made sure Pidcock (who was probably the only guy there who could match that explosion) wasn't there and just went. 

BOOM

14 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I agree. I always lose it when the chasing group starts looking around as though they expect something to suddenly happen.

Chase!

It's a HUGE effort for somebody planning on winning two GTs in a month in the not so distant future.

Super clever break though. Put a team mate on his wheel to block, made sure Pidcock (who was probably the only guy there who could match that explosion) wasn't there and just went. 

BOOM

Are they stupid? Why didn't they just ride faster?

Boring racing with the magnificent breakaway by the Slovenian or spectacular racing with the magnificent breakaway by the Slovenian? Whatever. Pogačar sent a ripple through the peloton and his rivals would have noticed his form.

Why could they not chase him down? They couldn’t .

40-50 in the bunch after 90 kms remaining. UAE grabbed the peloton by the scruff of the neck. It looked hard out there, hey. 

Pic by Jered Gruber:

IMG_5976.jpeg

2 hours ago, peepeekaitjie said:

Are they stupid? Why didn't they just ride faster?

Well they could have but multiple factors at play.

1. 81km to go , no one took him seriously when he told the one of the pre race interviewers where he was going to make his race winning move. 40% of the race left to tackle is a long way to go solo.

2. they were all racing against each other so looking around waiting for another rival to take up the attack. 

3 good team work from UAE nullified everyone else 

1 hour ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Pog had Wellens in the bunch who closed down all the attacks until about 10 km to go .

yeah but there's always those silly attacks going on, if you want to catch a strong guy up ahead, rather work together rather than attack, sit up, attack, sit up, it will always be slower than rolling turns. Blows my mind that everyone threw a possible win away and that they settled for 2nd like this. But apparently the race leading up to that Pogi attack was already hard and a selection was already made when he went, which explains why, if all or at least most of the guys were isolated, I can understand they'd rather race for 2nd than risk bringing their rivals back. I couldn't really watch the race in details, I was on my phone in the middle of something...

There was a moment of hesitation from the group when pog attacked. Probably thought he was mad to attack so far out. Once the gap was more than 30s, no one had the legs to pull him back. Was a war of attrition up to that point.