The Classics

'Dale

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Slovenian superstar stated in his post-race interview that he made some changes to his preparation during the off-season. I wonder what that could entail. In any event, here is a reveal of his stats through Velon.

That'll warm me up.Velon-Pogis-data.jpg?width=713

Doing the Giro and TDF, will require a complete new schedule for Slov Machine. His also doing mini TT training it seems. I wonder if his thinking of Games?🤓🤔 His in his prime, might as well add some gold to the collection.🤭

I have to say, two names shout the loudest on this list.

Tadej, based on his form at Strade. And MvdP.

The two of them will hammer it up the Poggio and my feeling is whichever one crests the top without the other one will take it.

[Or I am completely wrong and Biniam Girmay wins it from a big bunch sprint...]

image.png.1f0ca482c503ac5f9280832e19b2e3d6.png

I'm thinking Pedersen is in with a good shout. I feel if Pog wants to win, he'll need to do it from a long way out—most of the front runners can hang with each other on the final climbs, and whoever wins will do so in sparkling style... Unless it's from 80km out.... 

Why do I always feel like putting money on Bettiol? sooner or later, I'll get that one right...

Will it be a short breakaway on the Poggio (Pidcock, VDP, Moho, Trentin, Pedersen), a small bunch sprint (Pedersen, Kooij, et al) or a long break (just Pog in this category)?

It's VDP's first racing day, and I bet everyone (including him) is wondering what he's bringing. I hope he takes home the trophy...

So, if Pog wants to win this year, surely UAE will have to throw everything at the likes of MvdP on the Cipressa.

I don't think Pog will solo attack from there, but they need to give him a fighting chance by blowing the field apart long before the Poggio.

On 3/12/2024 at 2:04 PM, lechatnoir said:

I'm thinking Pedersen is in with a good shout. I feel if Pog wants to win, he'll need to do it from a long way out—most of the front runners can hang with each other on the final climbs, and whoever wins will do so in sparkling style... Unless it's from 80km out.... 

Why do I always feel like putting money on Bettiol? sooner or later, I'll get that one right...

Will it be a short breakaway on the Poggio (Pidcock, VDP, Moho, Trentin, Pedersen), a small bunch sprint (Pedersen, Kooij, et al) or a long break (just Pog in this category)?

It's VDP's first racing day, and I bet everyone (including him) is wondering what he's bringing. I hope he takes home the trophy...

Bettiol won Milano - Torino on Wed 🤙

33 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Bettiol won Milano - Torino on Wed 🤙

The oldest Classic race. That was a magnificent win. I watched it live. 30 kms out, attacking like a bat out of hell. 

Couldn't even get caught by a 4 man Bora' train chasing back. Very reminiscent of the Bettiol that won Ronde, I think, in 2019. He's been struggling with gut issues and a few other health issues. Seemingly, he has worked out his medical and mental challenges. He looks determined and gritty.

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

So, if Pog wants to win this year, surely UAE will have to throw everything at the likes of MvdP on the Cipressa.

I don't think Pog will solo attack from there, but they need to give him a fighting chance by blowing the field apart long before the Poggio.

It's a long, flat race. This isn't Strade where the terrain was tough as nails. If UAE set a high tempo on the flat from a long way out, it makes a nice train for all the others in the mix to sit on and get a nice tow. That doesn't help Pog at all, as they all get to the same place nice and fresh - the Cipressa and Poggio, and we know they're not steep enough for him to distance anyone... Last year they were braking into the corners going up!

Worst case for Pog is some sprinters that can go up hill decently stick with him - they'll pull his pants down at the finish... This happened in Flanders when MVDP beat him (and a couple of others), until he worked out he can drop them on those nasty climbs. MSR doesn't have hard climbs like that. Using that tactic, Pog will likely win Flanders every time he starts

But, he can still get first place in MSR, but I doubt it'll be because he wins, more a case of the others losing. 

One thing's for sure, there will be a thoroughly deserved winner.

MSR:

The final hour will be dramatic, as always. I have a soft spot for Mads Peterson and want him to podium at least. 
Nibali was the last Italian a few seasons ago who broke away and stayed away. Ganna gonna do it, although he’s more of a turbo diesel than an explosive dragster?

Weather, according to The Inner Ring, a cool 8°C and the start and reaching 17°C by the finish and sunny most of the way. Almost no wind, just a slight 7-8km/h onshore breeze along the coast which means a slight tailwind for the Cipressa and Poggio.

The SA jersey looking beautifully minimalistic - Gibbons is an important servant for Mads as he stated during interviews around SA Champs.

IMG_6212.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

MSR:

The final hour will be dramatic, as always. I have a soft spot for Mads Peterson and want him to podium at least. 
Nibali was the last Italian a few seasons ago who broke away and stayed away. Ganna gonna do it, although he’s more of a turbo diesel than an explosive dragster?

Weather, according to The Inner Ring, a cool 8°C and the start and reaching 17°C by the finish and sunny most of the way. Almost no wind, just a slight 7-8km/h onshore breeze along the coast which means a slight tailwind for the Cipressa and Poggio.

So a beautiful summers day in Europe!