The Classics

'Dale

how well paid is he really? on CX terms?

according to pcs he is with Corendan to 2022. surely he will take offers to a world tour team after Tokyo. I see a football style contract buy out. You could even build a team around him like sagan/bora.

Mathieu Van Der Poel is one of the biggest talent of his generation: in today’s peloton, he is a rare athlete capable of winning major races across all disciplines. He recently announced that he would dedicate himself to cyclocross and mountain-bike racing through the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

“My intention is to go to the Olympic Games. That is the highest goal, and cyclocross is not an Olympic discipline. On the road you can also go to the Games, but it’s harder to be selected for that. I’ve already proven on the mountain bike that I can compete in a World Cup race. Whether it’s the same as the Games is hard to say. But I was not super professionally prepared for the World Cup. We can take another step with the right guidance.”

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/11/mathieu-van-der-poel-is-most-talented-bike-racer-on-planet/

now here is my wish. imagine Nino decides no epic in 2020 but tries some cyclocross early season. that would be a matchup worth tuning in to.

This guy seems to have the right stuff, hope he doesn't sour the good graces by doing a Sam Gaze on Live TV.

Think between himself and Alaphillipe we could see someone match Sagan's Triple Road World Champ achievement.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well according to sporza his 2018 contract was €1m excluding endorsements.

What his current contract is worth, who knows but of course it is all speculation and just rumours.

For the moment his is happy with his situation.

Whatever his contract is worth, his market value is rising sharply every time he get on a bike and races!!

Whatever his contract is worth, his market value is rising sharply every time he get on a bike and races!!

For sure.. but he seems happy with his arrangement and XCO Olympics is a big target for him.

When he moves to road permanently it will be to a big team..

Edited by Gen

For sure.. but he seems happy with his arrangement and XCO Olympics is a big target for him.

When IF he moves to road permanently it will be to a big team..

we don't know that for sure.

and it might not ever be permanent either as he could dabble in many disciplines.

He's mainly been focussed on CX which is an hour long

mtb XCO is 90 mins to an hour.

road racing is not just the same thing. He obviously has the talent to be a top rider in the WT, but it won't come that easily. For one thing he's normally racing out on his own with the chasing pack duking it for 2nd.

whatever happens, it's exciting to have such a star upsetting the apple cart.

we don't know that for sure.

and it might not ever be permanent either as he could dabble in many disciplines.

He's mainly been focussed on CX which is an hour long

mtb XCO is 90 mins to an hour.

road racing is not just the same thing. He obviously has the talent to be a top rider in the WT, but it won't come that easily. For one thing he's normally racing out on his own with the chasing pack duking it for 2nd.

whatever happens, it's exciting to have such a star upsetting the apple cart.

He just won the Dwars 182km over 4 hours with 60km in a break that included WT veterans. He is also the current Dutch road champion.

I think it's safe to say his road racing ability is well past the speculation stage.

He just won the Dwars 182km over 4 hours with 60km in a break that included WT veterans. He is also the current Dutch road champion.

I think it's safe to say his road racing ability is well past the speculation stage.

And Wout finished top 10 at MSR over 290 kms ????

Michael Valgren on the neutralisation of the race yesterday- he certainly calls a spade a spade  :D : 

"We [Dimension Data] were all at the front before it was neutralised. Then bike riders are bike riders, because we're all so ******* stupid. Nobody stops, everyone fights to get to the front, even though it's neutralised. I was so annoyed.

"Suddenly there was the car with Scott Sunderland [the race director], and he had to go to the front, but people just didn't move for him. Then I was just standing there talking to him, and suddenly they started and I was like 'what the ****'.

"I was at the back so when they started again I was actually dropped on the Kluisberg, because they went without me. I had to chase back for like 20km. I was with some guys but still, it's so annoying. People, they just don't get it. That's just bike racing nowadays, I guess."

• Cycling News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZHjTjYBBJA

Belgium's holy race, The Tour of Flanders with Lisa Brennauer. Nice little video to get you amped for the weekend.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/11/mathieu-van-der-poel-is-most-talented-bike-racer-on-planet/

I might have missed it, but it didn't look like this news piece had been posted. Sorry if I missed it. Nice write up on MvdP, his racing pedigree, his rivalry with WvA and his love for friets.

Edited by pe3nguin

Cycling News' top ten to watch on Sunday.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/10-riders-to-watch-at-the-2019-tour-of-flanders/

Some interesting names on this list. Not least that of Bling. He's a really good rider in good form at the moment. Would be surprised if he were to win but it would be a fantastic result for him given how his season has been.

Still hoping for a Belgian to win it with Oli Neasen being my preferred choice.

Still hoping for a Belgian to win it with Oli Neasen being my preferred choice.

I would love for it to come down to WvA against MvdP. I think it is too much of a pipe dream, but that is what I will be holding out for on the weekend.

I would love for it to come down to WvA against MvdP. I think it is too much of a pipe dream, but that is what I will be holding out for on the weekend.

Who knows it could still happen. Sport is funny that way.

The peloton will be very attentive to their every move...which means... fewer eyes on Sagan[emoji4]