Rapha Festive 500 - 2016

Simon Kolin

Also completed it this morning. And 910km for the month - by far the most I've done since I started riding with GPS.

I agree, this has been great motivation - now to keep training hard for the Herald and Argus :)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was really great, enough the bit of 'mental' motivation, kind of like a rubber mallet at the back of the mind. 

Made about 560km give or take, and then the challenge knocked 150 od off leaving me with 410. Even though all the mileage is on Strava  <_<  ... It's on Strava so it happened anyway. And my legs know, and my backside, and my shammy .... 

Made about 560km give or take, and then the challenge knocked 150 od off leaving me with 410. 

Never thought of that excuse  :devil:

Me, I just didn't feel like doing another 2 hour mtb ride the afternoon just to get a virtual noddy badge so I failed my quest for a "Rapha Festive 500 - 2016" by 49 kilometers.

Never thought of that excuse  :devil:

Me, I just didn't feel like doing another 2 hour mtb ride the afternoon just to get a virtual noddy badge so I failed my quest for a "Rapha Festive 500 - 2016" by 49 kilometers.

Soft

Please post a screenshot of your badge so that we can all admire it...

I was 484.10 km short of earning it

I was 484.10 km short of earning it

Tough luck man, but you'll learn from this experience and maybe next time you can do better...

Tough luck man, but you'll learn from this experience and maybe next time you can do better...

For a virtual noddy badge..

Never thought of that excuse :devil:

I dont join these quests if it does not fit in with what I anyway do. The toughest ride I did in a long time was riding a 21km solely for finishing and getting one of these noddy badges. No soul in the ride. :)

I dont join these quests if it does not fit in with what I anyway do. The toughest ride I did in a long time was riding a 21km solely for finishing and getting one of these noddy badges. No soul in the ride. :)

Yep, the morning of the 31st I had a very interesting 100km ride to the little town of Vermaaklikheid (& back). Had a chat with an interesting surfer lady in boots who has a quaint little shop there & on the way back I unexpectedly ran into an old riding buddy who kept me company all the way back to Stilbaai - one of those memorable rides that makes cycling worth it.

So no regrets in not doing another "soul-less" ride just to make up some km's . Next year I'll plan better  ^_^

Well....I think if you do ANY ride, irrespective of it being on strava or not, for the sake of putting in kilos or for a noddy badge or etc etc, then you are doing it wrong.

For me this is a personal goal.  A nice goal to work towards.  Strava just makes it easier to quantifies.

So you can either bitch and moan about the quantification (i.e. shoot it down) or you can make it part of your training regime over the holidays.  See it as a positive rather than a negative. 

Long miles have souls also. 

The amazing things I saw and experienced and did and friendships and fun and suffering and pictures cannot be "rewarded" with a  noddy badge.  But the noddy badge helped quantify my training in a sense and gave me a goal to work towards.

Use it, don't use it.

Congrats to all that made it!

I ran a fever on Christmas eve so that was the end of my attempt. 

Will try again next year I guess! 

Well....I think if you do ANY ride, irrespective of it being on strava or not, for the sake of putting in kilos or for a noddy badge or etc etc, then you are doing it wrong.

For me this is a personal goal.  A nice goal to work towards.  Strava just makes it easier to quantifies.

So you can either bitch and moan about the quantification (i.e. shoot it down) or you can make it part of your training regime over the holidays.  See it as a positive rather than a negative. 

The amazing things I saw and experienced and did and friendships and fun and suffering and pictures cannot be "rewarded" with a  noddy badge.  But the noddy badge helped quantify my training in a sense and gave me a goal to work towards.

Use it, don't use it.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o2/eeeggooo/Hammernail.gif

Use it, don't use it.

So true

I love cycling .... and Strava exactly because of the reasons you mentioned as I am a bit of a statistical junky and Strava makes it easy.

My holiday during December had one main purpose ...to cycle.  And so I did.  :)  I have been in Rawsonville, Ceres, Wellington, Stellenbosch, Somerset West and Rooi Els and my car was parked in the garage. :)

I have seen the most beautiful views and had wonderful experiences and fun. I had hard training rides and social coffee rides .... all with wonderful people and all of the rides added to finishing the challenge.

But riding a 5km loop 4 times just to make up 20 km .... is not fun its hard, hard work.  

Archived