Rapha Festive 500 - 2016

Simon Kolin

Hi

I'm tempted to sign up for the Rapha Festive 500 this month. Has anyone in Jo'burg planned on doing this (again) and are there some safe/easy-ish routs that can be recommended? I'm based near the city, so I'd love to hear from other riders or clubs that I could share the experience with.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have done 4 now, its good fun.

If you stick to road riding(possibly in the cradle) and get 80-100km rides in, you have plenty of time to rest and enjoy it all.

Did it a few years and even got a cloth badge.

Will be doing it this year again.

Hardly any cars on the road during that time in my side of the world.

not safe to do in Durban over this period, roads are going to be very busy with crazy drivers all over.

Will be giving it a go in Cape Town. Roads also busy but I'll be working too, so early morning rides will take care of traffic! 

My biggest challenge will be going away with out my bike over new years so I have 5 days.

I have failed every year at this so holding thumbs 2016 will be my first Rapha Festive 500.

I have done 4 now, its good fun.

If you stick to road riding(possibly in the cradle) and get 80-100km rides in, you have plenty of time to rest and enjoy it all.

I had hoped to avoid driving out to the Cradle, but perhaps this will be the safest option. I'm happy to plod out 70KM a day...assuming I can hit the road by 05:30 at the latest. 

I'm really looking forward to this. I know it's supposed to be winter challenge, but the Highvelt heat and UV can be just as punishing I recon

Did it last year and succeeded. 

Out here in Jhb Souf there are plenty of safe roads, and with many variations you can easily achieve 500km. 

Double loop of Cradle (OK, that's in the West).

Double loop of SBR.

R4V route.

I did none of those but I still achieved 500km. 

I had hoped to avoid driving out to the Cradle, but perhaps this will be the safest option. I'm happy to plod out 70KM a day...assuming I can hit the road by 05:30 at the latest. 

I'm really looking forward to this. I know it's supposed to be winter challenge, but the Highvelt heat and UV can be just as punishing I recon

Winter challenge for our Northern neightbours.

Rides starting at 5am will avoid the sunburn. 

It was a haphazard affair last year, not sure I want to go for it again  :huh:

24th: 88km

25: rest

26: 101

27: run!  :ph34r:

28: rest

29: 156

30: 61, I was a bit tired  :wacko:

31: 101km

Total: 507 km, 1 run and 2 festive days right from sunrise. 

I am planning to do it this year - mostly using a route out to the west rand/randfontein area - super early start to do it in the cool and when family is sleeping mostly.

Signed up again for the Rapha. Did it last year but left 150km for the last day. I'll be planning better this year.

Mostly always fun to do!

Last year did it from 30-40km's south of East London, where the GF's folks stay.

The costal roads are definitely not flat!

First thing I always did in the mornings was check the weather, mainly to see what the wind was doing. That would determine heading towards EL or towards PE. Always tried to head out into the wind and back with it behind me. "usually" worked out... but good ol mother nature doesn't always play ball.

Still remember heading along a pan flat stretch of road, Garmin said 0% incline, pulling 85-88% max HR and battling to go past 21km/h (on a road bike)

From a couple years back, learnt my lesson about watching the weather. When a couple rainy days are thrown, it messes with what you scheduled of say trying to get in a certain amount of km's per day. Suddenly two extra "rest" days and you're left trying to do a few big days to make up missed km's.

Other lesson from last year, i'd just gotten the Garmin 520...

Strava Live Segments are definitely NOT good for this challenge!  :blush:

Instead aim for 1000km over the same period.

Bit more of a challenge.  ;)

Overachiever :eek:  making the rest of us look bad

Archived