Somerset West Fires (now including paarl and stellies/jonkers)

dev  null

Heard my ex has lost her place on Sir Lowry road but was able get my horses out.

Helpless from this end.

You go Slowbee.  It was probably you who assisted.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to mention the bike park there. Damn. My son's one cyclist buddy helped build some of the trails there.

Let us hope the fire does not come over the Helderberg. We need those Helderberg Farm trails to survive.

Yup.. Poverty is poverty... And poverty leads to crime... And crime is about finding opportunity for yourself at the expense of others

As an aside, I think it is time that all those Bluegums disappear. They provide way too much fuel for these fires.

Bluegums is main source of food for bees ..  ;-(

Wind is back. We are in for another rough one tonight.

Slowbee, time for a timeout. With this heat and wind you are going to dehydrate dangerously fast.

heck no, i'll catch up when its over. Those VWS guys and gals are at it 6 -8 hrs at a time, they have it far worse than me. I mean a girl is full gear kicked my ass running up a road with a fire hose.

And besides, its all a mind game. Its hotazhel and the wind is blowing and there is smoke everywhere, mind is tired and needs total focus not to make a judgement error .... perfect body conditioning for Munga

The map has slightly outdated stuff - but gives an idea of whats going on.

Basically, every hill has a fire of some sort.

It is crossing into grabouw. and also over to Jonkers

Most people have realised they need to get their pets out. Its not the fire they need to worry about, it is the smoke.

SWNW is doing a great liason job.

@philip, heathersage did go up on the other side of the river and some other arsonist decided to burn the cricket field at radloff.

I have not taken many pics as I dont want to be a spectator in other peoples troubles. Will rather help them.

But for now, houses are safe.

And for the next few hours we hold our thumbs very very tight. the wind is starting to blow, and blow serious again.

the daughter is ok, Grandparents ready to take over from Nanny, Dad put on his camelpack for water and photochromatic sunglasses to keep the dust and flying embers out the eyes, long sleeve shirt for embers and track pants for same reason and hiking boots to protect ankles if I fall in burning hole. Spade in hand.  I am outta here. Going to help dampen fires at SLP and boskloof. I know people there so I can get in easily.

Thanks Slowbee. We are sorted, my parents live in Somerset West, so we'll probably sleep there tonight anyway.

Wifey (40weeks pregnant) didn't do to we'll with the smoke last night, so I'll book her in with Ouma and Oupa tonight. I didn't really sleep last night, had one eye on the massive orange glow visible From my bedroom the whole time.

We live on the corner of Morgenster and Vergelegen, one of the complexes on the river. There is a very dry plum Orchard on our boundary, if the wind shifts again and the fire moves down then we'll be on standby again, but I realised this morning that my packing last may have been premature. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170104/e90ae2759f5343f03e89bdfe027091e2.jpg

This was the view towards Morgenster a couple of minutes ago.

if it comes round drop me a PM, I'll be there to help.

let the guards know about me though. dont want to get caught up in traffic being refused.

will park further down the road on the park opposite erinvale and vergelegen