Complete Cyclists Bryanston ROBBED!

Patchelicious

Good PI should be able to do just that. I suggested that in the hit and run which killed Andrew Bradford in Boskruin...MUST be possible.

On separate note (asking here as not much response on other thread) Whats happening with Andrews case? any progress?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps the cars were stolen too?

Is it???  cash transit smash & grab style

It was a whole team that hit this shop, obviously well rehearsed and planned in detail,

Looked like a late model double cab 4x4 that they put the bikes into

Would be interesting to know if the insurance pi's have the ability/ contacts to get a list of numbers at the cellphone towers around the shop for that time of the morning and then try to compare those numbers to towers a bit further away to see any correlation and the direction the numbers were moving in.

In theory, it's possible, but it is ultimately looking for a needle in a stack of needles. It's in the middle of Randburg, so there are hundreds and hundreds of cellphones transmitting and receiving via towers in the area.

In theory, it's possible, but it is ultimately looking for a needle in a stack of needles. It's in the middle of Randburg, so there are hundreds and hundreds of cellphones transmitting and receiving via towers in the area.

Not sure that's true. The robbery was at midnight and there are not that many cars on Bram Fisher at that time. I was under the impression that by triangulating signals, phones could be traced to within a meter or two?

On separate note (asking here as not much response on other thread) Whats happening with Andrews case? any progress?

Havent seen any news on that thread for a while...hope that means there is quiet progres going on.

Not sure that's true. The robbery was at midnight and there are not that many cars on Bram Fisher at that time. I was under the impression that by triangulating signals, phones could be traced to within a meter or two?

I think it is more a mathematical equation whereby they filter out phones that locked onto the nearest tower say 30 mins before....and or maybe look for at least say 5 to 7 phones that arrived and departed the tower simultaneously....as an added cross reference one can look for either of those that has been in the vicinity in the day.....I believe that this is very doable...

Would be interesting to know if the insurance pi's have the ability/ contacts to get a list of numbers at the cellphone towers around the shop for that time of the morning and then try to compare those numbers to towers a bit further away to see any correlation and the direction the numbers were moving in.

I know they(Sensio)spelling? can get the cellphone records they are investigating a possible fraud claim at my office. So maybe pi's can do the same?

I know they(Sensio)spelling? can get the cellphone records they are investigating a possible fraud claim at my office. So maybe pi's can do the same?

Not maybe, they should, they must, the hub insist they do that

There used to be an android app called Llama which would change your settings based on your location. Your location was determined using the cellphone towers which your phone was connected to at the time. Basically you'd set the app in "learn area" mode when you're at home, and for the next hour (or however long you tell it to learn for) it would log which towers it connected to and add them to that location profile. Do the same for various locations and you could have various settings profiles based on where you were.

My point here is that this was surprisingly accurate and could differentiate between when I was at my apartment or at the gate of the complex. Or if I walked to another part of the office which hadn't been "learned" it would bump me out of "office" mode. (Similar distance to if I walked from Complete Cyclist to the Land Rover which is next door)

Based on this I can only expect that it is possible to track a phone pretty accurately by determining which cellphones are connected to which towers. Whether or not all of this data is logged or can only be used in real time, I'm not sure. Also not sure what sort of frequency these would be logged at - if it's logged every 10 minutes it might miss the window in which these guys hit the shop.

if #saxonwoldshebeen is anything to go buy, I'm pretty sure it would be possible to determine who was in the vicinity at the time of the hit.

There used to be an android app called Llama which would change your settings based on your location. Your location was determined using the cellphone towers which your phone was connected to at the time. Basically you'd set the app in "learn area" mode when you're at home, and for the next hour (or however long you tell it to learn for) it would log which towers it connected to and add them to that location profile. Do the same for various locations and you could have various settings profiles based on where you were.

My point here is that this was surprisingly accurate and could differentiate between when I was at my apartment or at the gate of the complex. Or if I walked to another part of the office which hadn't been "learned" it would bump me out of "office" mode. (Similar distance to if I walked from Complete Cyclist to the Land Rover which is next door)

Based on this I can only expect that it is possible to track a phone pretty accurately by determining which cellphones are connected to which towers. Whether or not all of this data is logged or can only be used in real time, I'm not sure. Also not sure what sort of frequency these would be logged at - if it's logged every 10 minutes it might miss the window in which these guys hit the shop.

if #saxonwoldshebeen is anything to go buy, I'm pretty sure it would be possible to determine who was in the vicinity at the time of the hit.

It is logged by Vodafone etc. Not shared readily though. Once anonymised, companies like these can do very impressive modeling with large data sets of people movement. Just one example would be how, when and from what direction people access a train station - so the right decision can be made in terms of what side of a road should the station entrance be.

Bottom line it can be done - but you need access to the data, that only the right people would have.

A clever crook either uses a burner or does not take a phone along for the ride....

We all watch too much TV if you think it is possible to find an arbitrary set of numbers that were active in a certain area at a certain time.

Being able to check if a given number was in an area at a certain time or placed calls to a different known number is different.

Now go back to another rerun of CSI. It doesn't happen like that in 3rd world policing.

AND in the greater scheme of things, a shop getting hit like this is nothing out of the ordinary in a normal night's cops vs robbers.

A clever crook either uses a burner or does not take a phone along for the ride....

We all watch too much TV if you think it is possible to find an arbitrary set of numbers that were active in a certain area at a certain time.

Being able to check if a given number was in an area at a certain time or placed calls to a different known number is different.

Now go back to another rerun of CSI. It doesn't happen like that in 3rd world policing.

AND in the greater scheme of things, a shop getting hit like this is nothing out of the ordinary in a normal night's cops vs robbers.

My money is on the guy who almost walked into the door at 1:30/1:32 having his phone!

My money is on the guy who almost walked into the door at 1:30/1:32 having his phone!

He probably whatsapp"d his GF to say he has just finished work and is coming home.

He probably whatsapp"d his GF to say he has just finished work and is coming home.

and is probably reading this thread, cutting up the sim and crushing the phone as we speak

Yip, these guys are not cyclists....they carelessly grabbed the bikes "by the scruff of the neck"...

No respect... It hurts to see a spez being treated like that  :cursing:

When I had my bike ripped from me, I had to grant consent for the insurance assessor / investigator to request a "ping" for my cellphone's whereabouts during the time of the incident (I'd assume to see if I was actually there at the time)

I'd assume that the companies will be able to track which numbers are connected to certain towers at any given time. 

Archived