Complete Cyclists Bryanston ROBBED!

Patchelicious

easy tiger

not all police are equal and we have a few very sharp tools in the shed also who are passionate about policing

I admire your optimism.  Unfortunately, after years of dealing with the SAPS, CPF's & criminal justice system, i definitely do not share it.

Anyway, would love to be proven wrong.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i got a surprise for you if you think cell tracking in sa is still 3rd world

if you get access to the right people much more info is available than you think, its expensive and police have access to it for high priority crimes,,,sadly I doubt this will catch their attention, but as said the right PI has access to people who know people who pull info like that

Thuli knew who was going to and from the Saxonwold Shebeen. wonder who she used?

Followed by desire to crack a case like this.

I guess I can be proven wrong when they apprehend the guys using cell phone tower triangulation matching numbers that came into and left the area in a certain time frame as suggested on these pages.

By I reckon I'll have a sub 3 Argus in the bag before that happens.

Unfortunately this is only a house breaking case and won't get much attention.I'd be surprised if the case is even still open.

SAPS police stations work on an upper and lower crime reporting rate.HB has a very high amount that they allow for but violent crimes (TRIO) crimes don't.They spend more resources on those crimes.

They can use cell phones to track criminals and activity but it costs around R20k per phone.

Thuli knew who was going to and from the Saxonwold Shebeen. wonder who she used?

She produced summonses on known numbers that she was interested in and served them on the phone companies who had no option but to comply.

Hugely different to trying to isolate a few phones in a given area over 4 providers in a given time frame to identify the unsubs.

When I see it done I will believe that SAPS has the capability to do it. Until then I'll just continue to enjoy the fantasy TV crime series this break in has become.

I may be asking a bit late but how many vehicles/what type were used?

Isn't midnight a little early to be smashing through shop windows and not attract attention in that area?

Intersting to see how crimnals go straight threw a window, always wondered why they don't do that more often, much easier than breaking down doors.

She produced summonses on known numbers that she was interested in and served them on the phone companies who had no option but to comply.

Hugely different to trying to isolate a few phones in a given area over 4 providers in a given time frame to identify the unsubs.

When I see it done I will believe that SAPS has the capability to do it. Until then I'll just continue to enjoy the fantasy TV crime series this break in has become.

They are able to track a phone by imei, sim card number, and phone number... all with pretty good accuracy.. 

They are able to track a phone by imei, sim card number, and phone number... all with pretty good accuracy.. 

Yes, I know.  I assume you know you said "track a phone by imei, sim card number, and phone number".   So those HAVE to be KNOWN.

In this case it is suggested that "they" can use data from towers to identify and trace the unsubs. 

In principle, the logs from towers serving the area will contain records of the cell phones in the area. You would need to determine the serving cell for the specific location. But there is a catch, there is an entire hospital right next door so the serving cell is probably has a VERY high occupancy rate. The effort required to sift thought that would be significant.

So that is the crime solved then.

Triangulate using the towers in the area, find the numbers, go to the RICA database and find the name and adress of the owner. The RICA act was after all implemented to combat crime.

Oh wait, are you sugesting that it is only law abiding citizens who are inconvenienced by the hassle and that criminals can get a number without having to supply a utility bill ?

Surely not !

(Sarcasm font off)

Edited by eddy

In principle, the logs from towers serving the area will contain records of the cell phones in the area. You would need to determine the serving cell for the specific location. But there is a catch, there is an entire hospital right next door so the serving cell is probably has a VERY high occupancy rate. The effort required to sift thought that would be significant.

With some scripting skills you can VERY easily take that list and compare it to the lists of the surrounding towers in the area and eliminate the ones that does not show up on the logs of the other towers (eliminating the hospital numbers), then you can start pairing those numbers that are being logged at the different towers together as it is moving away from the crime scene. Simply get all the logs for the specific time of the crime (even logs of the towers when the 1st incident occurred will be even more of a bonus) from all the towers in say a 10km or 20km or 30km radius. You can feed 1000s of logs with millions of numbers into the script and it will crunch some interesting stats for you. Easy peasy...

With some scripting skills you can VERY easily take that list and compare it to the lists of the surrounding towers in the area and eliminate the ones that does not show up on the logs of the other towers (eliminating the hospital numbers), then you can start pairing those numbers that are being logged at the different towers together as it is moving away from the crime scene. Simply get all the logs for the specific time of the crime (even logs of the towers when the 1st incident occurred will be even more of a bonus) from all the towers in say a 10km or 20km or 30km radius. You can feed 1000s of logs with millions of numbers into the script and it will crunch some interesting stats for you. Easy peasy...

'Mkay.

WAIT! WHAT?! The hub's resident Holmes, Poirot, Drew and Hardy Boys haven't cracked the case with their CSI: New York level skills and technology. I'm flabbergasted. I thought a quick call to the SAPS with instructions on how to do their job would've cracked  this case wide open ages ago.

Tisk, tisk.

I've been busy over in the Vegetable gardens at home thread. Not very sleuth-ish, I know, but even super sleuths need to eat

I've been busy over in the Vegetable gardens at home thread. Not very sleuth-ish, I know, but even super sleuths need to eat

Well, now that you are aware of this atrocity, you have a moral obligation to see this case to its end. Everyone and his dog has set out in this thread how to crack this case, so off you go.

No veggies for you till you report back with news of these scumbags' arrest.

And these criminals have no idea about cell tracking/triangulating? Me thinks they are a tiny little bit more clever than that and left any TRACEABLE phones at home. They also watch CSI....