How to stop the Cycling Carnage on SA's roads?

Bonus

Bear in mind that in THAT example the bikes were MTB's, next to TWO tracks next to the road .. yet this one gent was riding in the middle of the lane, blocking traffic with absolutely no reason.

The only given fact - he IS p!ssing off car riders .... 

Moral of the story - as cyclists we want cars to respect us ... yet all too often cyclists are the ones instigating the cycle of idiotic behaviour.

:thumbup:  MUTUAL RESPECT  :thumbup:

As I said I agree with what you said.  Just that one little statement stood out for me how people are still obliged to pass when it is not safe (regardless if a cyclist was an idiot or not).  I noticed it now again when I was in SA as we drove to PE and other places.  People insist on passing where it is not safe but yet squeeze by into oncomming traffic.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I been in the U.K. for a month and the only thing to stop the carnage is driver education and severe punishments if you bump a cyclist. I feel safer here cycling on A roads during rush hour traffic than I did in the cradle in the cycling lanes. I Cannot believe how patient people are here and there are loads of cyclists on the roads here from commuters to sports minded cyclists.

Sadly, neither of the above will ever happen in ZA.

This morning I flew over the bonnet of a Ford KA. I was on the left shoulder of the left lane and he was on the right lane before he cut accross to take an offramp.

The chap stopped, got out of his car with a knuckle duster on and gave me a k53 lecture.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

This morning I flew over the bonnet of a Ford KA. I was on the left shoulder of the left lane and he was on the right lane before he cut accross to take an offramp.

The chap stopped, got out of his car with a knuckle duster on and gave me a k53 lecture.

I hope you got his details?

Sadly, neither of the above will ever happen in ZA.

South Africans see driving as a right. We feel culturally entitled to be allowed to drive and we sometimes forget that we are getting behind the wheel of a piece of machinery which physics dictates is damn deadly.

I was guilty of the attitude. I couldn't believe I failed my drivers the first time, but in retrospect, I'm damn glad I did fail. Made me get serious about the implications of having a drivers license.

I went to university in a town where it is hella easy to buy a drivers license which in retrospect blows my mind. You can...buy...a drivers license...to you know...wield a deadly weapon. **** me.

South Africans see driving as a right. We feel culturally entitled to be allowed to drive and we sometimes forget that we are getting behind the wheel of a piece of machinery which physics dictates is damn deadly.

I was guilty of the attitude. I couldn't believe I failed my drivers the first time, but in retrospect, I'm damn glad I did fail. Made me get serious about the implications of having a drivers license.

I went to university in a town where it is hella easy to buy a drivers license which in retrospect blows my mind. You can...buy...a drivers license...to you know...wield a deadly weapon. **** me.

We've all heard the stories and know that you can "buy" driving licenses - It's only when you actually think about it that you realise the significance of the fact. People with NO TRAINING WHATSOEVER are sharing the roads with you. And there are lots of them :-(

Hopefully you, and your bike are ok.

Would you be able to give some details? eg road, off-ramp, points of K53 which were dispensed etc?

Assuming you reported it to the police would you mind keeping us posted on the status of this?  Would like to see where this is going.  What (if any) support do you get from the police, etc, etc.

• 1 month later...

Commuter killed this morning on Rudolph Greyling rd, Bloemfontein. I suspect the vrot skedonk which stood on scene hit the guy.

I know that I'm catching the tail-end of the thread, so forgive me if I'm asking questions that have already been addressed. 

Does anyone know if the PPA has developed a risk management plan or conducted a literature review on road cycling related injuries? I see that there is a significant amount of local and international literature that are offering evidence-based strategies to reduce these injuries.