How to stop the Cycling Carnage on SA's roads?

Bonus

Coincidentally, this article was published on 27th Jan regarding cycling in the busier parts of Spain:

The DGT has announced a range of measures they plan to implement this year, all aimed at reducing the number of fatalities and casualties from road traffic incidents.

One of the measures announced is expressly aimed at protecting cyclists, after figures show an increase in the number of incidents involving bicycles. The plan is to restrict the maximum permitted speed on certain roads and on certain days, at times when there is a possibility of an increase in the number of cyclists using the routes, such as Sunday mornings, for example.

Of course reducing the maximum speed limit still relies on the drivers adhering to the law and respecting the maximum speed limits and so the risk is still an issue when drivers choose to ignore the law.

http://n332.es/2017/01/27/new-restrictions-to-improve-safety/

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The law should be changed so that people require a license for riding a bicycle, and before they get their car licenses at 18 they must ride a motorbike for 2 or 3 years.

Once you've ridden a motorbike you are infinitely more aware of cyclist, pedestrians and other road hazards, and inherently safer.

Not to be a negative nancy, but our roads will just get worse. 

With more and more unlicensed drivers and cars on the roads, and nothing being done by our law enforcement and/or repercussions to any offenders the odds are stacked. And lately, I see the same disdain for any road rules developing in the Western Cape as what can be seen in Gauteng, with the idiots from the Northern Subs (especially those CF cars) leading the pack with driving like absolute assholes.

It's almost like an orange/red traffic light means drop a gear, or if you need to turn left you don't need to stop at all when it's red.

You only need to drive around in Brackenfell on a weekend morning to witness the previous night's carnage with lampposts and traffic lights flattened aroud intersections.

It's like a virus and it is spreading.

I know I will take some flak for this .... but CF and CFR drivers are the worst drivers in the Western Cape ... in my opinion  :ph34r:

One of the really big problems are drivers impatience (even cyclists driving with their bikes on the back of vehicles). They  seem to want to cut you off so that they can get to their destination a few seconds earlier.

Another growing problem is texting while driving. Drivers eyes are not on the road and they drift into other lanes completely oblivious to the road. 

I don't see anything being done about the complete lawlessness on our roads and as a result, total carnage.

I know I will take some flak for this .... but CF and CFR drivers are the worst drivers in the Western Cape ... in my opinion  :ph34r:

Oh, this morning I got a very close call by a EC car passing very close to me, and a little later a EC car came past and just turn left in front of me.

EC drivers, please go home already!

No denying the truth.

The fish rots from the head. We see it in every sphere of SA life. The gradual loss of accountability and lawlessness. We can either get sucked along with the decline or rise above it and in fact actively counter it in the way we behave. For every drop in standards we see, improve the way we behave be it riding or driving, in fact everywhere. Take a stand against it. Imagine if everybody did this?

The fish rots from the head. We see it in every sphere of SA life. The gradual loss of accountability and lawlessness. We can either get sucked along with the decline or rise above it and in fact actively counter it in the way we behave. For every drop in standards we see, improve the way we behave be it riding or driving, in fact everywhere. Take a stand against it. Imagine if everybody did this?

I can imagine if the majority (>50%) did this - we'd be one step closer.

The law should be changed so that people require a license for riding a bicycle, and before they get their car licenses at 18 they must ride a motorbike for 2 or 3 years.

Once you've ridden a motorbike you are infinitely more aware of cyclist, pedestrians and other road hazards, and inherently safer.

Agreed!

I'd go one step further towards creating a more tolerant & compassionate society & have all under 25's work a couple of days a week for a few months at Hospice.

Agreed!

I'd go one step further towards creating a more tolerant & compassionate society & have all under 25's work a couple of days a week for a few months at Hospice.

We could all do this by getting our kids and ourselves to participate in charities, right now.

No need to wait for it become legislation.

With CL not too far behind...

Educating cyclist and policing ourselves should be top of the list! I cannot for the life of me understand why some vain cyclist insits on riding 2 abreast or riding a meter inside the yellow line on busy routes!

Traveling to Grabouw this weekend we can across, a cyclist without a helmet on a busy route, had to break from 100km to absolutely nothing because an idiot was cycling 1 m inside the yellow line down a busy pass, multiple mountain bikers virtually blocking the entire road towards the country club. Some of these hero’s did not even make space for cars after being hooted at. None of the above cyclist were wearing any form of reflective or even just bright clothing.

If you guys are serious about road safety and want motorist to respect you and your right to use the road, you might want to respect them as well. We are currently seen by the general public as a nuisance on the roads because frankly some of us are. This perception need to be changed and we need to earn the respect from other road users by obeying the rules and being considerate.

We cannot really do much about the drunken idiots nore the texting morons knocking our fellow cyclist down but for the rest, it is time we as a community wakes up and look within. Next time I pull up next to you on the Golden Gate road and ask you nicely to stop cycling 2 abreast up a blind raise, don’t swear me but rather stop putting you live in motorist hand.

This morning I was again reminded how different the attitude of drivers are here.  On my way to work I noticed that the cars keep a even bigger distance between them and the cyclist.  I came to an end of a cycle path that basically led out into the normal road but on the wrong side.  So I had to cross it to move over to the right.  I noticed a car from behind and I will stick to the left until he passed and then cross over.  As I look again over my shoulder I noticed he reduced his speed and is waiting for me to cross with a good 40 - 50 meter clearance between me and him.

Educating cyclist and policing ourselves should be top of the list! I cannot for the life of me understand why some vain cyclist insits on riding 2 abreast or riding a meter inside the yellow line on busy routes!

Traveling to Grabouw this weekend we can across, a cyclist without a helmet on a busy route, had to break from 100km to absolutely nothing because an idiot was cycling 1 m inside the yellow line down a busy pass, multiple mountain bikers virtually blocking the entire road towards the country club. Some of these hero’s did not even make space for cars after being hooted at. None of the above cyclist were wearing any form of reflective or even just bright clothing.

If you guys are serious about road safety and want motorist to respect you and your right to use the road, you might want to respect them as well. We are currently seen by the general public as a nuisance on the roads because frankly some of us are. This perception need to be changed and we need to earn the respect from other road users by obeying the rules and being considerate.

We cannot really do much about the drunken idiots nore the texting morons knocking our fellow cyclist down but for the rest, it is time we as a community wakes up and look within. Next time I pull up next to you on the Golden Gate road and ask you nicely to stop cycling 2 abreast up a blind raise, don’t swear me but rather stop putting you live in motorist hand.

I think you answered yourself there If i read your statement correctly.

I'd like to remind faniepret that the problem under discussion exists because motorists do not respect cyclists enough. Remember that a cyclist that crashes into a car will only most likely injure him/herself. A motorist can kill one or more cyclists in one pass and drive away unscathed. Who carries the greater weight of responsibility here?

Motorists regard cyclists as being a nuisance because they dont recognise our right to be on the road, so they don't treat us as legitimate road users. Obviously a bicycle cannot move as fast as a car. Where there is no designated bicycle lane (the yellow zone is NOT a designated cycling lane!), a cyclist is LEGALLY OBLIGED to ride in the road. The drivers of cars behind the cyclists are LEGALLY OBLIGED to acknowledge the right of the cyclist to be there, and to behave accordingly i.e. with respect and patience. 

What we suffer from is a general and profound lack of sophistication that engenders an inherent understanding of why we need to respect each other and the rules of the road - so that all of us can do what we need to do without anyone getting hurt. But so many of us don't even know the rules - what can we expect from Joe Public if police officers don't even know that it's illegal for cyclists to ride facing oncoming traffic?

Archived