Need advice! Getting screwed by local hubber

Tom wells

WOW!! Seems like i missed the action here today.. SO THE ACCUSED IS NONE BUT I - Apologies for keeping everyone in so much suspense.. Sorry for the fact that i work an honest job people.. So i check my messages this afternoon and find this.. Firstly yes the seller is a friend who's just started riding and wanted a cool looking bike so bought the wheels not knowing that you cant run a Campy Shimano mix.. So he asked me to resell the wheels for him.. Little did i know i would find myself in this heep of cool stuff.. 

I must say that Tom Wells, i do understand your frustration but at least TRY to understand mine. 

At first i advertised the wheels as 10 speed because i was not certain.. A few people who responded to the ad asked whether an 11 speed cassette would fit? To which my reply to all of them was "I'm not certain but you're welcome to bring an 11's cassette along when you view and check for yourself as i have a spare 10's cassette that requires a spacer" The first guy who came to view the wheels did exactly that and HIS 11 speed ultegra cassette fitted on the wheel.. So naturally my thoughts were that they are indeed 11's compatible and this is when i proceeded to advertise them as 10/11's . I'd like to point out here that i'm not a bike mechanic man. So if i see that a cassette fits a wheel then it should apply to every other similar cassette.. And it turns out you have the exact same cassette as the guy who viewed? So how on earth would i know the difference? 

So after being called a Scamster and a cheater by you ( deforamtion of character by the way and very uncool). I contacted the first guy who came to view the wheels who happened to end up buying another set exactly the same but with new tubbies already fitted. He even sent me a pic of the wheels he ended up buying with his 11's cassette fitted to the wheels. I then noticed that his Ultegra cassette had a SRAM lockring on it and asked him about it. He said he used the SRAM lockring because it had longer reach to tighten the cassette.. ( HOW WAS SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT??? ) 

None the less.. As i told you. The seller had already spent the cash from the wheels. I personally cannot afford to buy them back from you or it would have been done already and we would have avoided this little action movie and some hubbers could have saved some cash on popcorn.. 

I've been nothing but NICE to you even through you calling me a Scamster and a Cheater. I even went out of my way to package and drop the wheels off at your parents place which is not exactly around the corner from me..I also practically begged you to simply re-advertise the wheels for what it costed you (R4200 wheels and R500 for courier costs = R4700 ) to which your reply was ( In a nutshell ) Hell no.. You're not up to that hassle.. Instead you want to waste another R500 on sending them back to CT and get only R4200 refunded.. So you're prepared to take a R1000 loss and send it back to me. But you're not prepared to simply try to resell and recover your cost.. ( Just doesnt make any sense at all )

Personally i think the amount of effort and research you've gone through to prove to me that the cassette wont fit and then this.. Is way more effort than it would have taken to just re-advertise the wheels. I also said to you that there is no better time to try and sell them than now ( 3 weeks ago ) Before 70.3 and before all the big road races. But you wouldn't to even try to help us out here.. You sent me a cost for R1800 for the replacement of your freehub. Honestly i cannot afford that either!! Being dead honest here. 

SO WHAT NOW>???? 

post-49959-0-03283700-1485874420_thumb.jpg

post-49959-0-34489000-1485874428_thumb.jpg

post-49959-0-58932400-1485874452_thumb.jpg

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something i do if iam selling something for someone. I always check it out myself and whilst i advertise at his/her asking price i base the condition/description on what i think its in not what he/she claims.

At the end of the day its the advertiser rep on the line not the owner who wants it sold hence your discreption needs to be 150% correct to prevent any back and fourth between the buyer and seller which can become unsavoury thus leaving the owner of the item scott free with no stress to deal with.

Edited by Malpiet

WOW!! Seems like i missed the action here today.. SO THE ACCUSED IS NONE BUT I - Apologies for keeping everyone in so much suspense.. Sorry for the fact that i work an honest job people.. So i check my messages this afternoon and find this.. Firstly yes the seller is a friend who's just started riding and wanted a cool looking bike so bought the wheels not knowing that you cant run a Campy Shimano mix.. So he asked me to resell the wheels for him.. Little did i know i would find myself in this heep of cool stuff..

I must say that Tom Wells, i do understand your frustration but at least TRY to understand mine.

At first i advertised the wheels as 10 speed because i was not certain.. A few people who responded to the ad asked whether an 11 speed cassette would fit? To which my reply to all of them was "I'm not certain but you're welcome to bring an 11's cassette along when you view and check for yourself as i have a spare 10's cassette that requires a spacer" The first guy who came to view the wheels did exactly that and HIS 11 speed ultegra cassette fitted on the wheel.. So naturally my thoughts were that they are indeed 11's compatible and this is when i proceeded to advertise them as 10/11's . I'd like to point out here that i'm not a bike mechanic man. So if i see that a cassette fits a wheel then it should apply to every other similar cassette.. And it turns out you have the exact same cassette as the guy who viewed? So how on earth would i know the difference?

So after being called a Scamster and a cheater by you ( deforamtion of character by the way and very uncool). I contacted the first guy who came to view the wheels who happened to end up buying another set exactly the same but with new tubbies already fitted. He even sent me a pic of the wheels he ended up buying with his 11's cassette fitted to the wheels. I then noticed that his Ultegra cassette had a SRAM lockring on it and asked him about it. He said he used the SRAM lockring because it had longer reach to tighten the cassette.. ( HOW WAS SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT??? )

None the less.. As i told you. The seller had already spent the cash from the wheels. I personally cannot afford to buy them back from you or it would have been done already and we would have avoided this little action movie and some hubbers could have saved some cash on popcorn..

I've been nothing but NICE to you even through you calling me a Scamster and a Cheater. I even went out of my way to package and drop the wheels off at your parents place which is not exactly around the corner from me..I also practically begged you to simply re-advertise the wheels for what it costed you (R4200 wheels and R500 for courier costs = R4700 ) to which your reply was ( In a nutshell ) Hell no.. You're not up to that hassle.. Instead you want to waste another R500 on sending them back to CT and get only R4200 refunded.. So you're prepared to take a R1000 loss and send it back to me. But you're not prepared to simply try to resell and recover your cost.. ( Just doesnt make any sense at all )

Personally i think the amount of effort and research you've gone through to prove to me that the cassette wont fit and then this.. Is way more effort than it would have taken to just re-advertise the wheels. I also said to you that there is no better time to try and sell them than now ( 3 weeks ago ) Before 70.3 and before all the big road races. But you wouldn't to even try to help us out here.. You sent me a cost for R1800 for the replacement of your freehub. Honestly i cannot afford that either!! Being dead honest here.

SO WHAT NOW>????

If they are so easy to sell, perhaps you sell them on behalf of the unhappy buyer? Solves his problem of the hassle, and yours of not being able to refund him out of your own pocket.... Edited by Patchelicious

If they are so easy to sell, perhaps you sell them on behalf of the unhappy buyer? Solves his problem of the hassle, and hours of not being able to refund him out of your own pocket....

I would gladly do that Patch. All I can do is advertise it for him though as his in JHB and I'm in CT... 

I would advise him to make the decision to sell fast though as even right now there is a guy selling what seems to be the exact same set of wheels different colour scheme for R6995. Almost R3000 more than what Tom bought his for? 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/231803-swift-carbon-50mm-road-wheelset-free-courier/

None the less.. As i told you. The seller had already spent the cash from the wheels. I personally cannot afford to buy them back from you. You sent me a cost for R1800 for the replacement of your freehub. Honestly i cannot afford that either!! Being dead honest here.

Why are you the one that is declining the refund if you were the middleman in all of this ?

Surely your 'friend 'whom you sold the wheels on behalf of should refund/carry the cost to sort out.

Between the OP and the seller. Surely just get the SRAM lockring and all is good? ... less than a bucket of KFC.  ..... jessie h crisis man.

"I then noticed that his Ultegra cassette had a SRAM lockring on it and asked him about it. He said he used the SRAM lockring because it had longer reach to tighten the cassette.. "

FP, the owner needs to step up here. However innocent the mistake was in selling the wheels as being 11 speed compatible, they are not. You guys have all clearly learnt a valuable lesson on this particular sale, that is based on getting the facts entirely correct. There is no room for guesswork when it comes to wheels.

The extenuating circumstances suggest that you will all need to have some proper comms around what will be a workable solution to this. 

The easiest and obvious choice is to machine it so that it can take the 11 speed cassette as per spec. Problem solved, minor cost. I suggest working towards this based on the other info presented if Tom is happy to go this route.

(Well done for stepping up and participating in the thread FP!)

None the less.. As i told you. The seller had already spent the cash from the wheels. I personally cannot afford to buy them back from you. You sent me a cost for R1800 for the replacement of your freehub. Honestly i cannot afford that either!! Being dead honest here.

Why are you the one that is declining the refund if you were the middleman in all of this ?

Surely your 'friend 'whom you sold the wheels on behalf of should refund/carry the cost to sort out.

Unfortunately he also doesn't have the cash to refund it and the buyer is wanting the cash back from me as he dealt with me 

I agree with Tom Wells - Why should he have to now try and sell the wheels because your friend gave you the wrong info & has subsequently spent the money and cannot refund the purchaser?

The purchaser was not sent what he ordered so he is in his right to want a refund.

FP - Your original post seems to try and push the blame back on the purchaser -- Not cool.

Why does your friend not arrange to pay him over two months - For me it is a principle thing...

Everyone buggers up - It's how you fix it that counts.

FP, the owner needs to step up here. However innocent the mistake was in selling the wheels as being 11 speed compatible, they are not. You guys have all clearly learnt a valuable lesson on this particular sale, that is based on getting the facts entirely correct. There is no room for guesswork when it comes to wheels.

The extenuating circumstances suggest that you will all need to have some proper comms around what will be a workable solution to this. 

The easiest and obvious choice is to machine it so that it can take the 11 speed cassette as per spec. Problem solved, minor cost. I suggest working towards this based on the other info presented if Tom is happy to go this route.

(Well done for stepping up and participating in the thread FP!)

I agree TH. Thanks for that.. A valuable lesson indeed which i learnt and forgot a few years back on hub.. Just came back to bite me in the buttocks..

Machining seems like the best and most affordable solution if he really wants to keep and use the wheels otherwise i'd gladly re-advertise them on his behalf as Patch suggested.. 

I agree with Tom Wells - Why should he have to now try and sell the wheels because your friend gave you the wrong info & has subsequently spent the money and cannot refund the purchaser?

The purchaser was not sent what he ordered so he is in his right to want a refund.

FP - Your original post seems to try and push the blame back on the purchaser -- Not cool.

Why does your friend not arrange to pay him over two months - For me it is a principle thing...

Everyone buggers up - It's how you fix it that counts.

Yes i understand this.. Where the problem really comes in here is that the buyer only made us aware that the cassette doesn't fit almost 3 weeks after the transaction took place. Surely within those 3 weeks the cash would've been spent. And no i wasn't pushing blame. I stand for my mistakes.. Personally i think this was more of a technical misunderstanding that happened here.. I only sold what i saw.. and i saw an 11's cassette fit onto the wheel set.. And this is where the problem came in.. 

SO WHAT NOW>????

Not really his problem that you didn't have the facts straight on an item that you sold him, regardless of the reasons for that. Surely the easiest (reputation saving) solution would have been to have the wheels collected and refund the man his money. All this talk of him selling them etc etc is not fair on him and frankly I would also not be interested in going through the hassle to move something on that I had bought through misrepresentation.

How is he defaming you btw if you agree that you a) sold him an item that wasn't what you said it was and b) refused to make it right thereafter?

All these easy solutions are fine, but perhaps starting with an apology would have been a good idea.

Not really his problem that you didn't have the facts straight on an item that you sold him, regardless of the reasons for that. Surely the easiest (reputation saving) solution would have been to have the wheels collected and refund the man his money. All this talk of him selling them etc etc is not fair on him and frankly I would also not be interested in going through the hassle to move something on that I had bought through misrepresentation.

How is he defaming you btw if you agree that you a) sold him an item that wasn't what you said it was and b) refused to make it right thereafter?

All these easy solutions are fine, but perhaps starting with an apology would have been a good idea.

Ya. i didn't say he defamed me ( on this site ).. He did however in the whatsapp messages accuse me of cheating him and shafting him.. If thats what you mean? Anyway, as said before if he had let me know within the same frame period of receiving the wheels that they were not right then i could possibly have stopped the seller from spending the money.. but almost 3 weeks later if the money is spent then what can be done.. If neither the seller nor myself have the cash to solve this problem then what..? No one on this site knows what any other person's personal circumstances are so its quite easy for a guy with big pockets to say, just pay the buyer back its not his problem.. So i'm open to suggestions to resolving this issue so we can all be happy.. 

Edited by FlashingPedals

I agree that when you buy something and it's not as advertised it's annoying and ppl should be called out of this . Which you did.

But this is not a train smash is it ? The wheels are in good nick or the op would not of had tubbies put on them. If there is a workable solution where by the op gets to keep the Wheels and not have to take the tyres off and courier back again. Surely that's 1st prize for all concerned especially the buyer. Albeit the SRAM locking or machining them or readvertising them on behalf of the op. Whatever it is surely the seller can pick up his cost to make the situation right.

Or does the op no longer really want the wheels ? 3 weeks is a farily long time to come to this conclusion . Or is it just me that would have them on my bike in 2/3 days .

The lesson here is don't ride shimano ???? no such problems with Campagnolo ????

Edited by Pikey

Unfortunately he also doesn't have the cash to refund it and the buyer is wanting the cash back from me as he dealt with me

If the ammo was there to splash out on the wheels in the first place then make a plan and refund for the wheels. Advertise and sell to someone else once all is sorted out . Alternatively chat to Tom and see if he will accept a new freebody or machining of existing one. Plenty options to solve the problem. Just don't ignore the man as that will make matters worse.